Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
yo man i'm gonna lay this quote on you real quick and see if you vibe with it, "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else"

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Okay so but, in all seriousness, I'm not really sure what the objective of this piece is. It reads like a frustrated blog article about millennials :argh:

Best I can suss out, there's something here about embracing the regret we accrue with our meaningless contemporary hobbies and passtimes and youtubes, or something? I'm not actually sure. It feels a bit nihilistic and scattered. I could probably be more helpful if you could tell us concisely what you are wanting to convey.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I am also concerned that the the writing might seem heavy handed or moralistic and I'm feeling like it might be both.

I think you are onto something. This piece has issues with clarity because lots of your sentences are these kind of big, declarative statements. The world works X way, people do X thing for Y reason. Etcetera. It's a while before regret really comes into focus, and only a small part of this essay is actually dedicated to how one lives a life hinged on regret.

quote:

What I am hoping to ideally leave the reader with is "This was a fun and interesting thing about someone wanting me to live life in an impractical way. I have just enough information to glean that, whatever beliefs this person might have, they arrived at them in a way that follows an internal logic."

I think you should focus more on the "how to" aspect. This would feel more convincing if it was less manifesto and more, like, "here's how to live life in this impractical way." You can weave the hypothetical writer's rational into that. It should really feel more persuasive than soapboxy, if that makes sense.

• Locked thread