Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shining is a lot scarier than most horror films. The sense of unease and wrongness is a lot scarier than a monster that tears you apart. One can only kill you, the other is a corruption that sets in to your soul. (As present in The Shining and Jack's inevitable fate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

Agreed, but they don't make movies like 2001 anymore. It's little surprise modern audiences would find the pacing unbearably boring. It's just such a visually engaging and utterly unique film. All the complaints people have about it are the reasons I adore it.

Both my parents saw 2001 in theaters and they say it's boring as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Both my parents saw 2001 in theaters and they say it's boring as hell.

2001 has always been a divisive movie, I don't know why that should change now. It was a huge release and it was Kubrick, so I'm sure there were plenty of people who ended up in a theatre watching it who really had no chance of enjoying it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can understand finding 2001 boring on a conceptual level. It's very slow paced and deliberate and visual. I don't think that is a bad thing though and I think it's possible to recognize that while it may not be for you it's a meticulously crafted and dynamic film even if it isn't one you're personally interested in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ImpAtom posted:

The Shining is a lot scarier than most horror films. The sense of unease and wrongness is a lot scarier than a monster that tears you apart. One can only kill you, the other is a corruption that sets in to your soul. (As present in The Shining and Jack's inevitable fate.)

That reminds me of the movie 13 Ghosts ('01), where most of the ghosts would, at worst, just beat you up.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you are religious the Exorcist is scary as gently caress, my man.

Yo I was thirteen when I saw the Exorcist and gently caress that, if you own a bed and sleep in a room on that bed The Exorcist is scary

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm in my thirties, not at all religious, and The Exorcist scares the hell out of me. Not because it's like BOO scary, but it absolutely fills me with dread and unease. Watched it at least once a year since it was unbanned and I still don't sleep well after watching it. No other film has ever had that effect on me and I can't adequately explain why.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Ann Radcliffe, one of the writers of the original gothics, described fear in fiction as being divided into terror, the anticipation before the unveiling, and horror, the sensation at and after the unveiling itself. (Stephen King added a third category, revulsion or gross-out, but we'll leave that aside.)

The Shining, The Exorcist, The Haunting, and other really lasting scary stories rely on terror for their power, because horror is cathartic (going back to Stephen King, our imagination always is capable of conjuring up something worse than what is actually shown. If we see a ten-foot bug, well, it could have been a hundred feet long, and a hundred-foot bug could have been a thousand). More importantly, they tend to downplay the horror, and leave things veiled, hidden, or unexplained, so that you don't get the release of knowing, "Ah, well, Eleanor and Theo were haunted by the ghost of Hugh Crane" or "The Overlook came into being because the architect was a Satanist" or "Pazuzu is a devil of the order of Vices, inverse to the angelic order of Virtues."

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Shining is a best film to watch while hung over. It really gains a lot when watched in that state between sleep and wake.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm in my thirties, not at all religious, and The Exorcist scares the hell out of me. Not because it's like BOO scary, but it absolutely fills me with dread and unease. Watched it at least once a year since it was unbanned and I still don't sleep well after watching it. No other film has ever had that effect on me and I can't adequately explain why.

Likewise. I'm in no way Catholic, but Satan as a concept is scary, and Exorcist explores that concept really effectively. "Why you do this to me, Dami?!?" is a frightening moment for totally non-visceral reasons...so it's not scary in the theater, but sits with you after you leave.

Effectronica posted:

....or "Pazuzu is a devil of the order of Vices, inverse to the angelic order of Virtues."

And this is one of the various reasons Exorcist 2 sucks. The demon is way more horrifying when it's Legion, some inscrutable and immortal consciousness that is baseless malice and sadism. (The other reason that film sucks is that it is incompetent garbage.)

The Shining is my favorite Kubrick film, easily, in that it's the one I find myself returning to the most. I always have trouble watching Jack Nicholson in roles where he's supposed to be a decent human being...The Shining so perfectly taps into this weird, offputting misanthropy he exudes; I can't help but read that quality into every role he's ever had.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

lizardman posted:

For some reason this sounds amazing and I want to watch the movie this way now.

