Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I didn't know Max Payne had taken up speedrunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Popehoist posted:

I didn't know Max Payne had taken up speedrunning
Funny as hell, it's the most horrible thing I can think of.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Funny as hell, it's the most horrible thing I can think of.

:golfclap:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
edit: poo poo confused this thread for actual discussion

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Wasn't this the guy that ran Goldeneye at one GDQ and kept saying poo poo like "yeah baby" and "come on baby"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

disjoe posted:

Wasn't this the guy that ran Goldeneye at one GDQ and kept saying poo poo like "yeah baby" and "come on baby"

Yeah but I think that was because he was making fun of another Goldeneye runner that kept saying that when he got a world record on twitch or something

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

disjoe posted:

Yeah, that's tminator, who did a legit awesome speedrun of Viewtiful Joe a year ago or so. He's not here this year because of drama poo poo I think.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

SilentW posted:

Yeah, that's tminator, who did a legit awesome speedrun of Viewtiful Joe a year ago or so. He's not here this year because of drama poo poo I think.

That's very unfortunate. Probably banned because he EXPOSED SPEEDRUNNERS FOR THE FRAUDS THEY ARE.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

SilentW posted:

I think your confused because the Goldeneye runner in the linked video is RWhiteGoose

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

BattleHamster posted:

I think your confused because the Goldeneye runner in the linked video is RWhiteGoose

Oops. I guess all speedrunners look the same to me.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Can't wait for the Disney singalong, because if there's one thing nerds don't do enough it's that.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

cronox2 posted:

Can't wait for the Disney singalong, because if there's one thing nerds don't do enough it's that.

The couch being donation shamed into awkwardly reprising the Doot Doo Doo Crew, last year was so wonderfully cringeworthy.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

best speed runner big jon is getting harassed by agdq staff

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

slev posted:

Just let the man have his Golf speedrun already.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Someone explain it to me like I'm five how you would find this enjoyable to do and/or watch(the actual speed running. Not the drama). I don't get it. Is it like my grandparents not understanding how my parents can like rock and roll music?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Holyshoot posted:

Someone explain it to me like I'm five how you would find this enjoyable to do and/or watch(the actual speed running. Not the drama). I don't get it. Is it like my grandparents not understanding how my parents can like rock and roll music?

You're literally being your grandparents.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Some people who enjoy video games like to watch other people be really good at video games. Obviously not everyone finds all speedruns to be interesting (Fire Emblem can gently caress right off) but games that allow a lot of technical gameplay or have interesting glitches can be fun to watch.

As for how people find it interesting to do in the first place, uh, I dunno, why do people find games fun to play at all I guess?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

symbolic posted:

Just let the man have his Golf speedrun already.

I think its less to do with the golf speedrun and more to do with the 400 pound black man talking to a bunch of socially awkward pasty white kids.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Klades posted:

Some people who enjoy video games like to watch other people be really good at video games. Obviously not everyone finds all speedruns to be interesting (Fire Emblem can gently caress right off) but games that allow a lot of technical gameplay or have interesting glitches can be fun to watch.

As for how people find it interesting to do in the first place, uh, I dunno, why do people find games fun to play at all I guess?

Watching somebody completely break a game that you thought you knew well is fun.

Though events like this make it really hard to endure when they don't screen anyone, plan anything beyond the basic schedule, or seem have a contingency plan if things start to go off the rails. Safer to just wait until the event is over and then recap the good parts -- game and drama alike.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Congratulations, you're old.

But for a serious answer, it's fun watching people decimate and break a game over their knee. Even moreso when it's a game I've poured lots of time into, as it makes every little feat that much more impressive.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Holyshoot posted:

i love these events, but i know a bunch of people my age that get nothing out of it or only care about the games they've played extensively. I'm not sure what the determining factor is, but it's definitely a matter of taste

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

slev posted:

This is an outrage.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
#BlackSpeedRunnersLivesMatter

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

anyone who has seen BigJon run knows he is the best, and deserves nothing but respect, that really sucks

slev
Apr 6, 2009

According to Big Jon's stream agdq staff don't like him because he was distracting people at sgdq during lost levels, the game he was running.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I am still totally lost on the Stiv thing. He tried to barge into Cosmo/Siglemic's room while really drunk at 2:30 AM and got blown off by Sig, I guess? Where's the cuck thing coming from though?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

slev posted:

According to Big Jon's stream agdq staff don't like him because he was distracting people at sgdq during lost levels, the game he was running.

