Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If there is a single winner, it will become a horror film plot for that person. They will be hunted down by random people on the street because everyone is somehow going to think that it's sort of like that movie SWAT meets Burger King's Herb character and a leprechaun: If they manage to get their hands on you (or anyone of your loved ones), you have to magically award them $100,000,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If I win, I'm going to spend $1000 on posters from Spencer's Gifts.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

What if a state has powerball and mega millions, then you're just confusing the poor guy and delaying everyone by 2-3 valuable seconds!

The clerk is just going to sell them a regular low-prize state lottery ticket. So, even if they DID win, it's only a paltry few million bucks; you're hardly making enough money to justify spending the couple of bucks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

"I'd like the winning ticket please. Hur hur hur"

"Sorry, already printed that one for myself"

Shuts them up every time.

No. That makes them furious.

"Well then, sport, you better be printin' up another one for me. Ha. ha. ha..."
(then a few minutes later, after they pace around the store a few minutes)
"You know, you better hope and pray you don't you win, you little cock-suckin' piece of poo poo, because if I find out you've got the winning ticket I'm going to come and take that money right out of your no-good pissant rear end... I also need to pre-pay $10 on pump 12."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Stay Safe Lottery Ghost.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I might buy the rights to the Dreamcast name from Sega and support a kickstarter to churn out a POS android-based Dreamcast 2 just to shut everyone up about that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think another problem when you try to start a business or something with lottery winnings and the like, you have to deal with people being very confrontational with it because, "Well, YOU won the lottery, why are YOU charging ME so much for these goods and services?! YOU can afford to be cheaper!" or "That guy is putting legit, hardworking business owners out of work because he's got lottery winnings. He doesn't NEED to run a business to support himself!"

Also: If I win, I will request to Donald Trump that he makes me his running mate as we'd both the be ultimate government outsiders: Rich guys with a lot of money and not beholden to anyone.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Someone's about to be the most hated person in the country.

Whenever it gets big like this, someone has to gently caress it up, though, by not letting us have a single winner. It's always 17 people who were part of a pool or 3 different people in 2 different states.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The winner will be part of a pool consisting of 10 people. However, the previous drawings had 12 people and they won a few bucks and flipped that around into more tickets.

Now the two people who didn't invest in this pool will sue on the basis that their contribution to the previous lower-prize winning pool were flipped into the jackpot winning pool and they are entitled to 1-8% each of the total winnings. It will drag out in court for months until a settlement is reached where someone who just wants their loving money gives them a fraction of their winnings to just get on with their lives.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

That's some real messed up revisionist history on Abe Lincoln.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Zogo posted:

Lottery officials are probably pocketing the overflow at this point.

When it gets this huge, what they should do is start funneling it off into a separate jackpot at the $1B mark. People are still going to play for only $1B, BUT once that is won, you've instantly got another ongoing jackpot of of maybe $300-$500M which could easily climb back up to $1B within a few weeks from the momentum.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

soy posted:

I like the idea of the cash payout getting higher than 1 billion after tax. Just imagine opening your bank account and it has a billion dollars in it. Would your bank just explode? I know how FDIC insurance works but can you even have that much in an account? loving god drat.

A bank failing with your $1B will be like a real world version of when Rockstar resets your GTA Online account when they think its full of money from some exploited money hack.

You didn't work for the money, you got it really easily, and *poof* it's all gone.

edit: At least I still have my cars and apartment.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Germstore posted:

FDIC only covers $250,000 per account. But that's per bank, and per type of account. You could easily get a few million insured by spreading it across multiple banks and accounts. You probably wouldn't put the vast majority of the money in a bank though.

However, from the FDIC webpage, there is this: https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/brochures/your_insured_deposits-english.html

You have to split it between several different banks (and not branches of the same bank) and under multiple types of ownership categories to maximize your protection.

I guess you'd also have to run the risk of future bank mergers that might end up consolidating your insurance coverage to a fraction of itself, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hold a press conference at a school that screwed me over and announce I was giving them a huge donation.

"Nine-point-eig---. You know, I'm going to just round this up to an even ten bucks because I don't want you guys to have to make change."

Toss it on the podium and walk out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Give Swery65 $100M to make 2-5 movies/games of anything he wants.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I want the opposite: I want Trump to have a press conference tomorrow and show off his winning ticket and tell the GOP if THEY want a winning ticket, too, they know who to look to.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Honestly, I sort of would be equal parts amused, horrified and furious if Trump just bought 10,000 QP Powerball tickets and won the jackpot.

edit: Trump will run with the ticket as his VP candidate. It'll be one hell of a PR move.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mdm posted:

According to the 2010 United States Census, Chino Hills had a median household income of $97,065, with 6.3% of the population living below the federal poverty line.

But that mean household income is about to get skewed.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

What happens if that person dies before they claim their prize

Most googled question from Chino Hills at the moment.

edit: And the surrounding area.
Second most googled question: How to get away with murder -ABC -TVshow

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 14, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Roger Craig posted:

They want to get the security footage of the ticket winner before he declares so they can steal his ticket

I'm guessing this. If the person lays low long enough, I'm sure someone will leak a the store security footage on youtube at like 1AM.

Ironically, the tape that would have captured the identity of the buyer was recorded over to capture the activities of the crowds rushing the store right now.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
They're doing this wrong, though: You don't look for the man who bought a winning lotto ticket like this one by going backwards to the scene of the crime.

You SHOULD be on the lookout for people who are actively trying to get away from Chino Hills as fast as they can...

"EVERYONE! HE'S ON THE HIGHWAY! START CHASING ANYONE!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

RedQueen posted:

I don't think they tell the store anything about the date/time of the purchase

I think a few times they have announced, though, "Oh, the winning ticket was sold at a 7-11 on Monday". Maybe that's a state-by-state lottery commission decision, though, in part to help inform potential quick-pick buyers or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Melmac posted:

So even if he is lying, he's going to be getting harassed. And nothing to benefit from it.

Sell the movie rights to the story: A guy makes a facsimile of a winning lotto ticket on the internet as a joke and it explodes into a social media and real-life nightmare over the next 48 hours until the real winner comes forward.

This Fall: Adam Sandler presents, "The Imitation Game"

Wait, poo poo... That title's already taken...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Turns out it was a hoax, the Son lied to his mom and she didn't win.

Only 6 of her 7 kids were nurses. He's probably the comedian in the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Is there any evidence the home invasion was actually connected to winning the lottery there? I mean its not like you can rob someone's bank account (at last not without marrying them first hue hue hue) so I doubt busting into a lotto winner's house is gonna get you too much more money than any decently well off neighborhood.

I'm not sure how true this story is, but I've heard talk of in our area several years ago there was a murder that happened because of some guy whose mom died. He told some people he worked with that when she died that she'd left him a bunch of money and they came over to his house and beat the poo poo out of him looking for the money and when they couldn't find it they forced him to write checks for cash, and then killed him.

I think there was a kidnapping case a few years ago where someone forced a kidnapped person to give them their ATM card and PIN and then went around trying to get as much as they could from ATMs for the next few days.

At the worst, a recent lotto winner might have a lot of new impulse buy items that you can take that are valuable.

• Locked thread