Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
This is a story about how I acquired a van nicknamed "The Beast" for LiterallyaFish

After all the back and forth with the seller on Saturday night, I arranged to meet him Sunday. He said he needed time to wake up so come by between noon and 1pm. Whatever. I show up in the ghetto of York, PA at what is basically a housing project, call the guy when I am in the alley behind the house and it takes him 10-15 mins to come outside.

I look the van over, figure out that everything he had in the listing was wrong and he doesn't know his rear end from his hat. Neighbor's car was blocking it in so I couldn't jump it and the battery I brought didn't fit in where it needed to go. Gonna wing it. Negotiations begin, I went low, he countered, and we settled at $800. He then tells me that his notary friend is getting his kidney dialysis and won't be free for an hour. Whatever. We drive 3 blocks over to the notary's house.

We go down an alley and into a back yard where there is a shed. Maybe 10' x 15" and this is the office. We walk in, guy is a double amputee wearing a leather vest and a tattered beanie. Paperwork begins, except the seller forgot his license so he had to go back for it. All is well and I pay the man and get the keys. I leave. 2.5 hours later I get a call from the seller saying that I forgot to pay the notary fee. He had said that his "friend" was going to do a favor for us and I assumed that meant it was free. There was no mention of money when we were there and the guy shook my hand as I was leaving, no mention of money then either. Guy is telling me on the phone that the fee is $50, I countered with a text quoting that state law says he cant charge more than $5.

Whatever, I have the notarized title and notarized bill of sale, so tough poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

The van was removed from the seller's property around 2pm eastern today. The shipper is meeting me to make the drop-off when I get home from work tomorrow. Stay tuned.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

literally a fish posted:

(also verifiably insane <3)

Buying a rape van in an alley behind a housing project and having the title notarized in a shed behind a group of row homes in the adjacent ghetto for someone you never met except over the internet who lives 10,000 miles away is insane? Hmm

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

The van has been unloaded and the shipper paid. I have permission to park it in a neighbors vacant driveway for a few days so tomorrow I'll fill the coolant and try to make it go.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I've been busy as poo poo. Finally pictures of the van in no particular order.

And my cat. Because catte.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bring me a case of VB in your luggage

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

literally a fish posted:

Awesome. I don't want to give you the go-ahead until we've got the van to Adiabatic's where it can be properly inspected

What makes you think I can't?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Tossed some coolant in the van and tried to start, battery charged up to 12v but was down to 3.5v after 2 days. Went out and bought a new battery, installed it, and cranked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVJXNfjdyk

I figured out where all the coolant is going:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

So I was going to do shocks on the mj Saturday, maybe I'll go to RVA instead. :getin:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kastein posted:

That's a one-beer job. The fronts actually take longer than the rears.

Rears: 2 nuts each, don't twist the studs off they're welded to stuff

Fronts: 2 bolts and a stem each, they're all through hardware so buy a handful of 5/16 1.5" grade 8s and blast the old hardware out/cut the nuts on the stems in half with a dremel.

Yeah I'm hoping to get on the lift for a few mins to do it down there, I have nowhere to wrench anymore

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sorry for the delay, my phone is a huge piece of poo poo and wouldn't transfer the pictures properly. I'm getting a new one this weekend.

Sharky showed up with the trailer around 4:15 and pulled away about an hour later. Here is the pic dump.

Pulled the van back with the MJ

Power for the winch

Janky winch

More janky winch

Dat rear end tho

Almost there!

Soon

Charon's chariot

Ready to go!

May you ride eternal, blurry, and chrome!

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2016

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah its easy to start when there's no loving coolant left to flood the cylinders :argh:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Requesting the block be painted in tardis blue thanks.

No.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

It takes all of 10 seconds to take the tailgate off the MJ and probably the same for yours, so clearance there wont be an issue. I can be a middleman for the engine if you dont want to/have time to take it all the way to RVA

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Micromancer posted:

This thread is really making me miss my old Vandura. Drove it to Bonnaroo one year so if you are at all considering dropping a twin bed in the back: this is what that looks like. Click for 2x

Not enough guns and thongs.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Engine is on a pallet at absentmindedwelder's shop for the time being. The hitch basket is permanently bent but didnt look like it was about to fail to be honest. It is going in the dumpster regardless. Goodnight sweet prince.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

A man travels south. His cargo heavy but his shoulders light, for his purpose is known. Destiny awaits.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Engine is in richmond along with the trans and harness. 11 hours of driving today. Wilmington to Richmond and back with a quick stop in Newport News. 530 miles in all. Im loving beat

iForge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2016

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I can't help but love this pic.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

1991 chrysler lebaron convertible, but it has to be the i4

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

The only way Im getting rid of the Gorester is if the PO wants it back. If I mangle it beyond recognition it becomes a stationary work of art.

You better keep the mj

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

When is the convoy? I live 20 mins south of philly but I have to work Friday so I wouldn't be coming up until friday night or saturday morning. Also I like pats the best, and tony lukes the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Thursday am, aiming to get to Philly around lunch, then look at traffic and decide which way we want to go through/around NYC (GW Bridge, TappenZee, or further north on Doodletown/Newburg)The northernest route only adds an hour or so and it looks like there are some gorgeous/fun roads in that area.

I'll miss you then. I'll be around, but at work until 4. Still deciding if I want to brave traffic on friday night or drive up early saturday morning.

• Locked thread