Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
"Plot-thin" is a hilarious criticism of The Shining. It's like a parody of a real opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Agreed, but they don't make movies like 2001 anymore. It's little surprise modern audiences would find the pacing unbearably boring. It's just such a visually engaging and utterly unique film. All the complaints people have about it are the reasons I adore it.

The one film I've seen in the past ten years or so that comes close to hitting those same notes is Under the Skin. The scope isn't the same and its obviously telling a much different story than 2001 did, but the deliberate pace and the cinematography gave it a similar feel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You could do a whole thread on stuff you came to after The Simpsons introduced you to it.

I didn't get seriously into film until long after I'd seen hundreds of Simpsons episodes so all the classics in every genre I'm a fan of were probably referenced at some point.

The writers were generally from Ivy League type schools so it wouldn't surprise me if there are like French New Wave or Bergman references in there, stuff like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Both my parents saw 2001 in theaters and they say it's boring as hell.

2001 has always been a divisive movie, I don't know why that should change now. It was a huge release and it was Kubrick, so I'm sure there were plenty of people who ended up in a theatre watching it who really had no chance of enjoying it.

• Locked thread