Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I woke up this morning to a text from our very own Terrible Robot:

what have I done?! I suppose I'd better explain.

You see, I was balls deep in Craigslist when the insanity began to take hold. You know what I'm talking about. The Feelin'. When someone gives you an idea, and you just know.

I'd already promised myself I'd be going to the next meeting of the northeastern division of this place - the place they call Automotive Insanity. I can assure you, this is most definitely that.

We had humble beginnings. "Hey fish," I thought to myself, "You should buy a lovely beater off Craigslist to drive in a convoy from Richmond-ish, VA up to NEAI with Terrible Robot and Adiabatic (along with whoever you meet on the way) - It'll be way cheaper than hiring a car!"

So began the scouring of TR's local Craigslist. A couple of hours later, it happened - something clicked in my head, and I found myself staring at example after example of circa 1992 conversion van. "They're so cheap! And if I buy one, I won't need to pay for accommodation most of the time, I can just sleep in the back and at goon houses! And small block chebby!"

Days passed. Others were drawn to my mission, and the world's greatest thankyou is owed to iForge, who did all the legwork and drove five plus hours to buy this beast for me off the world's worst educated PO:

(click for full size)

The PO, you see, insisted it was V6 and FWD. We knew this could not be true; the PO even told us one shred of truth, that the motor is a 350. In reality, of course, it's a 350 SBC (L05 mill) and it's definitely RWD. All these vans were. Yeah, it's got head gasket issues, but that's fine - I'm gonna put better heads on the thing anyway... (Or rather, I'm going to ship better heads to Adiabatic's house, and then TR and him will put SWEET SWEET PERFORMANCE PARTS into A 1992 CONVERSION VAN)

I don't even know how much I paid for the thing, just that it was $900 or less.

I have yet to be given more photos or any indication that the thing actually works.

I am ten thousand miles away from a car I just bought off Craigslist.

I did, however, find out that because it's a campervan we never got here I could potentially import it back to my home country (Australia) once I'm done with it in the USA. Probably won't though, it'll probably chill on Adiabatic's lawn until NEAI 2017.

if this isn't automotive insanity WHAT IS GODDAMNIT

did I mention it's getting a comp cams THUMPR™ cam, long tube headers, and exhaust cutouts? I may have to buy Adiabatic a welder.

