Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Crain posted:

And this is why I don't listen to complaints about charities. People love to go "But we all know cancer is a thing, who gives a gently caress about "awareness" campaings~~~meyhhh~~~" when the reality is that people are loving morons. People don't know that sun exposure is a major cancer risk. Hell, it's only recently that people are waking up to the reality that tanning beds seriously need to be regulated and children need to be warned against excessive tanning. Hell, really even any tanning.

Direct funding for scientific and medical research are only make up a fraction of the activities that are needed for things like cancer prevention.

Agreed 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cowman posted:

I was specifically talking about PCF and not AGDQ's involvement or anything like that. I don't really mind them not correcting it (because of what Crain mentioned about people being loving idiots about cancer they probably wouldn't donate if they said it wasn't all going to research) but not specifying that it's an American thing is kinda lovely :\

Yeah i think it being an american charity is why people take issue with it being focused on prevention. But if you're dumb enough to donate to a charity you know nothing about then you can't really complain, and if you don't like it then just donate all your money to SGDQ, MSF is like the least controversial charity there is.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm very dumb so I only just now realized SGDQ is actually on. So I missed out on 4 days of juicy speedrunner drama.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Slip Slop Slap (Seek and Slide to I guess) you fucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nocIenCYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzA47J7QsVk

The Big Finish
Dec 24, 2007

Ekster posted:

I'm very dumb so I only just now realized SGDQ is actually on. So I missed out on 4 days of juicy speedrunner drama.

i am far too uninterested to actually watch the stream but given this thread there's been literally not a god drat thing happening this year. 6 pages for no drama.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

trh posted:

i am far too uninterested to actually watch the stream but given this thread there's been literally not a god drat thing happening this year. 6 pages for no drama.

There's been a few runs with horrible commentary but nothing like Tomba or Crash Bandicoot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my favorite thing was maybe a few years ago, as the credits rolled for some final fantasy or zelda game or something, some long haired blonde dude stood up and started weeping because "agdq provided a space for me" or some poo poo and the 3 people playing on the couch were just like "uhhhh" does anyone remember that? to be fair it could have been literally any year because I feel one guy always does this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

trh posted:

GDQ is getting better at handling the horde of nerds they use to raise money every year.

Complaints aside, along with how far they still probably have to go, that should be recognized.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah they're getting more and more professional, unfortunately.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

my favorite thing was maybe a few years ago, as the credits rolled for some final fantasy or zelda game or something, some long haired blonde dude stood up and started weeping because "agdq provided a space for me" or some poo poo and the 3 people playing on the couch were just like "uhhhh" does anyone remember that? to be fair it could have been literally any year because I feel one guy always does this.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNxk36AuIY

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ekster posted:

nothing's really happened dramawise.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

trh posted:

Mostly it's people pre-booted out and/or bitching on twitter, containment is getting better apparently

but still,

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well big john will be on the couch for battletoads. So if anything is going to happen it might be there.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crain posted:

Well big john will be on the couch for battletoads. So if anything is going to happen it might be there.
Jon is smart enough to be civil when he's on camera, seems like it's when he gets on twitter that he lets the salt out

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Have we had whining on twitter yet from bitter reactionaries about SJWs taking over another aspect of Gamer Culture because that seems to be a thing that happens with all nerd gatherings/hobbies/awards now.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Pierson posted:

Have we had whining on twitter yet from bitter reactionaries about SJWs taking over another aspect of Gamer Culture because that seems to be a thing that happens with all nerd gatherings/hobbies/awards now.

yea people got pissed that they told the HL2 runner kid to knock it off with the wood jokes that were really forced and awkward and bad anyways.

wood jokes were literally a piece of wood and shoving it into mossman/alyx's crotch and talking about wood and how she wants the wood. it was very bad and not even in the "oh how edgy and offensive" kind of way.

it was good they told him to knock it off because the run went from very awkward and rough to an extremely fun and entertaining and endearing one shortly after that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8Y5vRreGU

Same guy

:lol:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It must be nice to have absolutely no sense of shame.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pierson posted:

Only stuff I've seen from attendees was PvtCb and his buddies complaining that they are/were so nervous during their run because the GDQ staff put him on hard notice due to him making that ironic threat on twitter before the event.

Beyond that though not really that I've seen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL thank you for this.

