Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just scotch tape them and don't be a bitch

What do you mean scotch tape them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

he probably means taping the dust jacket down onto the bindings and covers so that it won't move around and get in the way etc.

it is indeed a bad idea because this can damage the book. just take the dust jacket off and either throw it away if you don't like it or save it somewhere if you do.

or better still, buy paperbacks.

Nobody would ever do that. that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I refuse to believe that's an actual thing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh, I hate those new mass market paperbacks they do that are the same width but slightly taller. Those things are the loving worst. What are they thinking?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

in many cases these are the result of strip and bind. Sometimes when there is still a large unsold quantity of the hardcover, they strip the books out of their hardcover bindings and rebind them as paperbacks. the purpose of this is of course to save money, since they don't have to print anything other than the new paperback cover.

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

edit: this is what I mean

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 6, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Enfys posted:

B format books, or small trade paperbacks in the US. It's nothing new but one of the standard paperback sizes.

Are you reading books from the UK/Europe? The U.S. doesn't use that format much, sticking mainly to mass market < trade paperback < hardcover.

The UK (and consequently most European publishing houses, though their terms vary) does A format (equivalent to mass market), B format (small trade), C format/demy (trade), and then the royal (hardcover).

B format has generally been considered more "prestigious" as it was traditionally used to distinguish literary fiction from genre fiction. Very few authors will ever be popular enough to get a royal printing, but many strive to be a B format author.

It's happening in the US now. The Martian was that size, and all the new Star Wars books are the slightly taller size. It's terrible and they should stop.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

seems like a pretty easy way to avoid this format is to not read trash scifi

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I actually mastered a style of reading paperbacks without bending the spine because I think bent spines look ugly. I read paperbacks by sort of peeling back only the page I am currently looking at.

Yeah. I don't bend or break spines, and I don't buy used books with bent or broken spines.

• Locked thread