CHECK OUT THIS SWEET TAPE DECK IT HAS:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
[10:08:51] <iForge> balls
[10:09:38] <iForge> that was.... interesting
[10:09:42] <literallyafish> John!
[10:09:43] <&chrisgt> STORY PLZ
[10:10:02] <iForge> also his notary is trying to scam me
[10:10:06] <iForge> so thats fun
[10:10:19] <&chrisgt> you... need a notary to buy a car in PA?
[10:10:22] <literallyafish> lol wut?
[10:10:47] <iForge> ive never bought one in PA, he had a notary all lined up for the potential sale so i went with it
[10:11:05] <&chrisgt> jfc
[10:11:24] <literallyafish> how much did I pay for it? :V
[10:11:39] <iForge> 800
[10:11:48] <literallyafish> i'll take it
[10:12:07] <&chrisgt> so how'd the whole thing go down?
[10:12:11] <literallyafish> ^^^
[10:12:49] <&chrisgt> you're driving into the ghetto in PA, you see a van parked in someone's driveway...
[10:12:53] <iForge> well i got there like 12:30, called the guy, he was home but it took him 15 mins to come outside
[10:12:58] <iForge> i guess he had to finish beating off
[10:13:41] <iForge> the pictures in the craigslist ad show it in a yard or field, its actually in an alley behind a housing project
[10:13:54] <literallyafish> this gets better and better
[10:14:21] <iForge> i look it over, dude goes inside and doesnt come back out
[10:14:32] <@ssswitch> i like where this is going
[10:14:34] <iForge> old man shows up and is the seller's girlfriends dad
[10:14:41] <literallyafish> bahahaha
[10:14:51] <iForge> so he is looking it over with me, talking up "the beast" as it is named
[10:15:03] <@ssswitch> did you send cory up a watch tower with a rifle
[10:15:04] <iForge> first thing i did was look underneath btw, rwd
[10:15:14] <literallyafish> number of surprised people: 0
[10:15:20] <iForge> hah
[10:15:27] <literallyafish> maybe the owner, lol
[10:15:30] <@TerribleRobot> lmao
[10:15:39] <&chrisgt> that's a situation where saying less is better
[10:15:44] <literallyafish> indeed
[10:15:50] <iForge> whats even better is his gf's dad called him out on it being a v8 not a 6 and it wasnt fwd
[10:15:53] <@ssswitch> "oh this is rear wheel drive, that's bad in the snow"
[10:15:59] <literallyafish> LOL
[10:15:59] <@ssswitch> "i'll pay 600"
[10:16:07] <@TerribleRobot> lolol
[10:16:11] <@ssswitch> (burns chinese pall mall down to filter instead of negotiating)
[10:16:12] <&chrisgt> hahahah wow
[10:16:15] <@ssswitch> "600"
[10:16:46] <iForge> so that sweet sweet tape deck is mounted at the rear of the van not in the dash
[10:16:57] <iForge> so its for jamming while you are in the back
[10:17:00] <literallyafish> yee
[10:17:03] <literallyafish> i knew that
[10:17:12] <literallyafish> i'm gonna put my Awesome Mix Vol. 1 tape in that deck
[10:17:17] <@TerribleRobot> lol
[10:17:25] <@TerribleRobot> what is broken
[10:17:26] <&chrisgt> do lines off it first
[10:17:30] <@TerribleRobot> ^
[10:17:36] <iForge> it has one flat tire, has been sitting on it for a month so that tire is trash most likely
[10:17:52] <iForge> he said a month, its probably been 3
[10:18:14] <iForge> his bullshit about "it used to be a truck"\
[10:18:41] <literallyafish> well he's technically correct, it did leave the factory as a truck, then it immediately went to another factory to be made into a house
[10:18:44] <iForge> it was made as a cargo van, the conversion company bought it as a cargo van brand new and converted it but never changed the title
[10:18:54] <iForge> so he had it fixed
[10:18:58] <literallyafish> lol
[10:19:05] <@TerribleRobot> lol
[10:19:09] <iForge> its titled as a station wagon by the way
[10:19:12] <iForge> :V
[10:19:17] <literallyafish> shaggin' wagon*
[10:19:18] <@TerribleRobot> :V
[10:19:24] <iForge> well SW
[10:19:27] <iForge> so that applies
[10:19:27] <literallyafish> huehuehue
[10:19:48] <iForge> so we have to wait an hour for his notary to get back from kidney dialysis
[10:19:56] <literallyafish> LOL
[10:19:56] <literallyafish> wow
[10:20:07] <&chrisgt> hahahah wut
[10:20:35] <iForge> drive 3 blocks to a slightly more ghetto area and go in a yard behind a group of row houses to a shed in the back yard
[10:20:46] <iForge> the shed is this guys notary office
[10:20:59] <literallyafish> everything about this is perfect
[10:21:29] <iForge> guy is a double amputee in a wheelchair wearing a motorcycle jacket and a tattered beanie
[10:21:35] <iForge> i cant make this the gently caress up
[10:21:36] <&chrisgt> remings me of this https://xkcd.com/461/
[10:21:45] <literallyafish> jesus
[10:21:56] <iForge> dude forgot his wallet at home so he had to go back and get his license for the transfer
[10:22:00] <@ssswitch> iForge: post everything about this in the thread
[10:22:09] <iForge> paperwork signed and good to go
[10:22:14] <literallyafish> ssswitch: i was just going to selectively trim the IRC log and post that
[10:22:22] <@ssswitch> swag
[10:22:24] <iForge> i leave, saying ill arrange to have the van towed in a few days
[10:23:14] <iForge> seller calls me after im home and says "uhh dude you forgot to pay the notary fee"
[10:23:30] <@Ozmiander> i just played terraria with ace for...
[10:23:40] <iForge> he had talked it up that it was his friend and the guy was going to do it for free, there was no mention of money the whole time we were there
[10:23:43] <literallyafish> LOL
[10:23:52] <iForge> so the guy tells me over the phone its $50
[10:24:05] <@Ozmiander> like 7 hours
[10:24:08] <iForge> i googled and its state law that the notary cant charge more than $5
[10:24:14] <literallyafish> Ozmiander: I BOUGHT A VAAAAAAAN
[10:24:20] <iForge> so i sent a text calling him out, no response
[10:24:28] <@Ozmiander> literallyafish: link
[10:24:34] <literallyafish> van: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/5370551896.html
[10:24:34] <&chrisgt> scroll up
[10:24:43] <&chrisgt> oh, for van. yea
[10:25:01] <&chrisgt> the thread doesn't haev content yet, it's unfolding in real time
[10:25:03] <literallyafish> iForge: i mean the paperwork's all done, right?
[10:25:11] <literallyafish> notary can't do gently caress
[10:25:13] <@Ozmiander> yup. order the heads/cherry bombs/cam yet?:P
[10:25:17] <literallyafish> not yet :V
[10:25:24] <literallyafish> chrisgt might be junkyarding me heads
[10:25:27] <&chrisgt> Ozmiander: i'm gonna see if i can find a 5700 in the yard up here
[10:25:31] <iForge> yeah the guy was like hey when you send the guy up to get the van can you send the $ with him, im not sending you $50 you said it was free rear end in a top hat
[10:25:32] <&chrisgt> they'll be like $50 if they do
[10:25:37] <&chrisgt> so i can get them to iForge in feb
[10:25:58] <@Ozmiander> iForge: You have to notarize a loving title there?
[10:26:04] <iForge> i had to wipe off dirt to find the tag on the firewall but its indeed a 5.7
[10:26:11] <iForge> yeah you do apparently
[10:26:12] <literallyafish> yeah it's an L05
[10:26:16] <literallyafish> they're all L05s
[10:26:21] <literallyafish> do it run?
[10:26:24] <@ssswitch> tree fitty
[10:26:32] <@ssswitch> big whoop megavan
[10:26:41] <&chrisgt> Motronic: would know the PA rule around that
[10:27:16] <iForge> i dont know if it runs, the battery i bought was too big to put in and hook up and the neighbors car was blocking me from getting close enough to jumper cable it, but dudes dad said it ran a month ago and i could tell he was sincere
[10:27:18] <INTERNETMOPEDFLEET> let's be real: what rules does motronic NOT know
[10:27:33] <iForge> brought not bought*
[10:27:34] <literallyafish> i'm sure it works enough to get itself down to wes :V
[10:27:47] <literallyafish> with a couple tyres
[10:27:50] <@Ozmiander> so where's it sit now?
[10:27:57] <@Ozmiander> title/location etc
[10:28:02] <INTERNETMOPEDFLEET> whoa hold on you can't go putting tyres on it, you gotta get tires for it
[10:28:08] <INTERNETMOPEDFLEET> this is america

