Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Throw them the gently caress away. Seriously they serve no purpose at all except to get in the way. They constantly fall and who the gently caress cares what your books cover looks like? Even if you're a show off your books kind of person usually you put them on the shelves with the spine out where you can't see the covers anyways.

As far as spine breaking and stuff goes, break the poo poo out of your books. Well worn well read books have more character and are far more interesting than pristine condition books. I love going to garage sales and finding books with highlighting and writing in them. Dog eared pages and all. It shows that a book was properly and thoroughly enjoyed.

ulvir posted:

or because hardcovers are about 100% of the books you recieve as a gift

I've also experienced this, why? Why people why? Give me a paperback edition of a book. I feel bad when the first thing I do with your gift is tear off part of it and throw it away because its stupid and serves no real function.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

You seem awfully angry about dust jackets.

For so many reasons. Pointless. Annoying. Wasteful. Like deckled edges, dust jackets are a relic of the past and should be completely done away with. I'd almost say that for physical copies of books, but being able to pick up a book off my shelf and throwing at somebody while screaming "READ THIS loving BOOK!!" is so much easier and less copyright infringement than sharing digital copies, so I can't quite make the argument to completely do away with physical books all-together just yet. But I'd really, really like to.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

I have well over 1000 hardcover books with dust jackets. I am slowly going through and putting dust jacket protectors on them.

Does that trigger you?

In some ways. Its obviously a greater argument than are "dust jackets just annoying and dumb?" and more an argument about consumerism in general as an example the idea that our possessions should remain in pristine condition or we are neanderthals is a pretty convenient argument for people who want to charge extra for hard covers and then more for protectors and then are producing and selling those things.

Collections of things that are 'yours' can be shed in the same light. In general the attitude of "Hey this is a good book borrow my copy." seems less wasteful, but instead if you go "Hey this is a good book, but my copy can't be touched because you might bend a page or break the spine or lose the dust jacket so go buy a copy" you're kind of contributing to a whole bunch of negatives.

Of course none of that really has anything to do with 'a book' in the sense that a book is a collection of words that have been written down to be read. Does a dust jacket(and cover) and a hard cover make those words and the story they tell better? Maybe in the same sense that a fancy label and a hefty price tag can fool a person into thinking that one glass of wine is better than another, regardless of the actual flavor of the wine.

Again a much deeper conversation than just simply loving hating dust jackets, but making an argument for why you loving hate them can be a daunting task for anything a person has put a reasonable amount of thought into.

• Locked thread