Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rather than have abilities with specific upgrade requirements (which can simply be non-viable in certain environments/encounters and could be frustrating), maybe make a few generic patterns which modify their abilities in certain ways. Something like the Bombardier's patterns, if you move in a diamond shape on your turn it makes your powers Slow people regardless of the power, etc.

Or, instead of patterns, set other movement requirements like "must start adjacent to one ally, and end adjacent to a different ally" or "must pass through difficult terrain" or what have you. Almost something geomancer-ish where your available abilities effectively changes based on your environment - a narrow passageway is going to give you different opportunities from a crowded town square. This is probably a bit less flavorful than dance patterns, but it might create less headaches.

Though I'd keep in mind that movement in Strike is oftentimes fairly limited thanks to the strength of Opportunities, so you'd have to account for that in some way. The class may have a passive reduction to Opportunity damage, or get to ignore the first Opportunity each turn, or simply have powers that work with that in mind ("if you provoked an opportunity during your turn," "shift 2, if you end your turn adjacent to the same enemy,").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"If you move diagonally, X, if you move laterally, Y" seems like exactly what the Rogue needs to differentiate itself from other classes.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

ShineDog posted:

That's a positive right?

Hell loving yes it is. That should've been self-evident. I mean, poo poo, I playtested the thing back when it was SBBQ and got a box quote :smaug:

And a combo class like it sounds the bard/dancer is aiming for could work in one of two ways: either you have a move that unlocks a special thing when a condition is met or you have a move that gets better (or unlocks) when a certain condition is met or a game currency is earned.

The former would make the character more opportunistic, the latter would make the character more momentum based.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MadRhetoric posted:

Hell loving yes it is. That should've been self-evident.

And a combo class like it sounds the bard/dancer is aiming for could work in one of two ways: either you have a move that unlocks a special thing when a condition is met or you have a move that gets better (or unlocks) when a certain condition is met or a game currency is earned.

I've actually started working on a class that ramps up to unlock Magician-style Major abilities since I really love using those and you can't really give them out unless they're locked behind something (like rationing them or RNG ala the mage). Ramp also has the benefit of discouraging nova fights, but that isn't a huge issue in Strike anyway since your At-Wills eventually do as much damage as your Encounters barring your level 7 ones, and even some of those aren't stronger damage-wise.

I'm also working on a turret-based class but that one is more of an idea than anything concrete right now, haha. Hopefully the finished class I alluded to earlier in the thread will be available by the end of the week, I'm just waiting on art and formatting at this point.

e: if someone wants a fun project come up with a way to make a Gambler class that uses multiple dice to play slots that isn't miserable. Chaos Mage gets away with it because it makes those choices pre-fight instead of during, but it might be able to work somehow.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

e: if someone wants a fun project come up with a way to make a Gambler class that uses multiple dice to play slots that isn't miserable. Chaos Mage gets away with it because it makes those choices pre-fight instead of during, but it might be able to work somehow.

You can do far worse than a Yacht-style roll some/keep some, e.g.:

Three of a kind: D or E
Most other valid Yacht combos: D and E
Large Straight: Critical

5 of a kind: Critical + something (varying by class power or character level, or supplying a game currency)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MadRhetoric posted:

You know what would be an awesome thing for this system? A squad vs squad wargame option. Like that throwaway squad combat system in FATE Core, but with more tactical depth.
When I was trying to figure out what my stretch goals were, I pitched such a thing to people and their reaction was ehhh. I guess I just pitched it to the wrong people. The thing is already partway designed, so it's a good bet that you'll see it as a mini-expansion sometime.

The idea is that you can play as rival gangs fighting over turf. Each player would play a different gang. Each gang has certain classes they can use, with the possibility of hiring others. There are different sorts of missions you can run to take land or resources from your rivals.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

homullus posted:

You can do far worse than a Yacht-style roll some/keep some, e.g.:

Three of a kind: D or E
Most other valid Yacht combos: D and E
Large Straight: Critical

5 of a kind: Critical + something (varying by class power or character level, or supplying a game currency)

Ignoring that a good way to do a gambling thing would be to, like, roll a d6 (there will be a summary table at the bottom)

Well, to keep that anywhere near balanced, you'd have to break down percentages. It comes up with some weird results. Let's take a simplified version of Yahtzee: you get one roll. All you do is check to see how many dice are the same value, and you pick the highest. So, worst outcome is none are the same (or "1"), then 2 are the same, then 3 are the same, four of a kind, five of a kind. Oh, and a full house. So, highly simplified.

