Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
NOPE, IT'S A 3100 WITH A TRANSAXLE, SHUT UP I KNOW WHAT I GOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

Little did iForge and I know, the Twin Racing Comanche Adventure last year was only practice.

Edit: literally a fish my redneck friends have been trying to get me to buy a Chebby 350 for YEARS and I can't tell if they're going to be excited that I'll be working on one at my place or horrified about the circumstances of its existence. Either way :thumbsup:

yes

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress rollers. They won't make your engine any louder or van any faster.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Beach Bum posted:

I think I was going to suggest Valvoline Racing as a lower-priced oil with high ZDDP content for your flat-tappet cams but then thought better of it after I'd posted because I wasn't able to find conclusive evidence of VR oil actually still having high ZDDP. It's what I used in my M20 E30 that had a flat-tappet valve train.

It is quite a bitchin' van (and it seems it's only going to get better), and now I'm asking if you NEAI folks would accept a Floridian, since you're accepting Aussie crooks and all :v: I need a summer vacation anyway

it's ok, he can get Supertech from walmart and dump a bottle of zddp in it. Not like a 350 cares, lol.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

:laffo: are you serious.

Still looks better than the before picture.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Not to derail, but as a non-mechanic, I have never understood this kind of operation. What kind of modifications do you have to do to get a vehicle to run like this? Why do it? Does lovely low-RPM performance imply better high-RPM performance?

Basically. It's sucking in and lovely out the air so fast, the lower RPMs can barely handle it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that, we could just throw the vortec in with a Thumpr.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Honestly my suggestion would be slam an LM7 in it whole with a set of aftermarket mounts and splice up a quick harness. But he's got this giant boner for a thumpr cam for some reason and keeps talking about maybe carbing an engine that already came with perfectly alright TBI, so I am staying the gently caress out of the way and not turning wrenches on this thing, I'll do parts acquisition but my input is definitely not needed on How To Do This.

Note I say LM7 not LQ4/9 because I saw six I could get whole for 300 each today...

Thumpr is available for that as well.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he WANTS a carb, it's mostly from us sperging to him about TBI's dislike of big cams iirc.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

That's interesting. I don't see the bosses for the spider. What's the deal with that?

They're flush, and partially filled with coolant jizz.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

Are you sure? The ones on the L31 are pretty prominent.

E: The tops of the lifter bores in the van's motor aren't machined flat, either. Weird.

My bad, retarded.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

Thus far, no rodents. Plenty of spiders, but I'm used to that, and your spiders ain't got poo poo on ours :v:

Progress is slowly beginning with the stripping of the original wiring harness and crap...

I'm waiting for you to find a Wolf spider, then be really disappointed when it runs away crying.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

I will try to put up some sort of livestream when we get to doing actual work on the van. It is currently way too loving hot to even consider going outside so I reckon we'll be working well into the night on this one.

Eyup. gently caress sydney funnel webs and blue mountains funnel webs and funnel webs in general, so glad I don't live where they exist.

gasp, an australian thinks it's too hot?!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

Anyone have the block side of a standard gen1 SBC clamshell engine mount? These bits:

i.e. the bit that bolts to the engine. We gave our originals away when the original motor got taken and as it turns out the engine mount kit I bought did not come with the right metal clamshells (it came with something else entirely which won't work with our chassis-side mounts)

HRG fixed this issue in their build with these but I already bought the adjustable billet plate so if I can get a pair of clamshells then I'd rather go that route. Cheapest I can find 'em for on eBay is like $70 which is a bit ridiculous imo

Scrapped my last pair, sorry dude.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

I also have $5m in personal liability coverage from my travel insurance, so I'm good on that front.

I'm renting a "Camaro SS or equivalent" from Avis using the USAA code, picking it up tomorrow, gonna hang onto it for 3 weeks. Got a few destinations in mind to hit, gonna try to make it to https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/ with Tremek depending on timing. May be in Orlando saturday night/sunday morning to watch the JCSAT-16 SpaceX launch.

Yes this means rental camaro donuts at NEAI :getin:

After that due to some stuff going on at home I may have to go back home early, so depending on how that pans out over the next week or two I'll make my plans for post-sept-1st.

You're going to do 2000 miles in under a week? Better hope the Camaro has comfortable seats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Robot posted:

IIRC it wouldn't have fit even with the top off. That garage door is loooww.

So Wes won't let me cram my 14 footer in his port? :/

• Locked thread