Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Deckle edges on books (or pseudo-deckle) are largely an American things, I think. I don't see it much on European books. I think that there is a slight quality difference. Deckle edges usually denote slightly higher paper quality and production quality. I think if consumers subliminally associate deckle edges with higher quality than there is a status/quality aspect, even if it is marginal. It may boost sales very marginally, if at all. Given two editions of identical text then I would go for the deckled version. I might even spend $1-2 more on the deckled one. I'm not an insane bibliomane. My deckled copies are the Borges PBs and biography/history HBs, not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Breaking the spines of PBs reduces the strength of the spine and shortens the usable life of a book, meaning you have to buy a replacement sooner. Breaking spines costs money.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I like your shelves and your collection. Bums me out that all my books are in archive stacked in a storage unit. I've had to buy copies of books that I know I already own simply because I can't find my first copy...

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Perhaps we could organise a goon charity to buy/rent me a larger apartment where I could install shelves.

But yes, the only sensible thing to do is rationalise the horde by selling duplicate and unwanted books. Which is my project for this summer. In volume/weight terms, e-readers kick books' asses all the way every day. :(

• Locked thread