Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

That's the video I expected for Raluek's link. I love that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Found your donor:
97 1500. L31 on the tag, everything looks right. I can get em for $100 for the pair hopefully this Saturday if you say the word.

There were a handful of other donors but they all looked worse than this one - open corroded throttle bodies, collision damage, etc.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

God I love AI's group assisted enabling.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

Found your donor:
97 1500. L31 on the tag, everything looks right. I can get em for $100 for the pair hopefully this Saturday if you say the word.

By the time you lot have had to do the work to replace the heads, and paid for gaskets, bolts, etc, would it not be easier to just swap the whole drat motor and sell off the shortblock from the van? I mean, :effort:, and throwing a complete working motor in is just a safer bet than frankenmotoring it. But this is AI so maybe I recommend the opposite of this post, I don't even know any more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say that's a perfectly AI suggestion because it might be cheaper than actually retrofitting the factory roller cam setup to the '92 block. The only possible downside is the L31 block will definitely not have any provision at all for a mechanical fuel pump. You know, for if the fuel injection magically falls off and you just have to slap a tunnel ram and a pair of four barrels on it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

IOwnCalculus posted:

you just have to slap a tunnel ram and a pair of four barrels on it.

You forgot the blower. How can you forget the blower?!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that, we could just throw the vortec in with a Thumpr.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

stevobob posted:

God I love AI's group assisted enabling.

It's like a swarm of locusts that convert money into horsepower instead of corn into poop I don't know where I'm going with this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honestly my suggestion would be slam an LM7 in it whole with a set of aftermarket mounts and splice up a quick harness. But he's got this giant boner for a thumpr cam for some reason and keeps talking about maybe carbing an engine that already came with perfectly alright TBI, so I am staying the gently caress out of the way and not turning wrenches on this thing, I'll do parts acquisition but my input is definitely not needed on How To Do This.

Note I say LM7 not LQ4/9 because I saw six I could get whole for 300 each today...

E: that and I can't in good faith suggest a whole block change without helping do it, because it looks miserable on a van body.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 7, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Honestly my suggestion would be slam an LM7 in it whole with a set of aftermarket mounts and splice up a quick harness. But he's got this giant boner for a thumpr cam for some reason and keeps talking about maybe carbing an engine that already came with perfectly alright TBI, so I am staying the gently caress out of the way and not turning wrenches on this thing, I'll do parts acquisition but my input is definitely not needed on How To Do This.

Note I say LM7 not LQ4/9 because I saw six I could get whole for 300 each today...

Thumpr is available for that as well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And is probably one of the best bang for the buck upgrades on those motors you can do. And can be carbed if desired.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he WANTS a carb, it's mostly from us sperging to him about TBI's dislike of big cams iirc.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kastein posted:

poo poo...you think I could squeeze one into my checked baggage?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd say that's a perfectly AI suggestion because it might be cheaper than actually retrofitting the factory roller cam setup to the '92 block. The only possible downside is the L31 block will definitely not have any provision at all for a mechanical fuel pump. You know, for if the fuel injection magically falls off and you just have to slap a tunnel ram and a pair of four barrels on it.

He doesn't want a roller cam, and if he did it's literally just the spider and 8 dogbones that you can pocket when you grab the heads. Plus, he's keeping the TBI, plus who wants to change a short block in a van when you can do just heads? If the van's short block is in good shape it's mechanically no different than the L31 anyway (assuming they both have the same number of mains bolts)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Found your donor:

There were a handful of other donors but they all looked worse than this one - open corroded throttle bodies, collision damage, etc.

Awesome. If you could grab those, that would be A+, though we should probably work out how they're getting down to Richmond before I go sending you [money / off for parts]

kastein posted:

E: that and I can't in good faith suggest a whole block change without helping do it, because it looks miserable on a van body.

The giant boner for the thumpr is because if I'm gonna have a small block chebby it's gonna lope, dammit, and the thumpr has the best sounding lope I've come across. I can be talked out of the thumpr, but yeah, it can be had for LSes too.

I could be convinced to throw an LS motor in there (such as the LM7) - as mentioned, the thumpr works with those too, and AIUI the GM LS ECU has been so widely modified it might as well be a standalone.

I don't so much not want a roller cam as fail to see the point in spending $$$ extra just to get a roller setup. The idea of throwing a factory roller block in had occurred to me, but the cam itself is still 2x the price of a flat tappet cam, and lifters are another hundred bucks.