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 4, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I've already started collecting performance parts in online shopping carts :v:

SBC enthusiast goons! I know at least one of you has to have a set of Vortec 5700 heads (1996-2002, the Gen1 SBC 5700, not the LS one - This One, In Fact which is also known as the 806 casting it seems?) lying around somewhere. If I'm lucky, maybe you even had the guide bosses machined to raise the max valve lift!

If the above description matches you, PM me or post here! I want your used small block parts! (Bonus points if you also have valve covers and a stock TBI intake! The bolt pattern is different from L05 to L31! drat you GM!)

WHY AM I YELLING?!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This van will be your chariot into Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

What I'm hearing is "Ask Slow Is Fast to cut you a giant "WITNESS!" decal"

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm proud to be playing a part in this insanity. Adiabatic hasn't been around on IRC much this week so I think all he really knows is that at some point a van will arrive in his backyard and some time after that boxes from Summit and Jegs will begin arriving. :getin:

Come back, Wes! We need to (try and fail to) shock you!

Mat_Drinks posted:

This is a crazy, but awesome idea.

The buy story, with all of the hassle... gently caress me :doh:

And so it's still there? I hope the mouthbreather doesn't try to gently caress with it and that it gets 'home' ok.

iForge is a gentleman and a scholar. I owe him a shitload of beer. Yeah, it's still there for now - trying to get quotes on getting it towed the ~140 miles (road distance) to iForge thru UShip. If the PO fucks with my van, I will mail him millions of spiders.

stevobob posted:

This thread is like being pulled by a chain up the first hill of a roller coaster. So much anticipation! Thrills! Quick unexpected curves! Unyielding waves of vomit!

I genuinely could not stop laughing for 2-3 minutes after reading this
I'm still flip flopping between gently caress YEAH and oh god what have i done
it's mostly gently caress YEAH though

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 4, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Did you edit in the bit about the L31 intake manifold bolt angle being different? I was about to point that out.

