Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!
Sweet! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Gerdalti posted:

What about using this site to generate cards?
http://crobi.github.io/rpg-cards/generator/generate.html

I did a short sample json for the first 9 Necormancer powers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kVRNcLOnTtOWFoYUxrWmVnREk/view?usp=sharing

This is a great resource! I was just thinking, would it be possible to agree on unified symbols for the cards in accordance with the type of action? That is, using one type of symbol for Attacks, one for Move actions, one for Role actions, one for Free actions and so on? That'd free up some space for rules text and, also, maybe look kind of neat?

Another thing I started thinking about last night, the coolest thing would be if there was an online monster database for Strike! where people could post their homebrew monsters. I know I could definitely share the stupid big dog Cerberus I've cooked up and I'm sure others have also made some interesting monsters that they could share with others.

Edit: I took a stab at making power cards for the Magician's first-level at-will and encounter powers. They're color-coded like powers in the rulebook, so green means at-will, purple means encounter, and the symbol at the top-right corner is representative of the type of action needed. Might take a stab at one of the Roles to figure out a way to write up role powers. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J-AFEOoRsaTHk3ZDZVTFZwdVk/view?usp=sharing

One issue I noticed immediately after starting work on the Role powers: there needs to be some way to distinguish between Interrupts and Reactions. At this point I'll just make it a subtitle before the effects of the card, but for the sake of consistency I might write down the usage and action information on the cards anyway instead of just relying on symbols. I took another pass at them using the layout you used and I think it's much better now. The only problem was with getting all the Effect lines from Offensive Amalgam to fit in, and I know some of the Martial Artist's Stances will probably cause similar problems if the text is copypasted with all the commentary included.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!
Just signed up now, on my Personal Business e-mail of josephaaronheller(at)gmail(dot)com

Edit On that note, I think I might seriously consider running a ranged-focused Strike game. Exposed + Sprinter seems like it'd be enough to float the idea, see what happens.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 14, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Feel free to use the Exposed rules, but I wanted to chime in and say that people are sort of implying you must use them for a ranged campaign; That absolutely is not the case. The exposed rules exist to emphasize cover and make combat faster (and perhaps streakier), so if those are the things you want by all means, but not every ranged trope involves hiding behind cover.

As for the power cards, if Jim plans on making them an official thing you get when you purchase the game, I'm hesitant to use a card builder out something like that. I don't really know the legality of such a thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Feel free to use the Exposed rules, but I wanted to chime in and say that people are sort of implying you must use them for a ranged campaign; That absolutely is not the case. The exposed rules exist to emphasize cover and make combat faster (and perhaps streakier), so if those are the things you want by all means, but not every ranged trope involves hiding behind cover.
It actually is, since I seriously love Shadowrun as a setting, but hate the kludgy of it. (It's gonna be a Shadowrun game. :ssh:)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
after I play XCOM 2 all day everyday through february I might start on a hack to make Strike! into an unofficial XCOM rpg. Especially in countering an alien controlled government Strike's rules would be perfect. It could easily be run as a purely confrontational campaign.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Impermanent posted:

after I play XCOM 2 all day everyday through february I might start on a hack to make Strike! into an unofficial XCOM rpg. Especially in countering an alien controlled government Strike's rules would be perfect. It could easily be run as a purely confrontational campaign.

Not only would I be interested in a game like that, me and some people are currently working on an X-Com Strike! game, with a few houserules representing X-Com classes, MECs, Psychics, and so on and so forth. If it gets off the ground (shouldn't be too much longer), we're planning on recording it. I could link it here. Then, when that game is done, you can invite me to your game because I love the Exposed houserule.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dammit, now I wanna run X-Com Strike, too, as a PBP.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dammit, now I wanna run X-Com Strike, too, as a PBP.

Just Do It.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
One of Jim's test games I did with him was basically X-Com: Toronto and was pretty cool. I think my character was also one of the first things that exposed the issues with, err, Exposed, and melee.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
PbPs are boring, live games gogogo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

PbPs are boring, live games gogogo.
I have an unreliable work schedule.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I'm in with the Patreon pledging.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

One of Jim's test games I did with him was basically X-Com: Toronto and was pretty cool. I think my character was also one of the first things that exposed the issues with, err, Exposed, and melee.

Yeah, I think my takeaway from Sieben is that letting a character ignore being exposed through a feat or whatever can break things especially if they are a defender who likes sucking up attacks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I always figured that if anyone was immune to the negative aspect of the Exposed rules they should also not be allowed to benefit from the Exposed rules by dealing extra damage, but at that point you start wondering what the point of the rules is.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, I think my takeaway from Sieben is that letting a character ignore being exposed through a feat or whatever can break things especially if they are a defender who likes sucking up attacks.