Both the L31 and the L05 are 4-bolt mains, the short blocks might as well be identical. Neither really has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, but electric fuel pumps for carbs can't be that expensive.

Again with the carb thing it's less a question of what I'd optimally want to do and more a question of bang for buck. From what I've read the stock TBI (which I'd have to buy a $400 manifold to make work with the Vortec heads thanks to the different bolt pattern) won't particularly enjoy any lopey cam, and any/all modifications I can find to make it happy land up costing $230 for a ported throttle body and $300-400 for reprogramming the PCM. By that point (including the manifold) I've spent ~$1000, and I might as well just throw a cheap Holley 4150-pattern manifold on with a $450 carburetor.

I'm still really not super happy with running a carb, but it's what Adiabatic's SBC-nut friend recommends, and he's volunteered to tune the thing, so it's probably going to get the holley on sheer bang-for-buck grounds.

I'm considering a Holley Sniper EFI aftermarket TBI system but the price tag makes me a sad panda.

I guess now I have to go look into what an LS swap will cost? :v: at 300 bux for the motor, how bad can it be? (what else am I going to need? The entire engine wiring harness and ECU? A megasquirt?)

The only thing I'm set on is the Thumpr. I'm happy to change the entire rest of the engine, I just want dat lope :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, you'd need the engine, all accessories on it, and the full fuel injection / harness / ECM. No reason for a megasquirt unless you've already got one or are trying to set the engine up without the stock harness / ECM. The GM ECM is pretty thoroughly hacked at this point and can handle just about anything you want to throw at it.

You would probably want the transmission to match the engine, too. Seems like '92 could be a non-electronic 700R4 / 4L60, an electronic 4L60E, or a 4L80E. I don't know if there's any "LS" or "non-LS" 4L80Es out there, but there is definitely an early / late 4L60E split. '92 will be well on the early side, any GenIII should have the late version with a separate bellhousing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Both the L31 and the L05 are 4-bolt mains, the short blocks might as well be identical.

Not necessarily, my L31 wasn't. I'm not sure which trucks get 2-bolt and which get 4-bolt.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Not necessarily, my L31 wasn't. I'm not sure which trucks get 2-bolt and which get 4-bolt.

Well that'll teach me to go stating things :v: Weird, everywhere I read said they were all 4-bolt. Some L31s were TBI (not spider injector) - only in G30 vans, as far as i know; maybe those were the 2-bolt?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, you'd need the engine, all accessories on it, and the full fuel injection / harness / ECM. No reason for a megasquirt unless you've already got one or are trying to set the engine up without the stock harness / ECM. The GM ECM is pretty thoroughly hacked at this point and can handle just about anything you want to throw at it.

You would probably want the transmission to match the engine, too. Seems like '92 could be a non-electronic 700R4 / 4L60, an electronic 4L60E, or a 4L80E. I don't know if there's any "LS" or "non-LS" 4L80Es out there, but there is definitely an early / late 4L60E split. '92 will be well on the early side, any GenIII should have the late version with a separate bellhousing.

The trans in the van is a non-electronic 700R4. Any reason I wouldn't be able to just bolt that to the back of an LM7?

Well, kastein, if you're willing to rip all that poo poo out, and TerribleRobot/Adiabatic are happy to shove it all in, I'm game to put an LM7 in - it actually seems like it might even be a more sane decision, somehow. Or at least cheap.

(Freakin' LS thumpr is $400... but I suppose junkyard parts are cheap!)

Edit: it's worth keeping in mind, too, that Adiabatic has a lift, which helps (especially if we swap the whole engine...)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 7, 2016

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I've been busy as poo poo. Finally pictures of the van in no particular order.

And my cat. Because catte.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

This is the only choice. There's going to be plenty of wrenching on that beast to get it streetable straight away. Might as well cut to the chase and have the motor sorted properly, then turn attention to all the other stuff.

iForge posted:

I've been busy as poo poo. Finally pictures of the van in no particular order.

It's beautiful.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 7, 2016

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Who poo poo in the seats?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The more I think about it, the more putting an LM7 in makes sense.

And the more I think about that, the more buying an entire LM7'd truck for parts seems reasonable... I'm sure it's not, though.

hey ken how do you feel about LM7/harness/manifolds/etc pulling :v:

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

literally a fish posted:

(I forgot what stickers)

VB and Carlton Draught.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Stick the LM7 in, measure the dash /firewall for m112 clearance.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Well that'll teach me to go stating things :v: Weird, everywhere I read said they were all 4-bolt. Some L31s were TBI (not spider injector) - only in G30 vans, as far as i know; maybe those were the 2-bolt?