Yes. :V

IOwnCalculus posted:

If this was 10 years ago I'd have been able to hook you up with my used ones :v:

The L31 heads are great, just gotta machine those bosses (as you already know) and get an intake that fits them. I've never heard of an actual TBI Vortec, just the garbage spider-injector factory setup. I did find references to a GMPP TBI intake but it seems to be quite spendy. If you want to stay TBI, get a carb manifold and an adapter plate.

The actual TBI vortec was only used in some G30 vans, apparently.

I forgot about the horrible spider injector. Oh god. gently caress that. Carb manifold and adapter plate it is!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Fish likes to dumb down his IQ from time to time for some weird reason. And visiting the US can do that! WALMART! BURGERS! GUNS! MURIKA! MUSCLE CARS! GUNS! :v:

I just want to have fun, Dad

(and avoid rental cars and motels while building a dope-rear end lopetastic small-block-chebby campervan)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

I'm not quite that hardcore. :v:

Adiabatic posted:

HI I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS AND NEED DETAILS PLEASE AND THANK YOU SOMEONE CALL ME OR SOMETHING

Ah, there you are, sir. If you would just sign these forms...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

chrisgt posted:

I don't really have a good grasp what's what with GM products. Someone will need to sperg me up a list of what to look for, or I can just go to the yard and take stock of what's there for late 90's trucks. I should be able to get a set of heads for around $50

According to Wikipedia,

• 1996–2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full-size vans
  • 1996–1999 Chevrolet/GMC C/K full-size trucks
  • 1996–1999 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Suburban full-size long-wheelbase SUVs
  • 1996–2000 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon (and 2000 Tahoe Limited and 2000 Tahoe Z71 models) full-size short-wheelbase SUVs
  • 1999–2000 Cadillac Escalade

Are the vehicles you're looking for. The pic above from Raluek should be helpful too. Apparently "1996 G-Series vans over 8,500 lb (3,856 kg) GVW w/ 4L80E transmission" have the L31 with a regular ole TBI setup, too - if you find one of those, grab the intake from it, but don't bother with the horrifying spider-injector setup most of them have.

I need the valve covers too, as it turns out. I think these might have roller lifters too which could theoretically be useful.

Fo3 posted:

:lol:

LAF when are you going over there?
Back in the day I had a dream about taking over my own aussie PANEL van (drifter or sandman), but unless I had contacts or a lined up buyer I would do what you did, ie get a US van to travel and sleep in.

Whenever the next NEAI is, which according to Fart Pipe is anytime between May and August :v: I'll be hanging around for a week or so beforehand and a couple weeks afterward too to tool around the east coast and do all the touristy things.

kastein posted:

You need to get that thing the gently caress out of the seller's hood like NOW, because who loving knows what he's doing to it right now, as people have already noted. Last time I went on a "buy a car/parts car in the hood" adventure like this, the guy swore up and down on CL that it was a complete running truck just the windshield was smashed and it was too rusty to fix, and should make the drive to my place fine. I show up, and...

[description of fuckery]

I told the guy to get hosed with a pineapple full of AIDS, stop bullshitting people, and made my escape.

I'd go as far as saying you should have it AAA'd to the nearest walmart parking lot or storage unit and deal with the rest once it's titled. As long as he doesn't know where it is and it's got some sort of license plates on it, it's better off.

e: I'll see if I can find heads for this thing if chrisgt doesn't find em sooner.

That's... That's something. It is/was iForge's call, but I agree, myself - which is why from the looks of things I've accepted a quote to transport the thing to his house that's a bit higher than i'd have liked, totally fine in order to get the thing moved ASAP.

Thankyou all for your support and laughter. This is gonna be RAAAAAAD

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
From what I've read, the valve covers MIGHT not fit (some people report needing to change valve cover on a 92 block to fit the Vortec head), so I figured for the $10-25 they'll cost it's worth getting them just to be safe.

AFAIK no truck L05 has a roller cam/lifter, but they're roller-ready. All the holes are drilled and tapped and everything, it all bolts right in.

Ripping the old roller lifter setup would be awesome because then I don't have to deal with possibly murdering a flat-tappet cam during break-in, and DEAR LORD WHY ARE ROLLER LIFTERS $400-1000?!

I was under the impression that roller lifters basically don't wear out, so it'd be OK to use them - awesome if true but if false not the first time the internets lied to me.