Well, the chance of missing and getting a strike with a d6 is 1/6. So, that's about 16.7% chance of happening (Missing at all is 33.3%) A glancing hit is 16.7%. A solid hit is 33.3%. And a crit is 16.7%.

So, basically, we need 4 outcomes that are about 16.7% chance of happening, and 1 outcome that's about 33.3% chance of happening. Let's start with A General Hit.

The closest I got was just above 32%, so if you roll a yahtzee, get no matches, or two pair, you hit normally. The next closest thing is about 17%. Let's be nice and assign that to a crit. So, if you get 3 of a kind or 4 of a kind, you crit.

Now, we're left with full house and single pair for the just-over 50% to handle missing/strike, missing, and a glancing hit. Unfortunately, you're much more likely to roll a pair than get a full house, so we need to do a second roll. However, now we can shoot for 33/33/33, because each of those, originally, had a 1/6th chance, and so are equally probable. We already know one combination that produces a 32%, so let's assign that to glancing hit. But, there's no way to assign any other combination of rolls that'll produce 33%. SO, we need to roll AGAIN. BUT! There's about a 50% chance to roll a full house OR a single pair!

So, to have about the proper percentages, we need the following table:

Equivalent Die Roll : Actions to get that roll

6: Three or four of a kind on the first roll.
5 or 4: Yahtzee, no matches, or two pair on the first roll.
3: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by a Yahtzee, no matches, or two pair on the second roll.
2: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by NOT rolling a yahtzee, no matches or two pair on the second roll, followed by rolling a full house or a single pair on the third roll.
1: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by NOT rolling a yahtzee, no matches or two pair on the second roll, followed by rolling something other than a full house or single pair on the third roll.

We haven't even included choice in these rolls, though. But, at that point, you really need to develop a personal distribution table of points that a person will get while trying their best to make the best score, which again would probably be best reflected by trying to force matching behavior. Good luck figuring out the probability that a person will go from trying to get a full house to trying to get a straight between the second and third rolls.

Now, what I think would be cool is to develop a slot machine. Just code it so that 1/6 of the time, you get 7/7/7 or bar/bar/bar, then have a payout table that happens to perfectly reflect a D6, and just not tell them. That seems like a lot of work, though.

edit: Huh, I must have a lot of free time.

Now that I think about it, clearly you should swap 2 and 5, so that your third roll is a check to see if you Miss and gain a strike or CRITICALLY HIT

Note: the chance of getting a yahtzee on a single roll is pretty small, so if you wanted to say "if you get a yahtzee, this good thing happens" it wouldn't mess anything up.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think a part of a successful Gambler has to be a push your luck mechanic, yeah. Something like holding die ala yahtzee, or a blackjack-style mechanic. The FFXI Corsair might be interesting inspiration to look at for the latter since it actually uses a d6-based blackjack system.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Have Gambler use 3 die for all attacks that are normally meh but when you rack 3 of the same it's a jackpot.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I had some crazy bullshit system based on a Chinese dice game/Cee-Lo once, where you got effects based on doubles, triples, the dice number and a 456 straight. I eventually gave up and just made a draw and keep card system like the ToB Crusader. You could use the cards themselves as your hit or bust mechanic, with the press your luck mechanic being a blind discard and draw. If you have to use dice, you just assign powers to numbers, possibly with an effect akin to the out of combat skill checks.

Also, Jimbozig: did you sell the squad based game addon as "Final Fantasy Tactics: Elfgame Edition"? Because that seems like it would print money.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Jimbozig posted:

When I was trying to figure out what my stretch goals were, I pitched such a thing to people and their reaction was ehhh. I guess I just pitched it to the wrong people. The thing is already partway designed, so it's a good bet that you'll see it as a mini-expansion sometime.

