Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I bought ten tickets and if I win I am buying one of those silo houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm gonna buy some fast cars and dump my girlfriend

Haha yeah this too except my wife and children

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

lol @ people pinning their hopes and dreams for wealth and success on a bunch of $2 tickets because they lack the smarts, drive, luck and connections to make their own wealth :smugjones:

That said, I'll buy a ticket so I won't feel left out. :unsmith:

I'm rich as hell and bought ten tickets, can't win if you don't play.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

I'm approaching a .61 cent ROI on my 10,000 year investment on my simulated powerball.

I think its designed to be 50% so you are beating the odds.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
How loving stoked do you think your fictional timeless man was those nine times that he won ten thousand dollars? I mean, each of those covered his next fifty years of gambling.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Also nobody won so keep this thread open, next jackpot is gonna be like $500m.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

So with about $400 million dollars do you think its feasible for me to buy an island, arm a military, declare myself an independent nation, and declare war on ISIS? And also Portugal.

Yeah it's pretty much the Philiosopher's Legacy now.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Pro tip, just do what people who have money do, move into a gated AF community and let the police keep the poors away from you, get an estate lawyer, buy a small business that runs in the black, give your friends and family job preference.

People with money don't just walk outside their gated community into roving bands of mad max like bandits, also you have money, just hire a good loving lawyers, lol if you think having money is some kind of ridiculous burden, although im sure there are upper middle class educated people who think they can pick stocks so maybe you will graduate from losing money on the lotto to losing lots of money on hilariously bad bets you think are "investments".

Like do people really think suddenly not having to worry about making money for the rest of your life is so goddamned hard??

Fake Edit: These are probably the people who think its better to make 15k a year rather that 150k a year because you lose so much money moving up those tax brackets, goddamned you people are loving dumb.

Fake Edit 2: Literally pants on head dumb, maybe thats why they play the lotto though.

you sound mad

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I know what I would do if I won the powerball, but im also not going to waste even 2 dollars on a ticket, the miniscule amount of calories it could buy me would be a better option.

AHAHAHA are you really this loving poor? Listen, permanently cancel your Internet subscription right now and I will send you literally one million Calories (that's capital C Calorie) worth of cheap, vitamin-rich food. I'll also include one Powerball ticket for this Wednesday's drawing.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's the word on donating the ticket to a blind trust you set up? Seems like the way to go.

In most states (someone upthread said in all but six) an actual person must claim the prize. You can and should set up a trust or other organization, especially if you're splitting the prize, but at the end of the day someone must put their face out there as the winner.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

i think the bigger effect would be from the death of all but 800 people in America

aw you're no fun

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
CNN says that you should buy every ticket

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/news/powerball-jackpot-win-guarantee/index.html

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
based on my calculations I can probably afford something like the Space X program so that's probably what I'll do

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MiracleWhale posted:

plane gets shot down by isis

I think this would still be a win for Three Olives

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
in order for the jackpot to be big enough to pay every american one million dollars the average american would have to contribute about two million dollars so the economy would end up just fine

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Your expected value math is off, it's still -EV to buy a ticket due to the odds of a split jackpot. It's still +FUNEV though to buy a ticket.

edit: also you seem to chop all the prizes in half but still deduct $2 for the ticket

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 13, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's smarter to take the lump sum because the lottery buys government bonds with the rest of the money and over any 20 year period the S&P 500 index has outperformed government bonds. It's still bullshit that they do it that way though, $1.5 billion prize, cash value $900m!!!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

jon joe posted:

Let's say you know the winning numbers. From a dream, God told you, aliens beamed it into your brain, whatever. Should you buy the winning ticket? Probably. But you shouldn't stop there. Every ticket your purchase with the 5 regular numbers, but the wrong powerball, nets you 1 million dollars at the cost of 2. With power play, that's 2 million dollars at the cost of 3. If you purchase 1000 power play tickets with the right regular numbers and wrong powerball, that costs 3 thousand dollars and gains you 2 billion, net gain 1,999,996,000.00 before taxes. That's an investment gain of 666666.67%. Sure you'll be in court hell forever as the lottery tries to figure out how you cheated, but when they come up with nothing they'll be forced to pay you (with interest over time, because they won't have enough cash on hand to lump sum you, so it'll be closer to 2 billion plus 5%ish on the remaining capital for every year they fail to pay you everything.) You could technically do it for more, but that ups the chance the lottery dissolves and pays you however much its corpse is worth, instead. Or maybe that's what dream God alien wanted.

There's a specific provision that they'll simply reduce the prizes if they don't have enough money.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Zogo posted:

That's a very conservative estimate of the annuity take home amount because the gov't fat cats/politicians are going to take a lot in some states.

Yeah alright I can get down with that. I'd probably put it upfront in the analysis especially since payouts under I think $600 aren't explicitly recorded for taxation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

This is what a single line ticket looks like

I have a single line ticket and it doesn't look like that, must vary by state.

• Locked thread