You're welcome, SBC nerds :v: how hard is it to break in a flat tappet cam properly (using break-in oil and everything) - if I buy a conversion-to-rollers kit it's $800 for the cam I want vs $200 for the flat tappet equivalent (w/lifters, retainers, and springs)

Edit: Oh also, the factory L31 rockers are self-aligning stamped steel pieces that I'm going to reuse unless someone gives me a reason not to (or aftermarket ones are cheap)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

You don't need a 'convert to roller lifter' kit, that's for early SBC blocks that were only offered as flat tappet only. A '92 block, even if it came with a flat tappet cam, is ready to use a roller cam and the cheap factory rollers, instead of the expensive retrofit rollers.

Excellent.

I shall revise my order with the junkyard goons to include the necessary bits of bracket :v: (or I would if I knew what they were called...)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

I dunno. I have heard that if you're putting in a new cam you should do the lifters at the same time, and when I didn't do that the machine shop pointed out that my new cam had some premature wear on it from not putting new lifters in, but I dunno how much it actually matters. How long are you going to keep this beast?

Yeah lifters seems smart after discovering I was looking at retrofit lifters when I don't need to retrofit.

Ozmiander posted:

gently caress rollers. They won't make your engine any louder or van any faster.

I'm definitely struggling to justify the increased expense of roller cam. It's a lot more money and doesn't seem to actually provide much in the way of advantages beyond "you don't have to break this in"

ROLLER VS FLAT TAPPET: GO

It's probably going to spend most of its life doing gently caress all and get used like four weeks a year for three years.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Flat tappet it is then :V

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The cam by itself is fine, but once you add up the other bits required to make it all behave, it's $300-400 extra for no real reason. That's an entire nitrous kit!

E: VAN NEWS FROM THE EASTERN FRONT

The van is being picked up tomorrow and will be at John's Wednesday or Thursday. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT, iFORGE.

KozmoNaut posted:

I fully support this. Make it a bangin' party-van.

Totally down with partyvan. It needs at least twelve inches of subwoofer.

Beach Bum posted:

edit: removed

BUT WHAT DID YOU WANT TO SAY
It's OK, goon, you can't piss me off, I HAVE A BITCHIN' VAN

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

gently caress yeah, it's in goon hands. It has a bright future ahead of it.

It's gonna lope. It's gonna lope and gurgle.

iForge posted:

The van was removed from the seller's property around 2pm eastern today. The shipper is meeting me to make the drop-off when I get home from work tomorrow. Stay tuned.

iForge, m'friend, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
(also verifiably insane <3)

What do you mean?! This van will be treasured forever by AI.

I can't wait to see what kind of murals you guys come up with for it :colbert:

I think he thinks I'm going to sell it after my trip later this year. FEAR NOT, GOONS! As long as Wes has a backyard, I'm keeping it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Yeah I just figured you'd keep it for a trip or two, maybe drive it a couple thousand miles in total, and that it wouldn't really even get out of its break-in period by the time you were done with it. I'm glad that's not the case.

Are you doing anything to the short block? Or are things pretty much solid there?

Also, how well does the TBI and computer play with whatever radical cam you're going to shove in there? I assume that sound is more important to you than actual power?

to answer your questions: maybe a rebuild if it's hosed, no goddamn clue (we haven't even started it up yet), TBI can work with a megasquirt or flashed PCM through these nerds but i still dunno if i'm gonna do that or throw a 650cfm holley 4150 on top, I'd like it to not suck major balls power-wise but yeah sound > performance because lets be real its a conversion van

it's still getting like a 50 shot of nitrous though
because nitrous

Wes and Cory will use it on occasion I suspect (and I'm open to the idea of lending it to others once i've done my inaugural trip) so it should get a decent amount of miles on it. it will have only the finest parts store oils

if the short block is in good nick then it'll be getting no changes; stock pistons make a 9.6:1 compression with the vortec heads, which is fine.
if it's hosed it'll get rebuilt probably by wes' SMALL BLOCK CHEBBY enthusiast

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

KingPave posted:

So basically, instead of a town bike it'd be a town van? I guess it'd be more of an AI than town thing.

Also, have you organised the plates for it like we discussed in IRC? And the stickers, you cannot forget the stickers.

Unfortunately to order the plate I first must have a virginia title, so I'm leaving that part to TerribleRobot. The stickers will happen.
(I forgot what stickers)

MrsAdiabatic posted:

How about a turbo?

We have to save SOMETHING for 2017

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

look at that cavernous fuckpit.