The idea is that you can play as rival gangs fighting over turf. Each player would play a different gang. Each gang has certain classes they can use, with the possibility of hiring others. There are different sorts of missions you can run to take land or resources from your rivals.

This sounds like necromunda lite and that's kind of incredidible.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, at last night's session one of my friends was going through the contents of my dice bag and found my d14 with the days of the week written on it as well. We joked that if the players ever went into an area with a temporal anomaly we'd first roll the die to see what day it was when they entered and upon them returning roll it again to see which day of the week it was now. Maybe roll 1d6-1d6 to find out how many weeks have passed since entry and in which direction.

This got me thinking of time travel in general and of Ettin's Retrocausality RPG, and upon reading it again after getting home after the session I realized that the time travel mechanics presented in the game would map out to Strike! nearly perfectly. I could definitely see first running a normal chase or team conflict in Strike!, making index cards for the events of the conflict in a round-by-round order, and then just doing Retrocausality style time combat after it to alter the results of the conflict with time travel shenanigans.

I started writing down some stuff based on it, mostly just ideas on how to implement time travel into Strike!, and it's amazing how well this stuff works:
  • The very basic nature of Twists works really well with time travel. You travel back in time to dinosaur times, as scientists like to call them, and accidentally step on the wrong little mammal (Twist) and upon returning to your own time you realize that humanity never came to be in this timeline, the world instead being ruled by reptilian humanoids.
  • Time travel itself is as simple as a skill roll with a Restricted skill, with the extra permission of needing a time machine. Better yet, you can easily adapt the custom rolls from the Vehicles expansion for time travel.
  • Although I wouldn't recommend actually implementing time travel into tactical combat, many of the classes can be easily reflavored in such a way that they make sense in a setting where time travel is commonplace: the Shapechanger, instead of literally turning into a mammoth, appears in combat riding various megafauna they've pulled forward from the past; the Buddies is a single person who just happens to fight in concert with an alternate timeline double of theirs; even most of the other classes have abilities that could easily be reflavored as some application of time travel in combat.
Anyway, I'm still writing this thing, but that's just some of the stuff I've been thinking of. I'm probably not going to monetize it because it's just introducing ideas from another RPG to Strike! and other silliness, but when I do get it all written down and properly formatted I could post it here. In the meanwhile, I'd welcome ideas about all the other cool things you could do with time travel in Strike!.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 7, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It should be fine to allow special movement as part of powers that let you say something like "move up to your speed", right? Like say, a leaping charge?

On that note, a question about Opportunities w/r/t the Leaper trait. I'm on board with granting Opportunities when something leaps out of a square, and not granting them mid-leap makes sense, but what about landing?

"...This allows you to avoid granting Opportunities in the middle of your movement but not when you leave the first square or land in the last..."

Does this mean you grant an opportunity to adjacent enemies when you land in a square, or does this refer to something like leaping to a square next to an enemy, and then using standard movement to move out of that square?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Scyther posted:

It should be fine to allow special movement as part of powers that let you say something like "move up to your speed", right? Like say, a leaping charge?

On that note, a question about Opportunities w/r/t the Leaper trait. I'm on board with granting Opportunities when something leaps out of a square, and not granting them mid-leap makes sense, but what about landing?

"...This allows you to avoid granting Opportunities in the middle of your movement but not when you leave the first square or land in the last..."

Does this mean you grant an opportunity to adjacent enemies when you land in a square, or does this refer to something like leaping to a square next to an enemy, and then using standard movement to move out of that square?

My reading on it is if someone has some ability to grant opportunities from people moving into an area, most notably the Archer's Sentinel ability, Leaping into that zone triggers the Opportunity. You don't normally trigger Opportunities from moving in, so it's more of an edge case resolution clause.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ah, yeah I forgot about that one, good point.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
Just got my hardback copy, so excited.

I've also ordered some Doublesix Dice, because it's been my experience that putting your fate in the hands of one single cube that doesn't roll very well just isn't satisfying enough. There's a reason most games either go d20 or dice pool. I've seen them IRL, they look fine.

