Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If you are playing an Archer/Controller, and you use Area Denial while rolling a 3-6, you can slide a creature. Is your area denial effect (the 3x3 zone centered on the target) based around their new position, their old position, or can you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Uh, nobody would happen to be playing a game using the "Exposed" houserule, would they? I'm gonna get to play one, but I don't know how long it'll last.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

homullus posted:

You can do far worse than a Yacht-style roll some/keep some, e.g.:

Three of a kind: D or E
Most other valid Yacht combos: D and E
Large Straight: Critical

5 of a kind: Critical + something (varying by class power or character level, or supplying a game currency)

Ignoring that a good way to do a gambling thing would be to, like, roll a d6 (there will be a summary table at the bottom)

Well, to keep that anywhere near balanced, you'd have to break down percentages. It comes up with some weird results. Let's take a simplified version of Yahtzee: you get one roll. All you do is check to see how many dice are the same value, and you pick the highest. So, worst outcome is none are the same (or "1"), then 2 are the same, then 3 are the same, four of a kind, five of a kind. Oh, and a full house. So, highly simplified.

Well, the chance of missing and getting a strike with a d6 is 1/6. So, that's about 16.7% chance of happening (Missing at all is 33.3%) A glancing hit is 16.7%. A solid hit is 33.3%. And a crit is 16.7%.

So, basically, we need 4 outcomes that are about 16.7% chance of happening, and 1 outcome that's about 33.3% chance of happening. Let's start with A General Hit.

The closest I got was just above 32%, so if you roll a yahtzee, get no matches, or two pair, you hit normally. The next closest thing is about 17%. Let's be nice and assign that to a crit. So, if you get 3 of a kind or 4 of a kind, you crit.

Now, we're left with full house and single pair for the just-over 50% to handle missing/strike, missing, and a glancing hit. Unfortunately, you're much more likely to roll a pair than get a full house, so we need to do a second roll. However, now we can shoot for 33/33/33, because each of those, originally, had a 1/6th chance, and so are equally probable. We already know one combination that produces a 32%, so let's assign that to glancing hit. But, there's no way to assign any other combination of rolls that'll produce 33%. SO, we need to roll AGAIN. BUT! There's about a 50% chance to roll a full house OR a single pair!

So, to have about the proper percentages, we need the following table:

Equivalent Die Roll : Actions to get that roll

6: Three or four of a kind on the first roll.
5 or 4: Yahtzee, no matches, or two pair on the first roll.
3: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by a Yahtzee, no matches, or two pair on the second roll.
2: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by NOT rolling a yahtzee, no matches or two pair on the second roll, followed by rolling a full house or a single pair on the third roll.
1: Full house or single pair on the first roll, followed by NOT rolling a yahtzee, no matches or two pair on the second roll, followed by rolling something other than a full house or single pair on the third roll.

We haven't even included choice in these rolls, though. But, at that point, you really need to develop a personal distribution table of points that a person will get while trying their best to make the best score, which again would probably be best reflected by trying to force matching behavior. Good luck figuring out the probability that a person will go from trying to get a full house to trying to get a straight between the second and third rolls.

Now, what I think would be cool is to develop a slot machine. Just code it so that 1/6 of the time, you get 7/7/7 or bar/bar/bar, then have a payout table that happens to perfectly reflect a D6, and just not tell them. That seems like a lot of work, though.

edit: Huh, I must have a lot of free time.

Now that I think about it, clearly you should swap 2 and 5, so that your third roll is a check to see if you Miss and gain a strike or CRITICALLY HIT

Note: the chance of getting a yahtzee on a single roll is pretty small, so if you wanted to say "if you get a yahtzee, this good thing happens" it wouldn't mess anything up.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

IT BEGINS posted:

Are there any recorded sessions of Strike! online? I'd love to show my group how this game works as they are really reluctant to play anything aside from D&D without some serious convincing first.

I was in a group with Jimbo when we did a bit of Strike!. I think this is the one where I accidentally crashed a roll20 campaign with a macro test.

http://feats.podbean.com/category/strike/

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I think having a character who can use skill to improve their roles is an interesting idea, but if they get good at that game (like card counting, yahtzee strategies, poker strategies, whatever) they can end up with a character who is simply better than other characters. If you wanted the character to be as powerful as any other given class, then you want results which are comparable to a d6, so you'd need things like "This person should, in the long run, over six attacks, do about 4 instances of damage, 3 instances of effects, another instance of damage OR effect, having 2 misses and 1 strike."