New favorite phrase.

A car that can only light up the tyres. No more. No less. This is what the van needs to become.

It's also gonna light up the eyes of goons. But yeah, it's getting a junkyard posi (with any luck) solely to do better burnouts.

That's loving amazing. 11/10. I am so hard I could cut diamonds.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Found your donor:
97 1500. L31 on the tag, everything looks right. I can get em for $100 for the pair hopefully this Saturday if you say the word.

There were a handful of other donors but they all looked worse than this one - open corroded throttle bodies, collision damage, etc.

Awesome. If you could grab those, that would be A+, though we should probably work out how they're getting down to Richmond before I go sending you [money / off for parts]

kastein posted:

Honestly my suggestion would be slam an LM7 in it whole with a set of aftermarket mounts and splice up a quick harness. But he's got this giant boner for a thumpr cam for some reason and keeps talking about maybe carbing an engine that already came with perfectly alright TBI, so I am staying the gently caress out of the way and not turning wrenches on this thing, I'll do parts acquisition but my input is definitely not needed on How To Do This.

Note I say LM7 not LQ4/9 because I saw six I could get whole for 300 each today...

E: that and I can't in good faith suggest a whole block change without helping do it, because it looks miserable on a van body.

The giant boner for the thumpr is because if I'm gonna have a small block chebby it's gonna lope, dammit, and the thumpr has the best sounding lope I've come across. I can be talked out of the thumpr, but yeah, it can be had for LSes too.

I could be convinced to throw an LS motor in there (such as the LM7) - as mentioned, the thumpr works with those too, and AIUI the GM LS ECU has been so widely modified it might as well be a standalone.

I don't so much not want a roller cam as fail to see the point in spending $$$ extra just to get a roller setup. The idea of throwing a factory roller block in had occurred to me, but the cam itself is still 2x the price of a flat tappet cam, and lifters are another hundred bucks.

Both the L31 and the L05 are 4-bolt mains, the short blocks might as well be identical. Neither really has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, but electric fuel pumps for carbs can't be that expensive.

Again with the carb thing it's less a question of what I'd optimally want to do and more a question of bang for buck. From what I've read the stock TBI (which I'd have to buy a $400 manifold to make work with the Vortec heads thanks to the different bolt pattern) won't particularly enjoy any lopey cam, and any/all modifications I can find to make it happy land up costing $230 for a ported throttle body and $300-400 for reprogramming the PCM. By that point (including the manifold) I've spent ~$1000, and I might as well just throw a cheap Holley 4150-pattern manifold on with a $450 carburetor.

I'm still really not super happy with running a carb, but it's what Adiabatic's SBC-nut friend recommends, and he's volunteered to tune the thing, so it's probably going to get the holley on sheer bang-for-buck grounds.

I'm considering a Holley Sniper EFI aftermarket TBI system but the price tag makes me a sad panda.

I guess now I have to go look into what an LS swap will cost? :v: at 300 bux for the motor, how bad can it be? (what else am I going to need? The entire engine wiring harness and ECU? A megasquirt?)

The only thing I'm set on is the Thumpr. I'm happy to change the entire rest of the engine, I just want dat lope :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Not necessarily, my L31 wasn't. I'm not sure which trucks get 2-bolt and which get 4-bolt.

Well that'll teach me to go stating things :v: Weird, everywhere I read said they were all 4-bolt. Some L31s were TBI (not spider injector) - only in G30 vans, as far as i know; maybe those were the 2-bolt?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, you'd need the engine, all accessories on it, and the full fuel injection / harness / ECM. No reason for a megasquirt unless you've already got one or are trying to set the engine up without the stock harness / ECM. The GM ECM is pretty thoroughly hacked at this point and can handle just about anything you want to throw at it.

You would probably want the transmission to match the engine, too. Seems like '92 could be a non-electronic 700R4 / 4L60, an electronic 4L60E, or a 4L80E. I don't know if there's any "LS" or "non-LS" 4L80Es out there, but there is definitely an early / late 4L60E split. '92 will be well on the early side, any GenIII should have the late version with a separate bellhousing.

The trans in the van is a non-electronic 700R4. Any reason I wouldn't be able to just bolt that to the back of an LM7?

Well, kastein, if you're willing to rip all that poo poo out, and TerribleRobot/Adiabatic are happy to shove it all in, I'm game to put an LM7 in - it actually seems like it might even be a more sane decision, somehow. Or at least cheap.