Seriously? That was one of the best runs of the entire nerdfest! Even in the SA thread, everyone agreed the guy was funny and charming as hell.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I am still totally lost on the Stiv thing. He tried to barge into Cosmo/Siglemic's room while really drunk at 2:30 AM and got blown off by Sig, I guess? Where's the cuck thing coming from though?

From that time the same week where he hosed another man's wife

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seriously? That was one of the best runs of the entire nerdfest! Even in the SA thread, everyone agreed the guy was funny and charming as hell.

Yeah public opinion on big John has done a hard 180 since golf got rejected. Entirely due to his handling of the situation.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Crain posted:

Yeah public opinion on big John has done a hard 180 since golf got rejected. Entirely due to his handling of the situation.

What happened?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
AGDQ Drama.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Crain posted:

Apparently no one personally told him they have a problem with him until now, at another GDQ event where he's just visiting 6 months after the fact. At least he claimed he learned just now for the first time that anyone had had any problem with him showing the NES Open cart after his Lost Levels run last summer.

Back in SGDQ I didn't even know who the guy was but enjoyed his run immensely and started following him since.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm lost on the Big Jon stuff.

So he just really wants to run NES Open Golf and it keeps getting rejected? Was he trying to sneak it in or something?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Quoting the video comments:

There was this 19/18 year old married couple known as ShowVideoGames(SVG). It consisted of, husband: Sam & wife: Deb. Sam went by the nickname Hereck, & his wife Deb went by the nickname Tolki. They were known on Twitch for doing a 720 Hour marathon of Pokemon X/Y, and also a month long marathon of Mario Kart 8 right before SGDQ(Summer Games Done Quickly) charity event June 2014.

At this event, Stivitybobo (One of the best Banjo-Kazooie speedrunners) who was best friends with Sam/Hereck (up to this point) slept with his wife, Tolki. There are other rumors you can find on the internet saying she slept with multiple guys and did stuff with them also. This upset the community alot, because Sam, is a genuinely good guy, and didn't deserve this type of betrayal.

So to wrap this up the donation was from "Sam - SVG" and said, " Hey guys, lost my wife THIS PAST JUNE, she LOVED banjo-kazooie speedruns, so here's some money for a great game, a great cause, and... a great runner".

*Notice he lost his wife in June(Month of the SGDQ event).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rW7LSUQ80

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I'm lost on the Big Jon stuff.

So he just really wants to run NES Open Golf and it keeps getting rejected? Was he trying to sneak it in or something?

He definitely wants to run it and it keeps getting rejected (and it's a really entertaining run that's pretty short and worth a GDQ spot, but what can you do).

I honestly don't really even know what the cart thing was all about, but I remember him showing it in the SGDQ stream during or after his Mario: Lost Levels run, and apparently now he's learning it was somehow a bad thing to do and caused some people to not want him around or something.

Also, the other thing is that the security people kept constantly badgering him when he was visiting AGDQ'16 (he lives nearby) and made him show his attendee badge time and time again, for whatever reason, which must be pretty frustrating.

If you're curious to hear the man himself speak of this stuff, go to 00:14:50 in this video. It goes on for a while but all the really interesting stuff is probably within the first 20 minutes or so.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 6, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He brought up NES Open Golf during his own run and they complained that it distracted people from his own run.

So yeah the committee is being a jackass about this but it kinda sounds like a group kept nagging them about Golf and they just lashed out at Jon after being frustrated over it.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Well maybe they should just let him run the drat golf game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a lot of ~drama~ is about how the charity event is being run

perhaps the people running GDQ are just shitheels or something and thus hate fun golf

also apparently because HL2 kid made a few "I'll give you my wood" jokes there's this twitter/tumblr outcry to ban him from the building immediately for rape jokes

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'd like to think the committee aren't weird elitist gamer people that think sports games don't count.

Like a speedrun for it is 15mins at worst I don't see why they can't squeeze it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

golf isn't a real sport or game hth

• Locked thread