What was this feat? How did it work? Was it "Take this feat and you are no longer considered exposed?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What was this feat? How did it work? Was it "Take this feat and you are no longer considered exposed?"

iirc creatures bigger than 1x1 got to ignore exposed, so taking the Huge feat let you ignore it. This was also before Huge gave +3 HP.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
One of the things that we're trying in our X-Com game is stuff like "With this feat, you can use 2 squares of movement to gain low cover. Sacrificing your move action gives you full cover." and "You gain cover after ending your move action. Firing your weapon causes you to lose this cover." (We also have some specialized rule for melee and charging, but a lot of this we're still tweaking).

So, in the first case, you have on-demand cover, but you're either moving at a reduced speed, or not moving. Burning your move action also means things like the Archer(Sniper) "Use your move action to guarantee a 6 if you hit" have to be sacrificed, so it's not all fun and games for long ranged people. Melee characters are put into the position of on-demand cover, yes, but they better have someone helping them pen the baddie in or, you know, they'll just lightly jog away and never be in melee range.

In the second case, sure, you have cover, but if you move your full movement then fire, you can be exposed. If you fire, move your speed (and thus have cover) but then use a ranged mark penalty, archer snapshot, or whatever, you lose your special cover and become exposed. In both cases, they're probably going to prefer natural cover to feat-based cover, but have the option to make a sacrifice for safety.

I think feats that can grant cover or remove exposure can work, but they have to involve some kind of sacrifice.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have an unreliable work schedule.

Hello unreliable work schedule buddy, if you do this I would be interested.

In other news, making a new Strike! class isn't easy. That's not to say I expected it would be, but it's a tricky act to try and make something that's distinct enough to stand on its own while also bearing in mind the ways the various roles can influence the same class.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I think feats that can grant cover or remove exposure can work, but they have to involve some kind of sacrifice.
Yes, this. It is too strong without some sacrifice. I'm interested to see how the paying move points idea works for you guys.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, one player is 2x2 and we DON'T use "no exposure if you're 2x2" and is waiting until next level to take the cyborg version cover feat. So, uh, we'll see how that goes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I like the idea of some powers being built around the exposed variant for ranged combat thematics.

Chow yun fats dramatic dive.
Encounter power
Shift 3 squares, make a ranged basic attack, and ignore exposed until eoynt.

In action movies a consistent way to handle exposure is to leap through the air heroically but because it's a bolt on option it's not really factored in to skills.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Exposed rules always seemed cool but I felt like there was so much melee stuff in the game that's also really cool you'd cut out (I'm aware you can fiddle with the scale a bit but it ended up feeling weird to me).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not sure it's possible to make a system that can go from medieval-style battles to "if you're in the open you're dead"-style WW2 battles with just one rule change. It might be better to have two separate rule-sets for melee-heavy and ranged-heavy settings.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Since the game is so reskin heavy, I don't see anything wrong with saying "melee" powers are pistols at short range of whatever. Let's you have a high action, cinematic ranged focus game without sacrificing any options or dealing with any of Exposed's potential issues. Still use Exposed if you want something more dangerous out of ranged.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Loki_XLII posted:

Since the game is so reskin heavy, I don't see anything wrong with saying "melee" powers are pistols at short range of whatever. Let's you have a high action, cinematic ranged focus game without sacrificing any options or dealing with any of Exposed's potential issues. Still use Exposed if you want something more dangerous out of ranged.

Especially if you're doing an XCOM-style game, where melee could be an alloy cannon pointed directly in someone's face.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, when it comes to classes, there's only a couple you'd have to tweak to get into a reasonable ranged fight.

Necromancer, Archer, Warlord, Magician, Bombardier, and Buddies can be played completely ranged with no changes.

Duelist has some ranged abilities, but not many.
Martial Artists are pure melee.
Dedicated shapeshifters can gain ranged-five attacks after their second encounter usage, starting at level 3. Non-dedicated shapeshifters are melee.
Summoners are KINDA ranged, but you can say they have like melee spider bots.

If you really want to focus on ranged combat with the exposure rule, something you could consider is like "Ranged attacks have +3 range. Melee attacks can also be used at range 5" for a quick and dirty fix. For a more class focused thing...

Duelist "Aint No One Else Around" needs to stay melee, or could be rewritten as "Effect: 3 damage if you are the closest creature to the enemy." "Let's Take This Outside" is... well, kinda a mess, in my opinion, but I don't think it's make things weirder if it was ranged 5. "Where you go, I follow" could be "shift up to your speed +4, ending in a square within 5 squares of the target."

Martial Artist at Just Range 5 is workable, but the Python line could be a problem: grabbing someone at range 5 out of cover is A LITTLE RIDICULOUS. On the other hand, if grabbing at range 5 also prevents you from moving, then it does leave the Martial Artist open to flanking. Be ready to punish anyone who grabs an enemy and basically immobilizes him or herself.

Dedicated shapeshifters, you could again probably just toss Ranged 5 on them, as the idea of being in the Form of the Kraken with range 5 is built into the class. And if dedicated shapeshifters can do it, I don't think it'd break much to have non-dedicated shapeshifters with range 5. You may consider changing a transformation bonus for Dedicateds to "Increase your range to 10" or something.