(Freakin' LS thumpr is $400... but I suppose junkyard parts are cheap!)

Edit: it's worth keeping in mind, too, that Adiabatic has a lift, which helps (especially if we swap the whole engine...)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 7, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The more I think about it, the more putting an LM7 in makes sense.

And the more I think about that, the more buying an entire LM7'd truck for parts seems reasonable... I'm sure it's not, though.

hey ken how do you feel about LM7/harness/manifolds/etc pulling :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Mine was from a '97 Tahoe and had the spider injection :shrug:

You can, with a flex plate adapter I think. But if you're swapping in an LM7, why not just get the trans its computer is already expecting? The mounts and overall length and such should be the same, right?

:shrug: GM is weird. :v:

That's a fair point, it can't be that much more expensive either.

Plus then i'm left with a spare engine and trans we can sell off or whatever.

I guess it just comes down to how willing someone is to pull this poo poo and how we can get it down to Wes's :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 8, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

gently caress that, I'm googling a valve cover to frying pan adapter.

finally a use for EGR

Darchangel posted:

I'm voting for the LSx in the van, too, if we have any influence.
Better power, better gas mileage, and probably better running condition, even if it had the same miles as the van's original. Those 5.3 truck motors seem to be very long lived.

Yeah if ken's happy to rip one out with all the gubbins and the trans then gently caress it, apparently LM7 + valve springs + thumpr = ~420hp at the crank and an idle like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zura0gPkX4

I am totally on board with that. So is TerribleRobot. Is Adiabatic? who knows! Probably!

It does look like there's room for a blower, but I don't think there's room in the budget for one, sadly.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Lets take this to its logical conclusion; can I fit a still in the back that will produce 96% ethanol, which I can blend with 10% gas and run the engine? :getin:

E: I like how we're on page 5 and the van isn't even at Adiabatic's yet.

This is the van you need. You will provide beer and Adiabatic will do as he is told. A lopey loving LM7 van will emerge.

This is going to be lope.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

That's what i was going to mention. put a flex fuel sensor in there somewhere and say you're making fuel!

And now that's got me wondering if that would be a legitimately good way to make fuel. use the vehicle's waste heat to make ethanol to run the vehicle on.

Couple that with a little direct exhaust injection and you can practically run the van on water, man.

I could build a van that ran entirely on self-distilled bud light

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Just a quick reality check post here; until the van is actually a known quantity (i.e. at Adiabatic's place where it can be checked over and more information gathered) there will be no deciding of which of these many paths we have available will actually be followed.

LM7 swap may or may not happen depending on a huge number of factors, such as whether the 350 in the van needs to be pulled from the van at all, whether an LM7 can actually be obtained and shipped down to Richmond, etc etc.

I obviously really want it to happen but it's not just about what /can be done/ but what /will actually get done with the time and workforce available/

With that in mind, we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Let tell you about my new idea, it's called HHO and the first thing you need to know is that it isn't a scam.

what form do i need to fill out for my 100mpg carburetor

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

KingPave posted:

You need to bring this man a bunch of Aussie beer, I imagine they get some there in the US but its probably the poo poo stuff and ridiculously overpriced.

Did you know they all think we drink Foster's? Nobody drinks Foster's! Foster's sold in the US is even made in the USA

And KingPave is right, beer comes in slabs mate - send bazza down the bottle-o to grab a slab of carlton and a slab of VB, that'll get us set for 'straya day, just have to remember to pick up some snags and steaks a couple days early

fun fact: if you bring your car to the sandown 500 you are limited to two slabs of beer per person, IIRC

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

KingPave posted:

Didnt they limit it to 1 slab per person for Bathurst?

Yep, google confirms it with an article on SMH from 2009: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-national/v8-fans-face-slab-limit-at-bathurst-1000-20091006-gjlq.html

That limit is per-day, so the nearby bottle-o's would be making a killing.

Hmm. Maybe the signs at Sandown said 2 slabs per car, then? That or i'm dumb.

MrChips posted:

Straight up per person or per person, per day? Because then smart people would be burying their poo poo at their site, Bathurst-style.

Also does the limit include goon at all?

Yeah, per person per day. No idea on the goon...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

People actually drink that poo poo?

I have no idea what the gently caress you said in the second sentence though.

Not here, that's for sure.

