Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

This is the van thread. The punishment vehicle has to be the worst minivan possible... although I admit I don't know what that would be. Presumably something made by Chrysler. A Plymouth?
I owned and DD'd a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan in lose-it-in-every-parking-lot "Ice Blue". It was a turd, a turd I kept on life support for more than 7 years because I'm really dumb.

The Plymouth Voyager suggestion is good - the first-gen, mid-1980's version with the 4-eyes headlights is pretty high on the list of absolute dogs. The transmission is guaranteed to poo poo the bed, slowly. As in, "That felt like a bit of a rough shift... wonder if something's wrong" followed a day later by "CLUNK" as the planetaries head for orbit.

PhotoKirk posted:

There was the era of Town & Country vans that liked to eat transmissions. Early 2000's? My brother had one.
I think every a604 tranny Chrysler ever built had to be re-built by an aftermarket shop or scrapped at some point. "Made of glass" is most of the way to an accurate description.

Leperflesh posted:

Unfortunately, if you choose a punishment vehicle which has the major flaws of an unreliable powertrain, you're not actually achieving the desired effect... because if it simply won't run, it stops functioning as a punishment vehicle. So what you want is a vehicle that is miserable to be in, miserable to drive, and has unreliable poo poo like electronics, body work, etc... but will still run and stop.

That's of course what made the bug a good punishment vehicle for the Botswana episode: the hosts considered it to be miserable to drive, but it doggedly kept up with the crew and didn't break down at all, so they had no valid excuse for leaving it behind.
Good point. I still like the first-gen Chrysler minivan, but swap out the engine for something less spastic and more cockroach-ey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
An expensive series of regrets around a vehicle seems pretty fuckin' AI to me.

Buy a Tahoe, have a great vacation, take a symbolic piece of the Van with you or get a tattoo or something.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Noise Complaint posted:

It's an extended cab, 4x4, and the tires I have for it are oversize super aggressive AT's... with white letters. Bench seats, also.

I could also throw in more LED lights than you could imagine along with other truck ricing poo poo. It has a brand new transmission with a shift kit, and a glasspack muffler.
A messed-with-in-a-good-way 4x4 F150 is a serious contender for "Most Stereotypically American Car". That's a good thing for a long-ish visit to the USA by an Aussie. A very good thing.

When I visited Tasmania for 4 months a few years ago, I bought the "Most Stereotypically Australian Car" I could find for my budget. Made in Australia, designed by Australians, hell mine even had a Founding Myth to go with it. But I named my Ford Falcon Ute "Missed It By One" when every Australian I met and asked about *Most Australian Car* said "Holden Commodore Ute".

Take the F150. Slap anyone who tries to tell you Chevy or Dodge are somehow more emphatically 'Murican.

• Locked thread