Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm proud to be playing a part in this insanity. Adiabatic hasn't been around on IRC much this week so I think all he really knows is that at some point a van will arrive in his backyard and some time after that boxes from Summit and Jegs will begin arriving. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn I can't wait to get started tearing into that big blue bastard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
As one of the bastards that has to actually wrench on this thing, let me make one thing perfectly clear here: we are not converting this van to 4x4 :colbert: It's gonna be enough work to get the new driveline in and everything else finished. Let's try and keep things realistically insane.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

Agreed. RWD it is. I assume that we'll be delaying the NEAI meetup until it's done, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Make a plan, stick to the plan, and we have a chance of completing the plan.

Also, it's official: Trailer rented, locations confirmed, trip to HF planned for tomorrow to pick up some bigger ratchet straps and a come-along. I'm debating even bringing my little 2500# ATV winch, I didn't get a chance to make a bracket for it, and I don't have the trailer on-hand to test fit. I'm heading down to iForge's on Thursday morning, arriving at 1500, pick up the trailer, get to his place by 1600, where he can help load. Haul down to Richmond, spend the night at Adiabatic's :gooncamp: , and then drop off the trailer in the morning and head to my mom's for the all-important appointment Friday afternoon.

Is anyone planning on working on the van this weekend? I could head back down to RVA, it's only 2.5 hours... assuming the appointment goes well.

I'm planning on being there this weekend for initial triage/preliminary work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

AcidRonin posted:

i have this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apwMqObFlxU

On cassette tape. I humbly offer it as sweet van music.

It shall ride with us eternal, shiny and chrome.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Man this weekend was awesome. I'm glad Sharky made it back over for wrenching/drinking, he was a huge help and generally rad as gently caress.

We got a good bit of work done, probably 5 bolts are left holding the driveline to the van, so next time all that old junk will be outta there quick fast. Wes and Sharky have most of the interesting pictures and video, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to provide visual delights.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

That mill coming out through the front, or the door?

If memory serves, you won't have enough space for the former, and the setup for one side or the other looks suspiciously lacking in hard surface for tiny cast wheels.

Out the front. Almost the entire front clip is just bolted on so it was about 45 minutes of work to get it all off and presto, tons of room to yank everything straight out through its mouth.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Power to you, gentlemen.

My only contribution is: get that loving hoist head kissing that block, you're going to need every sixteenth of an inch & you still may need some poor bastard back in party central hauling on the transmission yoke. If I could, I'd be there, since I'm in south Jersey and just a hop skip & a jump across the Cabin John away.

But as long as people keep driving through buildings and setting poo poo on fire I'm still work, work, work.

(edit) you mean: the bar/headlamp mounting face that the bumper assembly bolts onto also comes off? If so, vans have changed since I kast wrenched on one...plus, Chrysler.

This is the front fully stripped down. The bumper support is still there but it is so low as to not even be an issue. As you can see once all the accessories and intake have been removed (we pulled the intake after the pic) the block is actually quite compact, it should fit through that opening with tons of clearance all around.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Supercharger would take up the space where the radio was.

Heheh, we thought the same thing...

That's an unmodified G20 engine bay :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ferremit posted:

VB Green then.

Acceptable

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Alarbus posted:

I like how the smart rear end descriptions are swapped for the engine mounts and window weld. I guess window weld IS a hell of a drug.

Actually the descriptions are exactly where they should be. The window weld goes into the engine mounts, making them into a poor man's solid engine mount. :pseudo:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

E30 work then Gorester teardown/work. After that, Sneep work (there's a clunk and I also have some more poo poo to install) then Camacho needs a slight lift and a 4WD front axle at the same time.

Van work whenever based on manpower and parts availability, since it gets worked on at the doorway instead of the lift.

Motorcycle work whenever since it doesn't exactly need the lift either.

There's plenty work to be had for the rest of the year, I assure you.

We also need to install that EJ25 in my Foz at some point, although I swear to god the knocks have gotten quieter.

Let me know whenever you're going to be working on the van/gorester/bmw, I'm usually not doing anything on weekends.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My friend might sell us his old 5.3 powered work truck for cheap too if the van doesn't work out, and it can be delivered directly.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I am excited to finally begin Phase 2 of Operation Vantasy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

how the hell am I going to explain the purpose of my visit to the immigration officer

IA! IA! CTHULHU F'TAGN!

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 20, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
After NEFR was over, iForge, Adiabatic and I stopped at Kastein's place to pick up the 6.0/4L80E (plus extraneous transfer-case [possibly for later shenanigans? Who knows?]) and stare in awe at his AI/DIY compound.

A wild kastein appeared

He has neat things.

The toiletjeep awaits final judgement.

Rest assured, ratchet straps were added after this picture was taken.

Thanks, Ken!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

After having seen the aftermath of the power plant's journey to the mid-Atlantic today, I dub that trailer hitch cargo carrier the "Leaning Platform of Transmission"... a few more miles and it may have been a goner. I can only imagine the language directed towards iForge while rolling down I95.

It made a pretty excellent tailgater deterrent, I know that much :v: They'd creep up, we'd hit an expansion joint and watch 'em fall waaaay back. It looked sketchier than it really was though, I've seen photographic evidence of that carrier hauling two NV4500s at once. The 4l80/t-case just wasn't a well-balanced load.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 22, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The Vantasy needs to be ready before August 20th. It's going to be uh...fun.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
THE FISH IS HERE

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Humidity is like 78% @ 89F, so it feels like 102, and it's still climbing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Was born in Florida, never want to return, thanks.

Its almost like people have different tolerances to temperature and humidity :v:. I've lived in the south for literally my entire life and I will still get heat stroke at the drop of a hat above 90F even if I've killed a gallon of water throughout the day. If the heat doesn't bother you that's loving awesome for you, now either drive over and help out or shut the gently caress up cuz I'm sick of hearing it every time temperatures get brought up.

We've got the old harness off the engine, driveshaft pulled off the rear diff, waiting for it to cool down more before start trying to get the engine/trans into/out of the van for mount measuring.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At this point the interior is going to remain "as is", all effort and time is going to have to go into the drivetrain to have a snowball's chance in hell at completing this. Even when we do get the engine and trans in, Painless Performance still has our ECU hostage and we have to get a driveshaft made up. So we could do everything right and STILL get hosed in the end, which is what makes it so much fun.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's a 6.0l/4L80E driveline. Meatpimp is thinking of the LM4, this is an LQ4.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'd still love to try and finish the van but it's become Schrodinger's Project; if we press on we need to drop at least another $1k and we still might not get it finished in time, or everything could go 100% smoothly (LOL). We're too close to the leaving date for NEAI to press on with this project, unfortunately.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hearse

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The GW hasn't been all that bad the few times I've taken it.

And yeah last I heard the Tappanzee had been closed due to crane landing on it. E: apparently all 7 lanes are reopened as of a couple weeks ago.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just had a thought... You could pull that fiberglass top off the van and turn the whole roof into one big sunroof with some plexiglass.
At least then you could get it in the garage.

IIRC it wouldn't have fit even with the top off. That garage door is loooww.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ozmiander posted:

So Wes won't let me cram my 14 footer in his port? :/

Noo but you are...cleared for docking :dance:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Me