Mine was from a '97 Tahoe and had the spider injection :shrug:

literally a fish posted:

The trans in the van is a non-electronic 700R4. Any reason I wouldn't be able to just bolt that to the back of an LM7?

You can, with a flex plate adapter I think. But if you're swapping in an LM7, why not just get the trans its computer is already expecting? The mounts and overall length and such should be the same, right?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

You can, with a flex plate adapter I think. But if you're swapping in an LM7, why not just get the trans its computer is already expecting? The mounts and overall length and such should be the same, right?

:shrug: GM is weird. :v:

That's a fair point, it can't be that much more expensive either.

Plus then i'm left with a spare engine and trans we can sell off or whatever.

I guess it just comes down to how willing someone is to pull this poo poo and how we can get it down to Wes's :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 8, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Yeah, I found this that covers some of the details. The GenIII flexplate / crankshaft are at a different depth relative to the transmission than the original SBC/BBC. But I will wholeheartedly recommend just grabbing the 4L60E with a donor engine - you can tune the transmission at the same time as the engine and it is vastly more flexible than what you can accomplish with the 700R4.

If the mount for the transmission doesn't quite line up, it's still a truck - unbolt the crossmember, bolt it to the transmission, drill new holes wherever the crossmember lines up and bolt it there.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

It doesn't have to be expecting a 4Lwhatever-E though- manual GMT800s were a thing and I'm sure an LM7 thinking it's bolted to an NV3500 is only a flash away.
e: but yeah what IOC said, the newer transmissions are a fair bit better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

So, is anyone else googling where to get a plexiglass bubble dome?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

fun fact: on of my friend's dad built vans back in the day and he had one with not just that, but see through valve covers and distributor cap, too

lol

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress that, I'm googling a valve cover to frying pan adapter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dad has lived his life working out of Chevy 1 ton vans. Seeing the hump off the motor is a familiar sight.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

The US got little ones that you can go out and buy and drive right now for next to nothing

pinto cruising wagon.

vega panel express

There were also aftermarket kits for the corvette and mustang.

Oh, I'm aware of those, but not a one of those are an Aussie Falcon, are they? (I like the Vega delivery. It would be silly with a V8 or turbo 4)

God damnit! Now I want a Mopar 'Camino, too. I mean, I've always liked utes (I had a '68 Chevy El Camino in high school), but have somehow never seen the Mopar ones.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You forgot the blower. How can you forget the blower?!

Indeed.
<----see avatar

kastein posted:

Soooooo, how much would one of those shipped to Texas, with accessories, wiring harness, and ECU? For a friend, of course. I would never put one in one of the several non-running RX-7s I have.

I'm voting for the LSx in the van, too, if we have any influence.
Better power, better gas mileage, and probably better running condition, even if it had the same miles as the van's original. Those 5.3 truck motors seem to be very long lived.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

finally a use for EGR

Darchangel posted:

I'm voting for the LSx in the van, too, if we have any influence.
Better power, better gas mileage, and probably better running condition, even if it had the same miles as the van's original. Those 5.3 truck motors seem to be very long lived.

Yeah if ken's happy to rip one out with all the gubbins and the trans then gently caress it, apparently LM7 + valve springs + thumpr = ~420hp at the crank and an idle like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zura0gPkX4

I am totally on board with that. So is TerribleRobot. Is Adiabatic? who knows! Probably!

It does look like there's room for a blower, but I don't think there's room in the budget for one, sadly.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

Yeah if ken's happy to rip one out with all the gubbins and the trans then gently caress it, apparently LM7 + valve springs + thumpr = ~420hp at the crank and an idle like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zura0gPkX4

I am totally on board with that. So is TerribleRobot. Is Adiabatic? who knows! Probably!

It does look like there's room for a blower, but I don't think there's room in the budget for one, sadly.

This is the van you need. You will provide beer and Adiabatic will do as he is told. A lopey loving LM7 van will emerge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this fine fine molestation station.

How illegal would a V8 heated copper still be?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

How illegal would a V8 heated copper still be?

Looks like you've just found a use for the vans original motor, and all that space in the back. Here comes the moonshinemobile!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like you've just found a use for the vans original motor, and all that space in the back. Here comes the moonshinemobile!

A low temp thermostat opens at 180*f, ethanol boils at 173*f, water at 212*f.

seems like a match made in heaven.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Ignore this killjoy.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spare motor? Twin engined van, it's not like there's no room. :colbert:

• Locked thread