Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stux posted:

i wasn't saying mac was a huge part of their business only that spinning it off or whatever would be absolutely pointless when it is still extremely profitable.

im p sure apple are also aware of this and working on other streams. part of this is stuff like the ipad, ATV and watch, devices which share similarities to the iphone and can use the same silicon and code base but won't ever hit the same volumes as iphone. diversifying into multiple niches they can corner by using their unique position as both a hardware and software developer rather than relying on a single large product seems to be where they're heading currently rather than trying to create a new ipod/iphone level phenomenon which would be a disaster if it didn't take off. it also gives them extra flexibility to move with the market in mobile/wearables/whatever else. again this is part of the reason why they have been pushing so hard on getting the A series chips up to speed so quickly rather than using stock parts like android. whatever the next big thing is will certainly be based around the tech used in phones and tablets and apple have always been best at coming into an already existing market and dominating it rather than creating entirely new devices. this again lessens their risk by giving them time to gauge the market and then enter with a high end product.

the ipod wasn't the first mp3 player, the iphone wasn't the first smart phone, the ipad wasn't the first tablet, the watch wasn't the first smart watch, and whatever else they move into will almost certainly be a refinement of an existing product that benefits from their integration of hardware and software rather than an entirely new product line no one else has attempted.

didnt read. ps: you're a fucktard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
some serious stuxnalysis itt

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for that good post stux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

smartphone penetration

txt me

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol the apple watch is a bust? compare to what? asus? samsung?
or they are a bust because they aren't moving enough millions of units to topple analysts' expectations?

also every pc maker's shipment have shrunk over the past few years, to the point that they are blaming windows 8/10 for it, while apple's shipment grew over the same time period

also jesus christ are people here really that old and basically saying the equivalent of "640k ought to be enough for anybody" for mobile devices?
there are still tons of improvement that can be done on the hardware side to make it faster and whatnot, and just because intel's performance rampup slowed way down in the past few years or so while they focus on the power side of things, it doesn't mean that others have to follow suit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple watch is a bust purely because its clearly underperformed comapred to their expectations. that it. doesnt need to be comaprd to anything else in any way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

echinopsis posted:

apple watch is a bust purely because its clearly underperformed comapred to their expectations. that it. doesnt need to be comaprd to anything else in any way.

lol based on what? the thing sold quicker on launch than the first ipad or iphone and all apple have said is that it is exceeding expectations. you can read that how you want, but the only people saying its underperforming are analysts who are making wild guesses as to how well its selling and how well it should sell.

the fact is that it came out and instantly destroyed every other smart watch on the market, and knowing apples business model its a safe assumption that its profitable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
unless by a bust you mean "it hasnt replaced the iphone" in which case lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

Apple hasn't announced numbers, how do you know how they compare to anyone's expectations? they didn't give numbers precisely because idiot analysts make inflated guesses for first year products with no basis in reality and then declare a "miss" if their made up numbers aren't hit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its clearly fail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
big difference between iphone and iwatch

people still use their iphone 4 weeks after buying it

The Management posted:

Apple hasn't announced numbers

coz they are ashamed of them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I am so relieved the watch is a failure. I'm not entirely sure I'd be comfortable living in a world where people like smartwatches

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the iwatch was a failure from its conception

tim is starting to get desperate because he doesn't have steve's vision and is still fixated on driving accessory sales above all else

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's honestly a(n even more) useless device in the winter when it's buried under 2-3 layers of clothing. you could argue that a plain old watch itself is, as well, but it's also probably half as thick and the battery lasts forever

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A plain watch is a fashion accessory that happens to adequately perform a mundane function that allows you to justify wearing it. A "smart watch" is just a shittier way to interact with your phone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
some one post those pos reactions to the ipad again please itt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
apple tv with big hd and airplay mirroring + iPhone + bt gamepad = console killer, you heard it here first

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

apple tv with big hd and airplay mirroring + iPhone + bt gamepad = console killer, you heard it here first

apple pippin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

some one post those pos reactions to the ipad again please itt

i wanted an ipad* though. and im not even complaining about the watch itself, just how much of a failure it is

*and I got one. and I aint gonna let apple fuckin tempte me with a newer one either. the original = the best. they dont make em like they used to

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how does it feel posting from a cameraless iPad? :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it feels like I never get distracted

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I'm constantly tempted by the urge to take photos with my iPad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

echinopsis posted:

i wanted an ipad* though. and im not even complaining about the watch itself, just how much of a failure it is

*and I got one. and I aint gonna let apple fuckin tempte me with a newer one either. the original = the best. they dont make em like they used to

the watch is extremely profitable and dominates the smart watch market. it's only a failure if you're an idiot who was expecting it to become the next ipod/iphone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know they're ashamed of it right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so typical of apple fanbois to be parading around championing poo poo when apple themselves have already decided its a bust and started liquidating the division

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dominating the smart watch market

that's like selling the most hand-traced felt turkey cutouts at the state fair

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

so typical of apple fanbois to be parading around championing poo poo when apple themselves have already decided its a bust and started liquidating the division

you're dipping into your pills again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

echinopsis posted:

how high are u right now

flakeloaf posted:

dominating the smart watch market

that's like selling the most hand-traced felt turkey cutouts at the state fair

so now it was a bad market in the first place to go into, not a bad product?

end of the day they identified a profitable niche market, moved in and took it over. much like they always do.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Stux posted:

ain't no "now" about it

Powercrazy posted:

A plain watch is a fashion accessory that happens to adequately perform a mundane function that allows you to justify wearing it. A "smart watch" is just a shittier way to interact with your phone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
thanks 4 ur opinion grandad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

how high are u right now

high enough that you seem like a good poster

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why isn't "i just want to feel pretty" enough justification?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i wondered out loud while putting on my wife's pantyhose

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
womens poo poo feels sexy to do but then you look in the mirror and its like, what would dad say

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Stux posted:

it was both

a good product for apple to invent: $499 full field of vision ar/vr variable opacity sunglasses that do more stuff than whatever the oculus and a big computer can do and also they are powered by a little battery the size of a pencil eraser lasts like 40 hours

a toilet product for garbage people: a $499 fitness tracking wristwatch that you can awkwardly tap on a deal at the cash register to scan your safeway club card

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

apple is going to release a cool and good car

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

angry_keebler posted:

it was both

a good product for apple to invent: $499 full field of vision ar/vr variable opacity sunglasses that do more stuff than whatever the oculus and a big computer can do and also they are powered by a little battery the size of a pencil eraser lasts like 40 hours

a toilet product for garbage people: a $499 fitness tracking wristwatch that you can awkwardly tap on a deal at the cash register to scan your safeway club card

good fake post, 10/10 for suggesting the dumbest poo poo ever

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i spent a lot of money on this lovely gadget with no sensible use case and i'm gonna stamp my feet until someone validates me dammit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stux posted:

good fake post, 10/10 for suggesting the dumbest poo poo ever
idk it would be cool but also impossible with current tech and realistically for the next 5-10 years. battery tech is way behind everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

flakeloaf posted:

i spent a lot of money on this lovely gadget with no sensible use case

again requesting the images of the pos reacting to the ipad

• Locked thread