Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh gently caress, my grandfather had one in that exact color pattern that he drove until he passed. Dude crossed the country well over a dozen times in it. They are loving awesome and comfy as gently caress. I truely regret selling it because I didn't have the knowledge or give a gently caress to make it run. Make sure you completely seal the roof though, they leak like a mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And is probably one of the best bang for the buck upgrades on those motors you can do. And can be carbed if desired.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

After seeing the interior shots, I'm 100% certain that the company that did the conversion on it was also responsible for doing the one on the van my grandfather had, just a different set of options on the conversion since his was a full on camper conversion. Weather proof the poo poo out of any openings in that roof top for vents, A/C and the like because it loving loves leaking. And weatherproof around that top extension thingy because it also loves leaking. Also, its probably worth seeing if it has/had generator in it since I think the switch panel on the back wall was the controls for it in my grandfather's van.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

325ci. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

Stupid question. Would the trans behind an LR4 4.8 be the same 4L60e as the one behind an LM7? I really don't want to work on two junkyard cars for one project but that 2wd 1500 4.8 had a probably good trans and the 4wd trans on the LM7 donor was all torn apart.

They are the same block, just a different bore or stroke, so it should be the same trans behind them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Since I was at work, I asked the boss and so long as its pre 05, it should work. In 05 the pins and internals change due to it going to the 4l65/4l70. She does recommend getting the pcm with the engine, but it can be pulled wuth the tranny and flashed. She generally knows anything needed about domestic transmissions.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've also got access to some pretty detailed breakdown pics through a catalog at work, so if you need 'em, lemme know. Also, 05 started the 4l60 to 4l65 changes by going from a 13 pin connector to a 15 pin connector from what she was saying, however the output shaft splines should be the same as the pre electronic 4l60s if the van driveshaft fits lengthwise.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Anything I can do to help. It gave me something to entertain myself and it gave my boss an excuse to whip out her transmission reference stuff. She also mentioned that you may want to change the torque converter to something with a different stall speed the second I mentioned a loping cam. Though it would of course depend on how extreme you go with it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Our commercial sales dude did it to the mounts on his crapcan pt cruiser after they started to fail. They seem to work perfectly. vOv

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It usually makes most of the trip with no hood on it, nearly kills them from carbon monoxide poisoning and turns a 1-2 day trip into a week. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd say come nab mine out of whatever jy it goes to, but it would be in florida and its almost certainly going to lkq plus any sensors are probably toast. Its a shame, the 4l60 was rebuilt with all 4l75 components, the 5.3 still ran like a top. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It had started charging at all kinda of fucky voltages, so I'm guessing the voltage regulator was going fucky. Maybe it was letting too many electrical pixies into the wires and it caused it? I unno. Every ground seemed to decide it hated life and melted or the insulation on it caught fire. :iiam:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I forgot it was an lq4 and was wondering how they got aluminum heads to rust. Also, I kinda wonder if the lq9 6.0 is the same deal as the l33 5.3 where they used flat top pistons, a fancy cam and a nicer head with stock truck springs/valves to make the high output version. Gen 3 sbc legos are awesome and now I get why honda guys like playing honda legos. :3:

Edit: quick research says that it was in fact 99 and 2000 that had iron heads, all other years were aluminum. Also, the lq9 only has flat top pistons. Thats disappointing.

Edit 2: For reference, the casting number on the iron heads would be 12561873. The aluminum heads would be casting number 12562317 if thathelps, not that the rust isn't a major indicator of what its made of already. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 22, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Come down to florida. Its even worse. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm ok with adventures of an aussie in america, featuring an ecoboost mustang. :v:

• Locked thread