Then I went a little overboard and ordered a couple of 3D-printed 24-sided dice, because why stop at twelve, right? I'm much more skeptical of their fairness, whatever the product description may say, but I'm giving them a chance.

Also, coincidentally, I recently discovered that lab-grown rubies, unlike lab-grown diamonds, are pretty cheap. And all this time I've been using plastic or cardboard for my boardgame money. They have arrived, and Strike! is going to be the first game I use them with, as action points.

I'm pimping up my game, is what I'm saying.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Woah, that's pretty sweet. I knew rubies and such weren't expensive, but that is even cheaper than I expected.

Maybe when I'm done saving up to buy a house I can convince my wife that it makes sense to buy gems for my toys.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Are there any recorded sessions of Strike! online? I'd love to show my group how this game works as they are really reluctant to play anything aside from D&D without some serious convincing first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unfortunately all my games have been on Roll20 or irl so I don't have any examples, but a quick look into The Games Room shows a few play by posts going on (though they aren't super active right now). Maybe that'll help?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748345

e: my actual advice is to show them the class/role stuff because that's definitely what got me immediately interested in the system oh-so-long ago. It was just so fun to make different combos, even if I only played a fraction of them.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

IT BEGINS posted:

Are there any recorded sessions of Strike! online? I'd love to show my group how this game works as they are really reluctant to play anything aside from D&D without some serious convincing first.

I was in a group with Jimbo when we did a bit of Strike!. I think this is the one where I accidentally crashed a roll20 campaign with a macro test.

http://feats.podbean.com/category/strike/

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

We've been playing this for a few sessions, and it's been a pretty positive experience.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
How about: The Gambler has a hand of five cards. When he makes a standard attack he can boost his attack based on the quality of the hand as a poker hand, which forces him to discard and draw a new hand. Or he can discard and redraw as many cards from his hand as he wishes as a Role action.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I think having a character who can use skill to improve their roles is an interesting idea, but if they get good at that game (like card counting, yahtzee strategies, poker strategies, whatever) they can end up with a character who is simply better than other characters. If you wanted the character to be as powerful as any other given class, then you want results which are comparable to a d6, so you'd need things like "This person should, in the long run, over six attacks, do about 4 instances of damage, 3 instances of effects, another instance of damage OR effect, having 2 misses and 1 strike."

And, if that's NOT the case, then either it's a lot of complicated stuff for no real benefit (which isn't inherently bad, I play pointlessly complicated characters sometimes), or the character starts out just flat out worse than everyone else (which probably IS bad, unless you have someone who is just really good in a tactical sense who wants to be slightly hobbled).

Now, having a card hand that's basically a deck of dice rolls is 100% possible, but you have to take into account both "misses" and "misses with strikes." If I can swap cards as a role action, I'm going to use up all my hits and crits, then just swap hands. So, you may want to consider some kind of punishment for redrawing "too much". Redraw too early, and you take strikes. Get lucky and play your cards right, and you might come off clean.

Another thing you could consider is making the gambler more of a status effect guy. Instead of the hand being a hit/miss thing, have the poker hand based on what effect you can play. It'd still be pretty darn complicated, though. And, for glancing blows, they'd have to choose damage or effect BEFORE they looked at their cards: otherwise they can go "Oh, well, I didn't get anything good" and choose damage way too advantageously.

No matter what you do, though, if you're giving a player, effectively, some skill based control of their skills, especially if you can get Really Good Luck or can do multiple rolls for a yahtzee or whatever, you need something balancing that on the punishment end, or it just ends up being a very large, complicated buff.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't know about you but having to wait for one person to play some dumb minigame on their turn doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scyther posted:

I don't know about you but having to wait for one person to play some dumb minigame on their turn doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

Yeah, this was basically the problem with the gambler class in an otherwise decent Final Fantasy game I've played.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, this was basically the problem with the gambler class in an otherwise decent Final Fantasy game I've played.

