Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Here you go. Unfortunately it's just the ones you see there, I haven't made them for every class yet because, well, that's a bit daunting!

http://imgur.com/a/NZMqi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
Could you share the editable files, whatever you used to make those pics?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I could not, as they don't exist. I made them when I was on my laptop over break and had no real tool available so I literally just painted over the cards in the appropriate places in paint.net and added text. I can probably make an editable sheet tomorrow though.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Countblanc posted:

I could not, as they don't exist. I made them when I was on my laptop over break and had no real tool available so I literally just painted over the cards in the appropriate places in paint.net and added text. I can probably make an editable sheet tomorrow though.
I'm not going to ask you do to it for my sake when I'm not even certain I'll end up using them. Thank you for sharing what you have.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If Count or someone whips up a spreadsheet template or whatever of an appropriate size to fit an appropriate number of cards on each printed page, and establishes a format for everyone to follow, we can spread the classes and roles out among us so no one person has to trudge through the whole thing. Presto, a complete card set in no time.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 9, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah that sounds good, I don't mind whipping up a template for that. I'd like to get Jim's permission first though - We'd effectively be making everything except Feats and Class Features available which he might not be comfortable with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Doublepost but w/e, Ferrinus sent me the finished art for The Psion this morning. Enjoy this sneak preview ;-)

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 9, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
What's with the cat?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It knows what it did.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yeah that sounds good, I don't mind whipping up a template for that. I'd like to get Jim's permission first though - We'd effectively be making everything except Feats and Class Features available which he might not be comfortable with.

Good point. I don't know much about DriveThruRPG but is there a way to offer something up as a free supplement or extra only to people who've bought the book?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I know when I bought A game a while ago, there was a PDF with it that was a separate file, I can't imagine it would be too hard to include the cards as a bonus in the next released supplement?

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Countblanc posted:

Doublepost but w/e, Ferrinus sent me the finished art for The Psion this morning. Enjoy this sneak preview ;-)

Love it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Scyther posted:

Good point. I don't know much about DriveThruRPG but is there a way to offer something up as a free supplement or extra only to people who've bought the book?

Yes, I believe that is a thing I can do.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Just realized that my last post was perhaps too brief. It is not just a thing I believe is possible, but also a thing I will happily do if you folks were to put them together. That would be awesome!

Putting a bit of thought into it, that would allow me to deliver pregenerated characters for adventures as essentially a small deck of cards, which is pretty cool. One card for non-combat stuff, class features/feats on another, then power cards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All right, I know that Jimbozig is working on a new Rogue class and I'm not involved in the playtesting thereof but it got me thinking about some stuff. So there's one thing I've noticed that a lot of RPGs handle poorly or not at all and that's in-combat stealth. If you want to be sneaky out of a fight it's like, okay, roll your sneak skill, beat a number, basic stuff. But as soon as you get into combat things start going to poo poo. D&D4E eventually hammered out some combat stealth rules that function, but they're kind of awkwardly worded and clunky. D&D Next's stealth rules are somehow even more obtuse. And that's not counting games like Shadowrun where you can have all the active camouflage cybersuits you want but once a firefight breaks out then they're just a fancy set of duds.

And it's weird and sometimes a little annoying because it seems like virtually every person who plays a sneaky character in an RPG really wants to be able to leverage that in combat. They want to be Batman swooping out of the shadows, they want to be a ninja pulling off stealth-kills in a more interesting sense than "flank a guy, get a bonus" or dealing with an extremely tedious checklist of "is it too light and/or too dark to backstab someone y/n" conditionals to be able to do that cool thing in their head.

That got me thinking about how to structure a class whose big central gimmick is stealth. In most stealth-oriented games the tempo largely boils down to large patches of waiting patiently punctuated by short, sharp bursts of payoff, and the thing is that in a game like Strike!...or pretty much any tabletop RPG, really...you don't want long patches of waiting patiently because that kills the flow of the game, at least for that player. Back in 4E's heyday they made an Assassin class whose gimmick was building up Shrouds 1/round which they could save up to a maximum of 4, and could spend at any point to add extra damage dice to their attacks. This was ostensibly supposed to give players the feeling of being a calculating killer waiting for the opportune moment to strike before unleashing a deadly blow, but in practice the Shroud mechanic was a ball and chain around the Assassin's ankle. The Assassin is forced to either live with sub-par damage compared to other Striker classes while building up his one huge strike or simply spend Shrouds in 1's and 2's to try and achieve parity with Rogues whose Sneak Attack was much easier to pull off consistently and reliably, but even if you did somehow patiently build up all four of your Shrouds by the time you managed that there was a pretty good chance that the fight would be all over but the crying at that point, which meant that your super-awesome attack you built up over four turns was going to be used on a half-dead monster whose threat has already passed (and that's if your friends didn't kill your chosen target before you got to use it because Shrouds were affixed to the target in question and the OAssassin is just kind of a mess coming and going).