I would actually recommend against giving summoner creatures range 5, because I think having a summoner, an angel/devil, an elemental/fae and a greater summon all with range 10 or 5 would just cover way too much ground. I really don't know what to think, here.

With Buddies, you might consider just giving them Ranged 5. Then they pick 2 more bonuses.

What my group is doing is, instead of giving everyone ranged attacks, we're making melee attacks a bit special. If the character or creature isn't a Melee Creature, then they basically suck at melee. We have rules for fighting at point-blank at melee, and rules for melee training. A character or creature with melee training will crush a person without melee training at point blank range. We're also working on systems where it's not incredibly easy to be in the position of "Right next to a guy, oh and also I'm not exposed and they are." If this works out well enough, I'll ask the DM if we can post his version of house rules

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Let's take this outside is basically just impossible to reskin to any non-fantastic setting. I thought about cutting it but in the end I decided I just like it so it gets to stay.

Also, my next major project is going to be a not-XCOM version with classes and stuff to suit that type of setting. Working title: UFO Strike! That will definitely be designed to work with Exposed with a lot fewer melee powers. I think Exposed will still be optional, although it might be the default option. I'll probably have time to get that done in the summer, although I've already started the preliminary work.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, I didn't mean CUT it, I just think it's a very strange power.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Let's Take This Outside is actually fine in any game that emulates cinematic action - it's just you and one other guy getting a spotlight on your fight that no one else can interfere with. Frame it as a narrative power with tactical effects and you're fine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Take This Outside is really easy for me to visualize, because my one true love Ragnarok Online had a Rogue power that did exactly that (teleported you and your target to a random section of the map).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apparently there's a group who recorded, like, a whole shitton of Strike! games online. I'm gonna add this to the OP, and the rules aren't EXACTLY right (it's starting from the version available last April), but for people interested in the system or who want to learn about how it plays in practice, it's an option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWQyFz0D_o

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm curious about the wealth rules. Would it be workable to expand it out to more than just four levels? I ask 'cause I'm batting around the idea of using Strike! to run XCrawl, where getting loot and prizes is a major part of the game and I wouldn't want the PCs to climb to super-rich too quickly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Selachian posted:

I'm curious about the wealth rules. Would it be workable to expand it out to more than just four levels? I ask 'cause I'm batting around the idea of using Strike! to run XCrawl, where getting loot and prizes is a major part of the game and I wouldn't want the PCs to climb to super-rich too quickly.

Make them all start out as poor, and let them find cash tokens they can expend to boost their wealth levels. You'll still need to come up with things to spend it on, of course.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey Nerds, Somethingawful Forums Poster Serf is doing a Star Wars Strike! game. He says he'd consider using the Exposure houserule if people are down with it. It's going to be PROBABLY on weekdays, 7:00 eastern, with roll20/skype. Most likely around 7:00 Eastern, but time is probably going to be negotiable. Check it out, it involves plundering a death star.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760414

Serf
May 5, 2011

I totally forgot post about the game in the thread. Thanks Gharbad!

Anyways, Exposed is a cool rule that I would be down for using in a game of Strike. I just have a few thoughts about it.

Star Wars isn't exactly a gritty or highly deadly universe, but the shootouts do usually involve both sides taking cover and trading blaster fire, which makes me lean towards the rule as it does seem appropriate. However I have 2 ideas that I'd like to use to give it a more Star Wars feel.

-Stooges and Goons do not get to use the Exposed rule. When stormtroopers are shooting at main characters (which the players certainly would be) they have pretty crappy aim, so I feel like this could be reflected by not giving cannon fodder access to Advantage on exposed targets.
-Adding in gear that could be used in combat to give cover, like a Portable Defense Screen consumable that would create low cover wherever it is dropped.

I'm also considering not letting Exposed apply to melee attacks, but I'm still thinking that one over.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, cover is still good, even if you don't have the Exposed houserule. You can still do a cover based shooter gunfight. It's just, if you shoot through cover, you're more likely to miss.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

You can still take cover without using Exposed, though. Taking cover is a good idea even in the default rules! Using Exposed means that if you don't take cover, you get wrecked.

That's not really what I associate with Star Wars. But melee attacks (lightsabers) do tend to wreck people who are not themselves wielding lightsabers to defend with.

I'm not saying don't use it, but I am saying that there's a reason it's in the optional rules section instead of in the main text.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
man I want to buy a physical copy of Strike, but buying anything physical from Drivethrustuff is just plain awful, you have to pay a stupidly overpriced amount if you don't want to have to wait potentially almost a month to get what you ordered, really wish you had this available on Lulu or Amazon as well, cause at least you can get a halfway decent shipping rate from them

also is there any difference between the two files you get when you buy the book digitally(Strike.pdf, and Strike_Digital.pdf), cause I'll admit I'm kinda confused about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

As far as I can tell, Strike_Digital.pdf is the one with bookmarks. :shobon: