Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dagen H posted:

As much as I want to see an F150 repair thrash in the spirit of the van, I think the Volvo is the better option.

I think the rental 3 series is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bolind posted:

Sometimes your travel insurance covers this too. Definitely look into that before paying the full LDW price.
I'd be careful with both this and the cc.
Many of the rental car covers with ccs and travel inusrance cover only your car. So if you hit someone or get injured, you're out of pocket. Read the fine print.
Also make sure you get a card that shows you have insurance, showing a cop your credit card when you get pulled over won't go well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Noise Complaint posted:

It's an extended cab, 4x4, and the tires I have for it are oversize super aggressive AT's... with white letters. Bench seats, also.

I could also throw in more LED lights than you could imagine along with other truck ricing poo poo. It has a brand new transmission with a shift kit, and a glasspack muffler.
A messed-with-in-a-good-way 4x4 F150 is a serious contender for "Most Stereotypically American Car". That's a good thing for a long-ish visit to the USA by an Aussie. A very good thing.

When I visited Tasmania for 4 months a few years ago, I bought the "Most Stereotypically Australian Car" I could find for my budget. Made in Australia, designed by Australians, hell mine even had a Founding Myth to go with it. But I named my Ford Falcon Ute "Missed It By One" when every Australian I met and asked about *Most Australian Car* said "Holden Commodore Ute".

Take the F150. Slap anyone who tries to tell you Chevy or Dodge are somehow more emphatically 'Murican.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

ExecuDork posted:

Slap anyone who tries to tell you Chevy or Dodge are somehow more emphatically 'Murican.
I always have a quiet sensible chuckle over this. Most GM trucks are made in Mexico, and most Dodges come from Canada, don't they?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I think it's the other way round.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

nm posted:

I'd be careful with both this and the cc.
Many of the rental car covers with ccs and travel inusrance cover only your car. So if you hit someone or get injured, you're out of pocket. Read the fine print.
Also make sure you get a card that shows you have insurance, showing a cop your credit card when you get pulled over won't go well.

Minimum liability coverage must be provided by the rental company. I doubt he has to much to worry about in regards to a runnaway civil suit in the US as he can just go back to Australia in that case.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I also have $5m in personal liability coverage from my travel insurance, so I'm good on that front.

I'm renting a "Camaro SS or equivalent" from Avis using the USAA code, picking it up tomorrow, gonna hang onto it for 3 weeks. Got a few destinations in mind to hit, gonna try to make it to https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/ with Tremek depending on timing. May be in Orlando saturday night/sunday morning to watch the JCSAT-16 SpaceX launch.

Yes this means rental camaro donuts at NEAI :getin:

After that due to some stuff going on at home I may have to go back home early, so depending on how that pans out over the next week or two I'll make my plans for post-sept-1st.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

literally a fish posted:

Swap the wheels front to back before you do that. Burn the poo poo out of them and swap them back... nobody'll check the front tires for wear.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

I also have $5m in personal liability coverage from my travel insurance, so I'm good on that front.

I'm renting a "Camaro SS or equivalent" from Avis using the USAA code, picking it up tomorrow, gonna hang onto it for 3 weeks. Got a few destinations in mind to hit, gonna try to make it to https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/ with Tremek depending on timing. May be in Orlando saturday night/sunday morning to watch the JCSAT-16 SpaceX launch.

After that due to some stuff going on at home I may have to go back home early, so depending on how that pans out over the next week or two I'll make my plans for post-sept-1st.

You're going to do 2000 miles in under a week? Better hope the Camaro has comfortable seats!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

literally a fish posted:

Why didn't you say you were coming to Orlando? You can drive my van around so you can still get the conversion van experience :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrar posted:

(depending on how tall Fish is)

Fish is very tall, at least compared to me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ozmiander posted:

You're going to do 2000 miles in under a week? Better hope the Camaro has comfortable seats!

pshhh, that's only like 300 miles a day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was gonna say, I drive 200-300 a day for work... in a Saturn. I would hope Bitchin Camaro seats are a bit more supportive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ha, a Camaro? Should feel right at home in that rebodied Commodore

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ha, a Camaro? Should feel right at home in that rebodied Commodore

I'll quietly replace the Chevy badges with Holden ones and rebadge it "Monaro"

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

I doubt the camaro seats are gonna be whats hurting his butt after NEAI :wmwink:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

literally a fish posted:

If you take a really hosed up route to/from Orlando and end up in East TN let me know. I'll take you out in some German muscle cars

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Swap the wheels front to back before you do that. Burn the poo poo out of them and swap them back... nobody'll check the front tires for wear.