But 4E also has another thing that I think might work better for this sort of concept, not a class but in the Monster Manual. The Lurker is a category of monster along with things like Soldiers and Brutes, and its gimmick is that it's a monster that works using an on/off cycle. Every other round a Lurker goes into a sort of "charging" mode where it doesn't attack much if at all but becomes much harder to hit or damage...it could turn invisible, burrow beneath the ground, harden its body into a stone statue, whatever...and then when it leaves that mode it gets huge bonuses to its attacks but becomes briefly vulnerable. Mathematically Lurkers generally didn't do much more damage over two turns of lurking and then striking than a normal enemy would do simply attacking twice over two rounds, but they were an interesting component of 4E's "puzzle monster" setup, forcing characters to decide whether it was worth ignoring a lurker in its charging phase in favor of trying to bring down other monsters, knowing that the next round the Lurker was going to lay a serious chunk of spike damage down on someone.

So what if you flipped that around and instead of a monster doing that sort of thing it's a PC, one that operates on a dual cycle of "stealthed" and "popping out to murder someone?" You have less downtime than something like the OAssassin and like the Lurker you can tune higher instances of individual spike damage against damage-over-time so that players still get the satisfaction of doing woah mega-damage without leaving the other classes, especially those geared towards damage-dealing, feeling like they're being outshone. Do you (Jimbozig and everyone else in the thread too) think there's any merit to a class like this in Strike!?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's a fine idea, and not unlike one of the two other classes I've been brainstorming lately. The idea was based loosely off FFXIV's Black Mage mechanic, where you'd spend the fight switching between light damage + high mana regen periods and huge damage + low mana regen periods. Mechanically it could easily work as a psuedo-stealth, but I think it needs some sort of active mechanic during the "off" turns to really work in Strike without being boring or annoying at the table. So instead of simply staying cloaked or hidden, you had to in some way engage with the enemy or use some other trick (possibly Class Feature dependent) to power up and then dump your stuff the following round or possibly two rounds later.

The other benefit here is that it lets you have powers like the Magician's Major spells. Those only work for the Magician because they're gated behind mechanics, but there's no reason another class couldn't have similarly encounter-shaping abilities locked behind other things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Right, the very first conclusion I came to is that you can't just have a class with dead turns, a stealth class shouldnt be spending half their time doing nothing but going "I turn invisible, next player." What I'd initially thought was that going into stealth mode would, as you say, have active components like panicking and/or debuffing enemies, not really doing damage per se even though hit points are and should be abstract.

My next thought is that you shouldn't be able to keep your stealth going for more than one turn to help prevent someone from just sort of staying hunkered down for whatever reason until whoops, fight's over. You decloak at the start of your next turn whether you want to or not and have to wait until the turn after to recloak again (possibly barring certain encounter abilities which let you do so earlier maybe), the hope for which is that it pushes the player towards a rhythm of vanishing from sight followed by sudden stealth ambushes before vanishing again instead of just dinking around while invisible, and it adds a tactical element where you know that you're going to have these brief periods of vulnerability so you need to plan accordingly.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It looks like most or even all of the necessary mechanics for a Lurker class are already present in Strike.

Being concealed imposes Disadvantage on attacks against the target with all range types except Burst and the Warlord's Support Tokens provide a framework that could be used for the burst damage part of the Lurker. So an Attack Action power that conceals the user and gives them an Ambush Token (as well as, say, Resist 2) until the start of their next turn would cover the defensive parts of the downtime turns.

Then a class feature could provide another Ambush Token until the start of next turn whenever the Lurker uses Assess (or a similar Role Action power granted by the class for variety's sake). They could then spend two Ambush Tokens before an attack to double all damage (and Strikes) for the burst aspect of uptime turns.

If you want to make the class more vulnerable than others during uptime turns, you could even have a class feature that either imposes Vulnerable 1 while not concealed or simply reduces total HP like an individual member of the Buddies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to impose additional vulnerability beyond "you are briefly no longer concealed and have to risk taking your lumps like everyone else," but you've got some good ideas there wrt tokens and the like, that's an angle I hadn't considered.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I don't know. Being able to have easy access to disadvantage on all non-aoe attacks against you half of the time seems like it's worth a drawback, maybe just something like starting with 8 HP? Or maybe a variable drawback based on class features.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I was in a group with Jimbo when we did a bit of Strike!. I think this is the one where I accidentally crashed a roll20 campaign with a macro test.

http://feats.podbean.com/category/strike/

Thanks for the links, this was very helpful :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Remember that the Role system exists; Having a defender with Disadvantage to hit them half the time with no drawback could get pretty silly, and then remember you could have multiple defenders all marking the same thing. I know the idea is for the class to represent an assassin and thus we sort of fill on the blanks mentally with them being a Striker, but the potential is there. A Tortoise form Shapechanger could hunker down like that, but they aren't getting the benefit of also spiking damage that makes up for the down turns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Remember that the Role system exists; Having a defender with Disadvantage to hit them half the time with no drawback could get pretty silly, and then remember you could have multiple defenders all marking the same thing. I know the idea is for the class to represent an assassin and thus we sort of fill on the blanks mentally with them being a Striker, but the potential is there. A Tortoise form Shapechanger could hunker down like that, but they aren't getting the benefit of also spiking damage that makes up for the down turns.

