Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Only simpletons keep dust jackets on their books while reading them. Pros get some dust jacket covers.

Covers for your book covers, that's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know how y'all put tape on your books but a little piece on the inside flap isn't gonna destroy the book

From a collector's viewpoint it does. And if we're not talking about collecting, this is a dumb conversation to have because, in the age of ebooks, collecting is the only reason to a) buy a hardcover and b) give a drat about the dust jacket.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulvir posted:

or because you really really want to read a new book but don't want to wait half a goddamn year for the paperback version

or because hardcovers are about 100% of the books you recieve as a gift

As to the first point, that is why I very specifically mentioned ebooks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

If it isn't wrapped in dead animal skin, then it doesn't belong on my shelves.

Is quarter-bound sufficient?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

boom boom boom posted:

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

edit: this is what I mean

I'm pretty sure he was talking about TPBs.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Enfys posted:

Are you reading books from the UK/Europe? The U.S. doesn't use that format much, sticking mainly to mass market < trade paperback < hardcover.

More and more publishers seem to be moving to this size, especially in genre and airport fiction.

Bandiet posted:

What's the advantage? Does it help fat paperbacks from curving or something?

It's predominately an aesthetic choice.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 26, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lankiveil posted:

Is there any point, any point at all to deckled pages, other than snobbery?

Small cost savings, perhaps.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Nope, they have to artificially deckle those edges now. It is entirely a weird status symbol.

Haha drat, that's dumb as hell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

CestMoi posted:

I have a copy of Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings with deckled edges and it just looks really nice?? I don;t think this makes me some insane book millionaire.

I mean I like the look of deckled edges but they have absolutely zero influence on what books I buy. Also no on can see that stuff when the book is sitting on a bookshelf so even then it's of limited aesthetic impact.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What's the gooncensus on dipped or sprayed edges?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You seem awfully angry about dust jackets.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Reason posted:

For so many reasons. Pointless. Annoying. Wasteful. Like deckled edges, dust jackets are a relic of the past and should be completely done away with. I'd almost say that for physical copies of books, but being able to pick up a book off my shelf and throwing at somebody while screaming "READ THIS loving BOOK!!" is so much easier and less copyright infringement than sharing digital copies, so I can't quite make the argument to completely do away with physical books all-together just yet. But I'd really, really like to.

I have well over 1000 hardcover books with dust jackets. I am slowly going through and putting dust jacket protectors on them.

Does that trigger you?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If I really want someone to read a book, I will buy them a copy rather than lend my own out as that actually helps support the author I obviously enjoy and will help encourage them to keep writing books I can buy in hardcover and then slap a Brodart over the included dust jacket.

You are very worked up over what other people do with their money. Not everyone is down with minimalism.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I recently purchased 600' of Brodart dust jacket covers and have been slowly working my way through all my hardcovers.

That's still probably not enough by half :'(.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Enfys posted:

drat. How much of your living space is devoted to storing books?

Just one room in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A human heart posted:

Do you live in a salvation army shop?

You wound me, gentle goon.

• Locked thread