I don't remember though how much I had to ask my German friends about it as it went. This was over 20 years ago. I think the only thing you really need to know from "language" is what Jack types on the pages. The rest of the visual storytelling is strong enough.

I didn't realise there was a different European cut of the film (which to me seems to be the actual movie I have always seen). After reading the differences I don't remember Wendy ever finding ghosts in the Overlook. Probably time to watch the movie again.

Fish of hemp posted:

Shining is a best film to watch while hung over. It really gains a lot when watched in that state between sleep and wake.

An interesting thought. I watched Inherent Vice on a 16 hour flight while struggling to stay awake and literally micro sleeping and dreaming of the movie as I watched it. I think, really, the best way to experience that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I never had a childhood full of Star Wars and The Goonies and poo poo because I was too busy watching a VHS copy of the TV edit of The Shining over and over again starting around the age of 7. Favorite movie.

Saw a 35mm print of it a couple years back after eating a bag of mushrooms and the slow-motion shot of Nicolson rising into the frame after he axes Scatman is hands down the grossest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I should really rewatch The Shining sometime. It's been at least a decade.

Is this the right place to make fun of the made for tv movie?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Shinning countless times on a tired old VHS tape. Recently I purchased a copy off Amazon Video and holy crap I never realized how much color there was in the movie. It must have been gorgeous in theaters.

And it scared my teenage daughter, who is generally pretty meh on horror movies - especially old ones.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Stanly Kuberik

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I've never been able to watch The Shining because Shelley Duvall's face in that movie creeps me out.

Is that the third revulsion category?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's also worth nothing that the movie will be returning to theaters this October for a Fathom Events thing. Two day engagement.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

My favorite scene in this movie is this one:

The film finally takes us away from the Overlook Hotel and rather than relief, that brings an even more unsettling hotel room. Everything about this scene is a masterwork of bizarre tension.

That's not unsettling I was always like "wow check out Scat Man's gently caress palace."

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I enjoy The Shining despite the fact it is not scary but unsettling. It is a very uncomfortable movie that I watch every Christmas I am dead inside.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Watching the Shining feels like being sucked into a nightmare. Just utter dread and the knowledge that bad things are going to happen that you cannot escape. Brilliantly made but ultimately quite a draining and miserable experience with little in the way of catharis. Would recommend.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Effectronica posted:

Ann Radcliffe, one of the writers of the original gothics, described fear in fiction as being divided into terror, the anticipation before the unveiling, and horror, the sensation at and after the unveiling itself. (Stephen King added a third category, revulsion or gross-out, but we'll leave that aside.)

The Shining, The Exorcist, The Haunting, and other really lasting scary stories rely on terror for their power, because horror is cathartic (going back to Stephen King, our imagination always is capable of conjuring up something worse than what is actually shown. If we see a ten-foot bug, well, it could have been a hundred feet long, and a hundred-foot bug could have been a thousand). More importantly, they tend to downplay the horror, and leave things veiled, hidden, or unexplained, so that you don't get the release of knowing, "Ah, well, Eleanor and Theo were haunted by the ghost of Hugh Crane" or "The Overlook came into being because the architect was a Satanist" or "Pazuzu is a devil of the order of Vices, inverse to the angelic order of Virtues."

I think one of the weakest part of the Shining book is that you get to know way too much of the back story. Jack literally finds a scrapbook of the hotel's most gory and spooky events hidden in the basement. The Overlook is creepier when it's just a place that is a bit off for no clearly explained reason but if you know who all the ghosts are and how they died it becomes a lot less creepy. The wasp scene would probably have worked pretty well but it would've been hard to pull of convincingly except if you'd literally release angry wasps on the actors which I'm pretty sure is against SAG rules.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think one of the weakest part of the Shining book is that you get to know way too much of the back story.

I think the weird fursuit blowjob scene really sells this point. It's an oddly divisive moment for viewers...it's either hilariously absurd, or so confoundingly strange that you find it scary. I'm in the former camp, but I've spoken to people who actually find that to be the most unsettling "spooky" moment in the entire film...probably because it's such an absolute non-sequitur, it challenges you with its weirdness.