Actually the very first thing I thought about when I was considering whether a class like this could work is "does this make being a Defender too good?" And the answer is, I don't know. It might, but as you point out there could be drawbacks to leveraging this sort of class' defensive bonuses while ignoring its offense.

With Strike characters only ever having 10 HP my concern with lowering that amount any is that it might unduly raise the chances of that character getting caught in a vicious cycle of reappearing and then getting absolutely pasted to the point where they constantly need healing (or worse, get one-shotted more than is fun). Buddies does it, but Buddies also gives you a 5 HP pet to take some hits for you so it kind of evens out.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Maybe make it so marking has no effect while hidden, or alternately make it so you could do some extra damage (on top of the Defender extra) for Opportunities, at the cost of revealing you. Sure, this means you could make a killer counterattacker, but it would be at the cost of taking actual actions on your turn. (In fact, that could be the intent of one of the class features: reactive surprise attacks.)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Have you considered if this whole concept would work better as a role?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scyther posted:

I think Ferrinus once said that a charge up/cool down role could definitely work, though I contest as a designer it's more appealing to think of it as a class because of the aforementioned Magician-style big powers. You just wanna make those, y'know? Still, alternate Roles are interesting and the vehicles supplement shows there's design space for it.

e: I'm gonna be busy the next few days, but I can have a template up for power cards by the end of the week. If someone wants to make one before then by all means - I'm not really much for graphic design anyway.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 10, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

I hadn't actually. I agree with Countblanc on both counts. I think there's definite room in there for alternate roles and a charge up role could be a fun one, and Lurker is in fact a role of sorts in 4E albeit one that's reserved for monsters, but on the other hand I think there's something to be said for the appeal of having a Sneaky Class all on its own.

So this is more than just a pointless exercise in theory I'll actually try to draw up some kind of outline in a few days, see if I can't get any of my ideas down on paper. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time in Strike! that a concept ends up being used to define both a class and a role.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Hell yeah, it's Warlord/Leader all over again. Make a Sneaky class and a Sneaky role, tuck all the stuff that would break in certain role combinations into the role, and vice versa.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yesterday in strike.

I (Lewellyn, secret elf prince) with a single hit point remaining, and both of my allies already down, ran up the back of a dying dragon (slow poison) and punched out my arc boss evil twin, in a molten crater outside of the walls of a burning city.

It was a pretty good game of strike.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
What about using this site to generate cards?
http://crobi.github.io/rpg-cards/generator/generate.html

I did a short sample json for the first 9 Necormancer powers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kVRNcLOnTtOWFoYUxrWmVnREk/view?usp=sharing

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Yesterday in strike.

I (Lewellyn, secret elf prince) with a single hit point remaining, and both of my allies already down, ran up the back of a dying dragon (slow poison) and punched out my arc boss evil twin, in a molten crater outside of the walls of a burning city.

That's awesome! It's not often that you get a fight that really comes down to the wire and one final roll, but when you do, it's so sweet.

Edit: Hey, this person is looking for players for a Strike! PBP with a Star Wars setting. Just thought someone reading here might be interested.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

ShineDog posted:

Yesterday in strike.

Speaking as one of the downed allies, it was the most metal thing I've ever seen in an RPG. We quite often tend to go down to the wire in this game- it's not the only time it's been just one of us left on their feet- but it makes it really dramatic and neat.

I also adore the skills system, over 8 levels we've collected a very eclectic set of skills including "Matrix dodge", "diving out of the way of cannonballs" and "RULES OF NATURE" (used for running up a giant's back and stabbing it in the neck). It's been a hell of a lot of fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

So I am SOOOOO glad I just decided to sit down by myself and playtest this adventure's boss battle on my own (in the group playtest of the adventure I did, we didn't end up playing the boss battle because we all wanted to go to bed). One thing about it was super broken, and now it's going to be fixed. Hooray for testing! Now the battle is still nasty hard, but not completely ridiculous.

Controlling 4 characters by myself, plus a titan and its allies, while keeping everything straight without having power cards and poo poo is REALLY HARD. Like, harder than Mage Knight, and I always forget poo poo in Mage Knight.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

:siren: Hooray, the adventure is done!

I just sent out discount codes to Kickstarter and Patreon backers. The rest of you can get it here as soon as it gets approved by drivethru. (You need to wait because some jerk published a rape book without even putting an adult tag on it and now they need to screen things.)

If you want to get all the mini-expansions as soon as they are released with no waiting, you should support me on patreon.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Jimbozig posted:

If you want to get all the mini-expansions as soon as they are released with no waiting, you should support me on patreon.
Done. I don't suppose it's retroactive?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

How good is Strike at dealing with a more ranged-favorable setting like most scifi? It seems like a lot of different classes hinge pretty heavily on melee combat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Signal posted:

How good is Strike at dealing with a more ranged-favorable setting like most scifi? It seems like a lot of different classes hinge pretty heavily on melee combat.

The Exposed optional rule allows for that, though you might give all melee classes the Sprinter feat for free to help balance them with Ranged classes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Turing sex machine posted:

Done. I don't suppose it's retroactive?

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

I just signed up this morning :v: