Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Beach Bum posted:

edit: removed

Come on man, it's OK to be jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Raluek posted:

Not that he's going to own it long enough for it to cause any problems, lol :shrug:

What do you mean?! This van will be treasured forever by AI.

I can't wait to see what kind of murals you guys come up with for it :colbert:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

gently caress yeah, it's in goon hands. It has a bright future ahead of it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

It's gonna lope. It's gonna lope and gurgle.

That is, until the turbo LS swap, right? Or will that be lopey as gently caress as well :getin:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm British, so if you need any exotic teas sending over then let me know.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

:laffo: are you serious.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

My phone browser squished the images, making the car look at least 30x more awesome:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

A car that can only light up the tyres. No more. No less. This is what the van needs to become.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What kind of modifications do you have to do to get a vehicle to run like this?

A reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly big cam.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Found your donor:
97 1500. L31 on the tag, everything looks right. I can get em for $100 for the pair hopefully this Saturday if you say the word.

By the time you lot have had to do the work to replace the heads, and paid for gaskets, bolts, etc, would it not be easier to just swap the whole drat motor and sell off the shortblock from the van? I mean, :effort:, and throwing a complete working motor in is just a safer bet than frankenmotoring it. But this is AI so maybe I recommend the opposite of this post, I don't even know any more.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

you just have to slap a tunnel ram and a pair of four barrels on it.

You forgot the blower. How can you forget the blower?!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Note I say LM7 not LQ4/9 because I saw six I could get whole for 300 each today...

poo poo...you think I could squeeze one into my checked baggage?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Stick the LM7 in, measure the dash /firewall for m112 clearance.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So, is anyone else googling where to get a plexiglass bubble dome?

gently caress that, I'm googling a valve cover to frying pan adapter.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

Yeah if ken's happy to rip one out with all the gubbins and the trans then gently caress it, apparently LM7 + valve springs + thumpr = ~420hp at the crank and an idle like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zura0gPkX4

I am totally on board with that. So is TerribleRobot. Is Adiabatic? who knows! Probably!

It does look like there's room for a blower, but I don't think there's room in the budget for one, sadly.

This is the van you need. You will provide beer and Adiabatic will do as he is told. A lopey loving LM7 van will emerge.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

How illegal would a V8 heated copper still be?

Looks like you've just found a use for the vans original motor, and all that space in the back. Here comes the moonshinemobile!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This is AI, there's no such thing as a 'spare motor'!

Edit:

literally a fish posted:

This is going to be lope.

And there's your bumper sticker! / mural

Powershift posted:

That's what i was going to mention. put a flex fuel sensor in there somewhere and say you're making fuel!

And now that's got me wondering if that would be a legitimately good way to make fuel. use the vehicle's waste heat to make ethanol to run the vehicle on.

Couple that with a little direct exhaust injection and you can practically run the van on water, man.

Let tell you about my new idea, it's called HHO and the first thing you need to know is that it isn't a scam.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Its your own drat fault for being so giving. (and owning a lift)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Bro do you even (have a) lift?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Time for that LM7 LS7 swap.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Have you considered a 1uz swap?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Take the body off the frame. Bonus: You're already half-way to swapping out the engine.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah that just needs a head gasket, lifters and maybe a cam for sure. Also a stern talking to about keeping its coolant in line and not letting it run amok in the valley.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I like the fact that you're contemplating buying a car to replace the motor that has a toasted head gasket, and the donor car has the same symptoms and may also have a toasted head gasket :psyduck:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah but with that risk present on top of all the other issues, it sounds like a bad call.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, let's let that decide our fate.

I saw a cloud earlier that looked exactly like a supercharged LS3 so.....

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So what's going on with the vantasy?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I wasn't sure what a Vortec was exactly so I googled it and saw this gem:

WHAT SIZE ENGINE IS A 5.3 LITER?!?!?!

Well...I would guess it's 5.3 liters.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

Heheh, we thought the same thing...

That's an unmodified G20 engine bay :getin:

In the UK, we never mention "American V8s", it's always "BIG American V8s". Yet your V8s are actually fekking tiny! I am jealous of your small yet large V8s.

Cramming a DOHC motor in that engine bay would mean sacrificing the supercharger, which is a pretty horrible thing to do.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Lol I posted it because 'who would be dumb to ask how big 5.3 litres is' but hey, I guess it's one of life's great mysteries!

Speaking of 5.3's, where's the one for this van? Are you still snowed under in the US?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

It's more reliable than a german engine, that's for sure.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

There was a thing on Hot Rod Garage where they did it, it seems pretty common and makes sense. The 'air gaps' in non-solid mounts are a weak point.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuAXsqaqfA&t=550s

start at 9:09

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 13, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

I have an insane urge to make that car go way faster than intended.

So... 40mph?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Someone buy the whole drat lot, then head over and finish the project.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Put the V8 motor in the new vehicle that you buy from Craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Is there a special reason why an actually-running van purchase is out of the question?

Too sane.

• Locked thread