Having backstory from the book on what was happening there makes it way less absurd, but frankly almost mundane. That level of exposition kills the surreal horror of the experience.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Xealot posted:

I think the weird fursuit blowjob scene really sells this point. It's an oddly divisive moment for viewers...it's either hilariously absurd, or so confoundingly strange that you find it scary. I'm in the former camp, but I've spoken to people who actually find that to be the most unsettling "spooky" moment in the entire film...probably because it's such an absolute non-sequitur, it challenges you with its weirdness.

IIRC the censored-for-TV cut of the film trims that shot a bit so that the fellatio implication is less clear. I found that version so creepy when I first saw it as a kid specifically because their presence and behavior seemed to be such non-sequiturs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One thing that really creeped me out when I saw the Blu-Ray for the first time was how new the paint looked in the Overlook halls.

Also, the lighting gives me chills. Especially how those shots of Lloyd. The side lighting behind his face blinds you from being able to see his face clearly.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
There's been a new development in the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17pORf_iE4

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Blast Fantasto posted:

My favorite scene in this movie is this one:

The film finally takes us away from the Overlook Hotel and rather than relief, that brings an even more unsettling hotel room. Everything about this scene is a masterwork of bizarre tension.

I recall watching a Full Metal Jacket documentary where it's mentioned that Kubrick uses symmetry to create a unique atmosphere in his films.

Right here we see everything is perfectly symmetrical in this shot and it feels...odd. He really was a master of direction.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Scatmans best film after Zapped

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

amusinginquiry posted:

I've never been able to watch The Shining because Shelley Duvall's face in that movie creeps me out.

Is that the third revulsion category?

Probably stressed out from being tortured by Stan.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If you find the unsettling nightmarish elements of The Shining effective and you haven't already seen Possession (1981), you really need to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTB15PPtMyA

The less you know about it, the better your experience will be.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seconding this.

They would make a pretty fitting double feature because both are about the dysfunctional marriage of a couple that has a young son. Both also have a pretty similar vibe although Possession is a bit more freaky. Just go in blind if you haven't seen it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
kubrick is boring as gently caress.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Best soundtrack of any horror movie IMO. At least most atmospheric.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this. Love the music around the "Here's Johnny!" Scene. Sounds like sharpening of knives! Scary stuff.

The Shining is a fantastic movie.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand finding 2001 boring on a conceptual level. It's very slow paced and deliberate and visual. I don't think that is a bad thing though and I think it's possible to recognize that while it may not be for you it's a meticulously crafted and dynamic film even if it isn't one you're personally interested in.

Learning to accept that you can dislike good films and like bad films is a sure sign of critical maturity.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

kubrick is boring as gently caress.

Yup. He lived in a some English countryside manor surrounded by cats. He was a goddamn photographer. Boring.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Wank posted:

Yup. He lived in a some English countryside manor surrounded by cats. He was a goddamn photographer. Boring.

I doubt he ever even inhaled pot.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish more modern horror films did this. These days it only seems like we get jump scares and if something is going for a sense of unease we just get lazy slow lingering shots or a change in colour pallet.

There's nothing more frightening than having your comfortable sense of understanding of the world subtly, or undetectably, turned upside down.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 30, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kin posted:

I really wish more modern horror films did this. These days it only seems like we get jump scares and if something is going for a sense of unease we just get lazy slow lingering shots or a change in colour pallet.

There's nothing more frightening than having your comfortable sense of understanding of the world subtly, or undetectably, turned upside down.

My favorite Jump Scare film is Psycho.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Kin posted:

Recently watched The Oculus which didn't rely on jump scares and I enjoyed it. I don't remember The Others having many jump scares and that's old enough that a re-watch would probably be a good time.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fish of hemp posted:

I doubt he ever even inhaled pot.

"I'm stanley kubrick and I think 'dabs' is slang for postage stamps. duh, well, anyways here's my twelve hour long movie about some fuckface who wore breeches, like, hundreds of years before the first playstation even came out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My two favourite Shining things: in every scene where Jack talks to one of The Overlook's ghosts, there's a mirror in front of him, except in the one situation where it would be logically consistent to Jack (and the movie) not to have one, when he's locked in the fridge. And the entire sequence with Jack and Grady in the bathroom. Watching the dynamic between them change over the six minutes or so the scene takes is a marvel of film making.

• Locked thread