My fave ADGQ things are always that one guy named Sypher or something who continues to play Gimmick better and better every year. Crazy game, love that guy's runs.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

This is beautiful. Right up there with the 30+ minute screaming match Werster had with his mother, live.

Edit: OK, only 14 minutes. I remembered it being longer for some reason. Still great.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 6, 2016

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

THat's one of the greatest things I have ever had the pleasure to see.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I love this, it reminds me of a video I saw a long time ago. It involved a kid playing I think Rainbow Six on the original xbox, and got into an argument with his mom over chocolate milk.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This is beautiful. Right up there with the 30+ minute screaming match Werster had with his mother, live.

Edit: OK, only 14 minutes. I remembered it being longer for some reason. Still great.

whaaaaaaat are they arguing about? something about werster's brother?

edit: oh, my god. I think I support werster in yelling at his mom here

Werster's brother hosed Werster's girlfriend, and allegedly his mom helped him do it by driving them places. So she knew it was going on, and didn't bother letting Werster in on it.

At least, that's what the comments on YouTube say.

Wow, what a stupid bitch! Aaaaand listening further to this, I despise his mother and brother. Just..who DOES that to their own child? And who does that to their own brother?

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 6, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

whaaaaaaat are they arguing about? something about werster's brother?

edit: oh, my god. I think I support werster in yelling at his mom here

Werster's brother hosed Werster's girlfriend, and allegedly his mom helped him do it by driving them places. So she knew it was going on, and didn't bother letting Werster in on it.

At least, that's what the comments on YouTube say.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Isn't werster like super racist? Or was?

All I know is that he gets mad at Pokemon games from time to time and is a literal 6 foot tall child.

E: he's Australian, of course he's racist.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Phone posted:

Isn't werster like super racist? Or was?

All I know is that he gets mad at Pokemon games from time to time and is a literal 6 foot tall child.

He's thrown "friend of the family" around a few times on stream, yes. He even did it during the AGDQ 2013 bonus stream.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Golden Goat posted:

I'd like to think the committee aren't weird elitist gamer people that think sports games don't count.

Like a speedrun for it is 15mins at worst I don't see why they can't squeeze it in.

I'd rather watch a 15min Golf speedrun than have to see another drat Fire Emblem run.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 6, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Phone posted:

you try living here

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Luceid posted:

you try living here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY73f1bRO6Q

Triamcinolone
Oct 18, 2009

He's thrown "friend of the family" around a few times on stream, yes. He even did it during the AGDQ 2013 bonus stream.

that is a really interesting case of ethical utilitarianism, imo

Insane Techniques
Nov 15, 2006

Version 9.0
So if you do actually search up the Sam SVG and Stivity thing, there is a...dedicated few people dragging it out since it happened, determined to "have closure". They just want all the juicy details, including all sorts of creepy stalkerish questions and comments on a subreddit made just to "investigate". I know it's the Internet but seriously.

For example, they're very concerned with finding out if she slept with 4 or 20 people. Very important stuff to get closure!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
In any group of people who are amused by drama there will be a smaller group that is legit creepy and WAY too into it, yeah

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They just want to know if there are nude pictures. Speed running audience, right?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Insane Techniques posted:

So if you do actually search up the Sam SVG and Stivity thing, there is a...dedicated few people dragging it out since it happened, determined to "have closure". They just want all the juicy details, including all sorts of creepy stalkerish questions and comments on a subreddit made just to "investigate". I know it's the Internet but seriously.

For example, they're very concerned with finding out if she slept with 4 or 20 people. Very important stuff to get closure!

Wait, wait, wait. Those creeplords are still going at it on Reddit? Wow. That means they've been internet stalking people involved in that clusterfuck and doing other creepy poo poo for literally 1.5 years. Goddamn. :gonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

slev posted:

best speed runner big jon is getting harassed by agdq staff

Real talk, I mainly tune in to these things for Big Jon commentary

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I feel like as the event tries harder to become more presentable and professional, we'll get less and less of these weirdos doing stuff on camera, but maybe more people sneaking in donation comments like that Sam SVG comment. Wasn't there a comment that weeded its way in last year that was like "people just died from cancer in France" after the Charlie Hebdo attacks?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly thats really sad and dude was probably super abused by his mom or something you can tell there's more going on there than like dude angry or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is there literally anything to prove that donation was made by the actual guy who was cheated on, or is this just some giant cuck nerd fantasy?

• Locked thread