FFD6? It was flawed but playable and I had fun with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That Bad Karma mechanic shows like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Maybe just a simple Push Your Luck mechanic, where the base damage of the attack is lower than normal, but on a hit they can chose to either stand and keep the damage, or roll to hit and apply damage again, as many times as they want. Missing even once cancels out the whole attack, though, you there's a definite risk/reward.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gambler: what if his die roll relates in some way to what people rolled on THEIR turns? Maybe at the top of the initiative round, he names a number of other players, and must use their die rolls in his roll/some keep some total. They would know this also, which might interact with rerolls and Advantage/Disadvantage. This way he is rolling fewer dice and perhaps taking less time on his turn, choosing a higher number of fixed rolls from other players increases the effect of his power a little.

Tsilkani posted:

Maybe just a simple Push Your Luck mechanic, where the base damage of the attack is lower than normal, but on a hit they can chose to either stand and keep the damage, or roll to hit and apply damage again, as many times as they want. Missing even once cancels out the whole attack, though, you there's a definite risk/reward.

This is definitely the simplest and uses no really new mechanics, but potentially takes the longest.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

FFD6? It was flawed but playable and I had fun with it.

Nah, a system called SeeD that disappeared with the death of wikispaces. It's too bad, because it was fairly good.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, a system called SeeD that disappeared with the death of wikispaces. It's too bad, because it was fairly good.

Sounds seminal.

Sorry.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Sounds seminal.

Sorry.

Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

fool_of_sound posted:

You can still find it if you know where to look.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Maleketh posted:

You can still find it if you know where to look.

Awesome, thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Warlord, Necromancer, Magician
Psion, Rogue, Shapechanger
Bombardier, Archer, Martial Artist,
Summoner, Buddies, Duelist

e: it occurs to me now that people might think I drew that, but I didn't.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Countblanc posted:

Warlord, Necromancer, Magician
Psion, Rogue, Shapechanger
Bombardier, Archer, Martial Artist,
Summoner, Buddies, Duelist

Oh my god. :kimchi:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Gambler powers could all be the kinds of dice shenanigans you saw in older gw games.

Make 2 attacks, but doubles hit you.

The attack has exploding dice but on a 1 you explode and you hurt your friends, simple stuff.

The big problem in my eyes with that is that feels like it should be a very swingy class thematically and that's a pain in the balls for a game that tries for tight encounter balance

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In an effort to keep games moving at a snappy pace, I made some Power cards for my irl game.

Since people are still learning it'll be nice to be able to just pass cards around the table to explain what powers do, and things like keeping a MA's Stance in front of them makes it easier to remember what sort of boons you have at any given time.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

homullus posted:

Gambler: what if his die roll relates in some way to what people rolled on THEIR turns? Maybe at the top of the initiative round, he names a number of other players, and must use their die rolls in his roll/some keep some total. They would know this also, which might interact with rerolls and Advantage/Disadvantage. This way he is rolling fewer dice and perhaps taking less time on his turn, choosing a higher number of fixed rolls from other players increases the effect of his power a little.

This is definitely the simplest and uses no really new mechanics, but potentially takes the longest.

Maybe just have the player say how many times they want to risk it, and roll that many dice? It removes the 'all in or fold' feeling, but it'd be quicker.

Either that or cap the damage based on what type of power it'd be. An At-Will probably shouldn't be higher than 1 damage a roll, with 4-5 the max, going up to 2 damage a roll and 8 the cap when it improves. Encounters and Dailys could be more potent, or at least reliable, since they'd be a lot swingier, although that would lead to the issue of people abusing the push since there's no downside to loss.

You could also roll 3 dice, slots-style, with a preset list of combinations. One for a mix of successes and failures, one for all successes, one for all failures, and maybe something extra for bonuses. As long as you can fit it on a reference card, It'd be a good at-will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Countblanc posted:

In an effort to keep games moving at a snappy pace, I made some Power cards for my irl game.

Since people are still learning it'll be nice to be able to just pass cards around the table to explain what powers do, and things like keeping a MA's Stance in front of them makes it easier to remember what sort of boons you have at any given time.
I would be grateful for the files. I considered doing it myself but couldn't find the time.