Edit: I may be wrong re: the fronts not fitting. The more I think about it the offset for the fronts would allow for bigger calipers, and I'm sure the rear has smaller calipers, so this might actually work so long as the rears can also fit the front (which I think they might.)

Tremek fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 11, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well, if it's a '16 it will share platforms with the ATS.

Glad you found something that works :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wrar posted:

Well, if it's a '16 it will share platforms with the ATS.

Shhhh, don't take away his Holden pride

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SouthsideSaint posted:

I doubt the camaro seats are gonna be whats hurting his butt after NEAI :wmwink:

I'm not going, he's safe.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
"We got rid of our last Camaro a few weeks ago... Would you like an EcoBoost mustang and a discount?"

Why yes.

Yes I would.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

literally a fish posted:

"We got rid of our last Camaro a few weeks ago... Would you like an EcoBoost mustang and a discount?"

Why yes.

Yes I would.

Square setup, front tire burnouts can commence. :getin:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fish, I'm planning on stopping in Philly on the drive up for a taste of the 4 major "homes of the cheesesteak." You in? (Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, and Tony Luke's)
I figure 3+ goons can split 4 cheesesteaks and not die.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I am ok with this, though I can't eat very much since the surgery.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

literally a fish posted:

I am ok with this, though I can't eat very much since the surgery.

Yeah. I figure we buy one at each and split it among whoever is in our...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
When is the convoy? I live 20 mins south of philly but I have to work Friday so I wouldn't be coming up until friday night or saturday morning. Also I like pats the best, and tony lukes the least.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thursday am, aiming to get to Philly around lunch, then look at traffic and decide which way we want to go through/around NYC (GW Bridge, TappenZee, or further north on Doodletown/Newburg)The northernest route only adds an hour or so and it looks like there are some gorgeous/fun roads in that area.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Tappanzee is the way to go for sure. I never even mess with the NYC route. Usually NJP to exit 10 which is 287/87 to 84. Worth not being stuck in traffic and endless potholes. That and I think the GWB is at least 8 bucks now.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

This is exactly the amount of wank I want from my rental car.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

toplitzin posted:

Thursday am, aiming to get to Philly around lunch, then look at traffic and decide which way we want to go through/around NYC (GW Bridge, TappenZee, or further north on Doodletown/Newburg)The northernest route only adds an hour or so and it looks like there are some gorgeous/fun roads in that area.

I'll miss you then. I'll be around, but at work until 4. Still deciding if I want to brave traffic on friday night or drive up early saturday morning.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

The Tappanzee is the way to go for sure. I never even mess with the NYC route. Usually NJP to exit 10 which is 287/87 to 84. Worth not being stuck in traffic and endless potholes. That and I think the GWB is at least 8 bucks now.

I was thinking even further north because Hudson valley roads on a summer afternoon sounds pretty fun. Plus with Fish having a mustang and my s60R those roads should be a hoot. And camera.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Pats for life. gently caress Geno's.

And definitely skip the GW bridge, the parkways can be very nice. The bridges over the Merritt are awesome, and the Taconic is good for a laugh.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I love the Merritt bridges. Never had an issue with the GW Bridge somehow, and it's fun seeing all the landmarks.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

literally a fish posted:

This is exactly the amount of wank I want from my rental car.

You should also set the dash/door-sill/interior light color to pink and light blue, for that "My Little Ponycar" feeling. At least for when you return it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm thinking this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That's the better way to get there, 95 in Jersey will be kind of crappy but manageable, from what I recall. 95 north out of NYC is TERRIBLE.

At least going North will be a bit better, since 90% of the traffic will be going South/East to The Shore.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
That's the way I come back from New Jersey when I visit family. Do not under any circumstance take 95.

You're taking Rt. 2 all the way to Lebanon, however. I'm right off of exit 22 on Rt. 2

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Alarbus posted:

That's the better way to get there, 95 in Jersey will be kind of crappy but manageable, from what I recall. 95 north out of NYC is TERRIBLE.

At least going North will be a bit better, since 90% of the traffic will be going South/East to The Shore.

I can move the route a smidge west and take the Garden State Parkway instead.

edit: tweaked - https://goo.gl/maps/hnBM61i2dWT2

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Adiabatic posted:

I love the Merritt bridges. Never had an issue with the GW Bridge somehow, and it's fun seeing all the landmarks.

The Merritt is a freaking raceway. I've never been on a road that small with people going that fast.

• Locked thread