Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ulvir posted:

my paperback version of war and peace (penguin) has this weird thing with the pages. though I guess with a massive book like that, it might be an advantage

Deckled pages are so annoying and make it impossible to flip through a book. It's just for book snobs to feel posh.

The snobbiest of all books are the paperbacks with dust jackets and deckled pages, not designed for reading but for showing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

boom boom boom posted:

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

edit: this is what I mean

I'm pretty sure he was talking about TPBs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

B format books, or small trade paperbacks in the US. It's nothing new but one of the standard paperback sizes.

Are you reading books from the UK/Europe? The U.S. doesn't use that format much, sticking mainly to mass market < trade paperback < hardcover.

The UK (and consequently most European publishing houses, though their terms vary) does A format (equivalent to mass market), B format (small trade), C format/demy (trade), and then the royal (hardcover).

B format has generally been considered more "prestigious" as it was traditionally used to distinguish literary fiction from genre fiction. Very few authors will ever be popular enough to get a royal printing, but many strive to be a B format author.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

oh, I guess I didn't quite get what you meant, I have never seen this format before actually. that is really ugly.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

ulvir posted:

my paperback version of war and peace (penguin) has this weird thing with the pages. though I guess with a massive book like that, it might be an advantage

What's the advantage? Does it help fat paperbacks from curving or something?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earwicker posted:

oh, I guess I didn't quite get what you meant, I have never seen this format before actually. that is really ugly.

Comics publishers do that a lot for big bundle books

My copy of Classic X-Men looks like that

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Enfys posted:

Are you reading books from the UK/Europe? The U.S. doesn't use that format much, sticking mainly to mass market < trade paperback < hardcover.

More and more publishers seem to be moving to this size, especially in genre and airport fiction.

Bandiet posted:

It's predominately an aesthetic choice.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Enfys posted:

B format books, or small trade paperbacks in the US. It's nothing new but one of the standard paperback sizes.

The UK (and consequently most European publishing houses, though their terms vary) does A format (equivalent to mass market), B format (small trade), C format/demy (trade), and then the royal (hardcover).

B format has generally been considered more "prestigious" as it was traditionally used to distinguish literary fiction from genre fiction. Very few authors will ever be popular enough to get a royal printing, but many strive to be a B format author.

It's happening in the US now. The Martian was that size, and all the new Star Wars books are the slightly taller size. It's terrible and they should stop.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

seems like a pretty easy way to avoid this format is to not read trash scifi

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

seems like a pretty easy way to avoid this format is to not read trash scifi

No.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bandiet posted:

idk, I just found it easier to turn the pages as I go, whether it's just in my head or not is debatable

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Bandiet posted:

There is no advantage. All books used to look like that due to the printing process because if you wanted even pages, you'd have to hand cut them, so they were more expensive.

Then the printing process improved to where machines could cut all the pages evenly. Now deckled pages are a type of "vintage" aesthetic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you used to be able to tell if someone was a fake rear end poser because they had a bunch of big deep fancy books but did not actually cut the pages and thus had not read them. there is a well known line in Gatsby about this. but I think these days all books done in that style still have the pages cut before they hit shelves

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

these days I judge people by whether the spine of their books show wear, and if they've got those ridiculously tacky and overdesigned hardcover versions of classic books

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

E-readers ruin all the fun of judging people by their book covers

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Enfys posted:

E-readers ruin all the fun of judging people by their book covers

Don't judge a book by its Amazon review section

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

these days I judge people by whether the spine of their books show wear, and if they've got those ridiculously tacky and overdesigned hardcover versions of classic books

I actually mastered a style of reading paperbacks without bending the spine because I think bent spines look ugly. I read paperbacks by sort of peeling back only the page I am currently looking at.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
take off your pants and dust jacket

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I actually mastered a style of reading paperbacks without bending the spine because I think bent spines look ugly. I read paperbacks by sort of peeling back only the page I am currently looking at.

