Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I really appreciated on the Welcome to Night Vale book how there was no dust jacket and all the cover art was printed directly on the hardback cover.

most likely this was only possible because this book was the first hardback done by Harper Perennial which is otherwise a paperback only imprint.

Smoking Crow posted:

Why do publishers keep the scourge of dust jackets alive?

It is cheaper to put art/design on a dust jacket than it is to put it directly on the bindings and covers of a hardback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

he probably means taping the dust jacket down onto the bindings and covers so that it won't move around and get in the way etc.

it is indeed a bad idea because this can damage the book. just take the dust jacket off and either throw it away if you don't like it or save it somewhere if you do.

or better still, buy paperbacks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

?

people routinely damage books in way more blatant ways than that. its not a good idea but its very far from the most stupid thing people do to books.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah sometimes there is no choice, but increasingly many good books are being released as paperbacks first these days.

personally I can't stand ebooks, just can't do it. I find it a lot harder to concentrate when reading them for some reason.plus I just enjoy the objects that books are too much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I totally get this, I feel this way myself.

But when you end up moving every few years, and you have multiple bookshelves full of both hardcovers and paperbacks, ebooks become more of an option since the entirety of my book collection now fits in one device that weighs maybe 2 pounds, instead of whatever fuckoff amount half a dozen bookshelves and the contents weigh to move around.

Generally when I move I pick out about half my books that I really want to keep and pack those up. Then I put the rest on my shelves and invite a bunch of friends over to take what they want. Then donate whatever is left.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, I hate those new mass market paperbacks they do that are the same width but slightly taller. Those things are the loving worst. What are they thinking?

in many cases these are the result of strip and bind. Sometimes when there is still a large unsold quantity of the hardcover, they strip the books out of their hardcover bindings and rebind them as paperbacks. the purpose of this is of course to save money, since they don't have to print anything other than the new paperback cover.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

edit: this is what I mean

oh, I guess I didn't quite get what you meant, I have never seen this format before actually. that is really ugly.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

seems like a pretty easy way to avoid this format is to not read trash scifi

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you used to be able to tell if someone was a fake rear end poser because they had a bunch of big deep fancy books but did not actually cut the pages and thus had not read them. there is a well known line in Gatsby about this. but I think these days all books done in that style still have the pages cut before they hit shelves

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its probably more of a weird status symbol/ego thing for the imprint or the author rather than the consumer - the number of people who try to show off the deckled edges of books they own to impress people is most likely to be too small to make any kind of financial sense in itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Enfys posted:

Now, not many people know the history of deckled pages, but the vague idea remains, so some people still seek them out for status symbols because their books look more important and they are serious readers unlike the common masses.

again, I would bet there are less than 1000 people in the entire US that seek out and buy books with deckled edges for that purpose. And I would also bet there's some imprint/author ego-stroking involved just as much if not more.

• Locked thread