Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
HI I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS AND NEED DETAILS PLEASE AND THANK YOU SOMEONE CALL ME OR SOMETHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Little did iForge and I know, the Twin Racing Comanche Adventure last year was only practice.

Edit: literally a fish my redneck friends have been trying to get me to buy a Chebby 350 for YEARS and I can't tell if they're going to be excited that I'll be working on one at my place or horrified about the circumstances of its existence. Either way :thumbsup:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 4, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iForge posted:

Buying a rape van in an alley behind a housing project and having the title notarized in a shed behind a group of row homes in the adjacent ghetto for someone you never met except over the internet who lives 10,000 miles away is insane? Hmm

For unto us a child is born, Unto us a son is given

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I foresee lots of goons in my house in 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I'll leave the explanation to fish, but:

PLUS:

PLUS:

https://goo.gl/maps/NEtAU1AVv3t

Gotta go to one of my mom's doctors appointments, might as well do a "good" deed along the way.

This owns you own

This van is bringing all of AI together

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

don't drink as much as us, and have your pager with you?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Once this van is running that won't be an issue :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Better hurry before there's van guts everywhere :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

chains, straps, and a grease gun in the back of a candyvan. :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Where to even begin...

SharkyTM brought this bitch over to my house at around 10pm last night:

I have no idea how the hell y'all got so lucky with the width of this van:

Got her set off and we went to eat lovely hot dogs and listen to lovely live band music:

Now, onto the first issue:

And a slightly less critical second issue:

...WAIT HOW DID IT GET THERE?!?!?!

PROBABLY LIKE THIS

AND THIS

literally a fish posted:

I really need someone to stand next to this thing for scale. I don't think I quite grasp just how enormous it is. :v:

Exterior:

Interior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS79uBL7RE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

This is us leaving for NEAI 2016.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pictures and videos to come later, but it's important that everyone meet Chebby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig6ne_YAoWA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Weekend Photo & Video Dump:

This was all the coolant that came out:

Seducing Cory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3adAtm_iTc

Ghetto Winching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcwE001iyI

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Through the front. Google-Fu says it'll come right out with the gearbox all easy-like, and I for sure believe that. May have to jack the front up a bit but it should be relatively straightforward.

Ninja edit: yeah what those guys said

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Naw you're fine. We definitely appreciate the discussion!

Next weekend iForge and I (and maybe AcidRonin if he quits being a buster) will be taking the engine and gearbox out. After that, I'm not exactly sure what we can do until we are able to get the donor engine.

There's been talk in IRC of tanneriting the old engine...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Christ almighty AI has some good people. Awesome weekend and glad to have you buddy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

it's up to ole' spacesloth up there as to whether he wants another lovely GM product in his yard for the duration.

I'm at my limit of broken cars for the time being. Let's try to source an engine, not an entire car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Wrar and I are free in two weeks if you want more doge, donunts, and labor for vannanigans.

That would be the first weekend of February, just to be clear.

iForge and I were planning on taking the engine out this weekend, but SNOWPOCALYPSE may be happening and he may not make it down. If he doesn't make it, we'll have plenty to do! If he does, I can't guarantee I'll have any work but y'all are welcome to poke and prod.

literally a fish posted:

These were my thoughts also, I am glad we agree :sun:

:peanut:

Edit: If we had a VERY short and concise and well-planned timeline, we could use the lift to pull an engine from a truck, but I'd want it out of there the weekend it comes over.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 19, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8ender posted:

We get storms as bad as your biblical snowfall at least three times a winter in Ontario. Except this winter. This one is weird and has everyone on edge because we haven't had a proper snowfucking yet.

I used to live in Michigan and have the wifeys Jeep to plow around in, so Ive been having a bunch of fun pulling clueless yuppies out of snow berms :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Let's get a date set up to finish pulling the old motor and trans yeah?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

YOU MUST ACQUIRE ADDITIONAL VORTECS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

_______________________/
FEEEEEED MEEEEEEEE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Further South, TerribleRobot and I are planning on pulling the old motor/trans this weekend.

BURST FORTH FROM THE WINTER INTO PRODUCTIVE SPRING

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

We could always take the BMW off the lift, then use it as a hoist. You just have to promise you'll help me get the BMW back on the lift afterwards :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah my garage door is 7'.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

yesssss its catching onnnnn

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's all moot currently anyways. I won't be able to put any appreciable time into it until May.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Come on by if you need a place to stay. I've got the guest bed you can share with Badger.

The weekend of May 14th I woun't be here, but I should be around every other weekend for the next couple months.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

Still no real updates yet. Adiabatic has been super busy with Foresters and work and class, and Ken is still cursing the very existence of the blue MJ.

sooooooon.

Speaking of, TerribleRobot you wanna set a date for random unneeded poo poo extraction and fuel pump shenanigans? With the BMW and now the Forester, if I don't set a date for it then it won't get done.

Anyone else reading is welcome to join.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

E30 work then Gorester teardown/work. After that, Sneep work (there's a clunk and I also have some more poo poo to install) then Camacho needs a slight lift and a 4WD front axle at the same time.

Van work whenever based on manpower and parts availability, since it gets worked on at the doorway instead of the lift.

Motorcycle work whenever since it doesn't exactly need the lift either.

There's plenty work to be had for the rest of the year, I assure you.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Van update:

I replaced the tire chock with a wood chock.

Pics soon

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Hey so I live in Fredericksburg and have a bunch of tools and free time and apparently now I'm an "actor" instead of a "mechanic" so I wanna wrench again. When can I roll down and help you? Bonus if you live on the same side of Richmond as Tandy Leather. Also Terrible Robot owes me a beer and this looks like my best chance to collect. :chord:

Whatup guy. I'm not working on the van until an engine is able to make it, but I'll be donging around with the Gorester tomorrow. You're welcome to come chill.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

We can always tear down the engine relatively easily and measure poo poo. New gaskets and whatnot can't be too expensive, and we can inspect the water and oil pump clearances while we're there.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

FWIW we only need the trailer, though logistics would make truck/trailer combo easier.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A giant radiator fan and two more ARP bolt sets showed up as well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hi I got bored so here's some pics of yo poo poo in my spider breeding grounds messy garage:

This poo poo is getting rather packed, consequently:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I got the new suspension and brakes in. It's coming along at a glacial pace.

• Locked thread