Yeah. I don't bend or break spines, and I don't buy used books with bent or broken spines.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do this too. I will also look through an entire stack of a certain book at the store to find the ones in best condition and examine them side by side so I get the perfect one.

I also buy books on ebay a lot since I prefer having the original hardcover copy of a book rather than a paperback. Unlike Amazon they'll usually have photos. gently caress you sellers who list a book as having "no flaws" or in "mint" condition when the photos clearly show the dust jacket is caved in on the spine! :argh:

I have serious issues.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 9, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I just bend open the book and don't really care about the spine at all. but I also don't intend to sell whichever book in buy either, so it doesn't matter to me.

It's also really cumbersome to try to read without bending the spine or pages way back when your only source of light comes at an angle from your right

SpockandRoll
Feb 15, 2009

less laughter posted:

Get a Kindle, it is the best invention of the modern age.

I dunno, the predominance of e-books makes me paranoid that the government is secretly changing all literature to control us all. Haven't you guys read your dust jacket encased, deckle edged copies of 1984? Or the Bible in the original Hebrew?
Hard copy is the only safe method of reading. Think of the dust jacket as a book condom. The end is nigh!

:commissar:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the bible wasn't originally in hebrew

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

Yeah everyone knows Jesus spoke American

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

SpockandRoll posted:

I dunno, the predominance of e-books makes me paranoid that the government is secretly changing all literature to control us all. Haven't you guys read your dust jacket encased, deckle edged copies of 1984? Or the Bible in the original Hebrew?
Hard copy is the only safe method of reading. Think of the dust jacket as a book condom. The end is nigh!

:commissar:

It is unhygienic to have sex with books even if you use a dust jacket.

SpockandRoll
Feb 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Face palm.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm in university and I have to explain that the Council of Nicea didn't pick the books of the bible to other students

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is this a facepalm for you or for him because Crow is right bro

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm in university and I have to explain that the Council of Nicea didn't pick the books of the bible to other students

I thought you didn't like fantasy novels

*puts on cool guy sunglasses*

*rides of on a horse of pure reason*

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought you didn't like fantasy novels

*puts on cool guy sunglasses*

*rides of on a horse of pure reason*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just throw out the dust jacket, op. while you're at it, rip off the book's cover. especially if it's a hard cover. they're awkward, cumbersome and just add needless weight to the book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've a copy of Moby Dick that I gave a brown-paper jacket to because the red dye used on the cover was coming off on my sweaty hands.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Moby Dick: a tense thriller that will have you sweating in anticipation.

SpockandRoll
Feb 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is this a facepalm for you or for him because Crow is right bro

I was disappointed that no one got my lovely joke. Should I have gone with the original English?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

yeah sometimes there is no choice, but increasingly many good books are being released as paperbacks first these days.

personally I can't stand ebooks, just can't do it. I find it a lot harder to concentrate when reading them for some reason.plus I just enjoy the objects that books are too much.

Depends on the book. For nonfiction biographical type stuff I'm an audiobook guy. I just don't need to concentrate too hard on the details of lost sailors or whatever.

For things like Neal Stephenson, if it's not a big hardcover affair it feels wrong.

For things like Philip K Dick, I feel slightly embarrassed if it's one of the new trade paperback editions and actively seek out the trashy old editions with the hilariously inaccurate cover art.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I get rid of the dust jackets because they look classier on my shelf that way and help balance out the comics on the shelf underneath them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread has taught me two surprising things:

- There are people who don't know about the trick to reading paperbacks without bending the spine?
- There are people who don't just throw dust jackets away immediately?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 26, 2016

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Enfys posted:

Deckled pages are so annoying and make it impossible to flip through a book. It's just for book snobs to feel posh.

The snobbiest of all books are the paperbacks with dust jackets and deckled pages, not designed for reading but for showing off.

Is there any point, any point at all to deckled pages, other than snobbery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lankiveil posted:

Is there any point, any point at all to deckled pages, other than snobbery?

Small cost savings, perhaps.

• Locked thread