A translation: Hey bro, send Barry down to the liquor store for a case of [beer] and a case of [other beer], that should be enough for the 4th of July. We just need to remember to pick up some sausages and steaks for the BBQ closer to the date. :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I am fine with that, it takes me about 2 to 3 hours to have a whole drivetrain out working at a lazy pace, since I rip the cab off and either tip it over with a high-lift or have the yard dogs forklift it off first thing. The only issues are getting one of my MJs on the road in time to bring it home and finding a way to get it to VA.

Another minor feature, 2wd donors are semi rare up here so you'll probably get a tcase and two sawzalled driveshaft halves too. Van with a crawl box? Sure. Ghost ride that poo poo.

Awesome. I don't want to give you the go-ahead until we've got the van to Adiabatic's where it can be properly inspected, but in all likelihood this is the road we'll go down.

Hmm. Does that make much/any difference if I wanted to remove the tcase? or would I be better off leaving it there & just getting the driveshaft shortened?

kastein posted:

Are you willing to pay the premium for a rust free southern drivetrain? Go ahead and do it. Want the same thing 5-6 times cheaper, but it looks nasty and you have to fight with the exhaust manifold fasteners a bit? Go ahead and do it.

*checks box two*

Exhaust manifold fasteners are what bap baps and penetrating oil are for, right? :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

I have read this article, and it's definitely a part of what convinced me the LM7 option should be our primary game plan.

what the hell GM why does a cam make 100 freakin horsepower

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

iForge posted:

What makes you think I can't?

Fair point, actually. I really just meant "where it's going to actually be worked on" - having made it from your house to Adiabatic's under its own power would be a nice milestone, and he won't commit to a project pathway until he's seen it himself, which is fair.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Adiabatic has real spindly fingers, he can get up inside that van in a way no other man should try. Some say he can speak to every GMC product and divine its secret true name.

I like this answer better, though.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
:rip: 350 :V

That complicates things somewhat. It sounded like it wanted to run, but clearly didn't get anywhere...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

This owns you own

This van is bringing all of AI together

God I love this place. I love you all*. I love you especially Adiabatic and Sharky™. This van is going to be goddamn amazing.

*Except that Terrible Robot guy. He's pretty terrible.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Aw cheer up TR you know I'm just fuckin' with ya <3

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Bwahahahaha. Dis gon b gud.

Feel free to leave the tcase behind; it turns out to cost $75 for a 2WD bellhousing and output shaft, and they just drop in, so unless it's $free.50 (which, knowing you, it will be :sun:) you can leave it.

Otherwise, aww yissssssss

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I can probably find one for a few hundred bucks. Tell me what fits the 4wd swap kits for that era c-van.

Either that or we can go 2wd. The output shaft drops in from the back right? As in you don't have to take everything out of the case, swap one bit, and put it all back in? On the transmissions I'm used to, that's what happens.

As it turns out the tailshaft does NOT drop in from the back. Rude. I am 100% certain Adiabatic and TerribleRobot don't want to disassemble the trans, and I don't want to be encouraging them to do so, so that can stay.

Is there any harm in just letting the front output yoke freewheel? The driveshaft will need shortening anyway. I'm slightly concerned about clearance; there might not be room for a transfer case, so hold off on grabbing a 4WD until we've confirmed that there's room. Your MJ might not be working before then anyway :v:

Edit: as a side note, no, it's not getting 4x4 converted. Maybe in the future? :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 11, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Guys I know you're all super excited about the possibilities but Terrible Robot is 100% correct.

SCOPE CREEP, PEOPLE. It's an engine swap from an old as dirt TBI SBC to a shiny new MPFI 3rd gen LS motor, along with the dozens of other things that it'll turn out to need (brakes, suspension crap, god knows what else) - that's all going to be hard enough on its own.

I'm trying my best to not kill the vibe but there's no point in planning to do things that we simply won't be able to achieve with the time and workforce available okay :v:

(at least not this year)

Nitrous, on the other hand...

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 12, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
According to iForge, THE VAN IS ON THE MOVE

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I really need someone to stand next to this thing for scale. I don't think I quite grasp just how enormous it is. :v:

:sun::swoon: ALL OF THE LOVE FOR SHARKY :swoon::sun:

Wes has evil plans for getting it into the garage. Hopefully they work :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It's not meant to, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be made to. The issue would be weather sealing putting it back on, and the fact that the inside of it is full of storage compartments and a TV, so that's not really a practical option.

• Locked thread