And, if that's NOT the case, then either it's a lot of complicated stuff for no real benefit (which isn't inherently bad, I play pointlessly complicated characters sometimes), or the character starts out just flat out worse than everyone else (which probably IS bad, unless you have someone who is just really good in a tactical sense who wants to be slightly hobbled).

Now, having a card hand that's basically a deck of dice rolls is 100% possible, but you have to take into account both "misses" and "misses with strikes." If I can swap cards as a role action, I'm going to use up all my hits and crits, then just swap hands. So, you may want to consider some kind of punishment for redrawing "too much". Redraw too early, and you take strikes. Get lucky and play your cards right, and you might come off clean.

Another thing you could consider is making the gambler more of a status effect guy. Instead of the hand being a hit/miss thing, have the poker hand based on what effect you can play. It'd still be pretty darn complicated, though. And, for glancing blows, they'd have to choose damage or effect BEFORE they looked at their cards: otherwise they can go "Oh, well, I didn't get anything good" and choose damage way too advantageously.

No matter what you do, though, if you're giving a player, effectively, some skill based control of their skills, especially if you can get Really Good Luck or can do multiple rolls for a yahtzee or whatever, you need something balancing that on the punishment end, or it just ends up being a very large, complicated buff.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Impermanent posted:

after I play XCOM 2 all day everyday through february I might start on a hack to make Strike! into an unofficial XCOM rpg. Especially in countering an alien controlled government Strike's rules would be perfect. It could easily be run as a purely confrontational campaign.

Not only would I be interested in a game like that, me and some people are currently working on an X-Com Strike! game, with a few houserules representing X-Com classes, MECs, Psychics, and so on and so forth. If it gets off the ground (shouldn't be too much longer), we're planning on recording it. I could link it here. Then, when that game is done, you can invite me to your game because I love the Exposed houserule.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
PbPs are boring, live games gogogo.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, I think my takeaway from Sieben is that letting a character ignore being exposed through a feat or whatever can break things especially if they are a defender who likes sucking up attacks.

What was this feat? How did it work? Was it "Take this feat and you are no longer considered exposed?"

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
One of the things that we're trying in our X-Com game is stuff like "With this feat, you can use 2 squares of movement to gain low cover. Sacrificing your move action gives you full cover." and "You gain cover after ending your move action. Firing your weapon causes you to lose this cover." (We also have some specialized rule for melee and charging, but a lot of this we're still tweaking).

So, in the first case, you have on-demand cover, but you're either moving at a reduced speed, or not moving. Burning your move action also means things like the Archer(Sniper) "Use your move action to guarantee a 6 if you hit" have to be sacrificed, so it's not all fun and games for long ranged people. Melee characters are put into the position of on-demand cover, yes, but they better have someone helping them pen the baddie in or, you know, they'll just lightly jog away and never be in melee range.

In the second case, sure, you have cover, but if you move your full movement then fire, you can be exposed. If you fire, move your speed (and thus have cover) but then use a ranged mark penalty, archer snapshot, or whatever, you lose your special cover and become exposed. In both cases, they're probably going to prefer natural cover to feat-based cover, but have the option to make a sacrifice for safety.

I think feats that can grant cover or remove exposure can work, but they have to involve some kind of sacrifice.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, one player is 2x2 and we DON'T use "no exposure if you're 2x2" and is waiting until next level to take the cyborg version cover feat. So, uh, we'll see how that goes.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, when it comes to classes, there's only a couple you'd have to tweak to get into a reasonable ranged fight.

Necromancer, Archer, Warlord, Magician, Bombardier, and Buddies can be played completely ranged with no changes.

Duelist has some ranged abilities, but not many.
Martial Artists are pure melee.
Dedicated shapeshifters can gain ranged-five attacks after their second encounter usage, starting at level 3. Non-dedicated shapeshifters are melee.
Summoners are KINDA ranged, but you can say they have like melee spider bots.

If you really want to focus on ranged combat with the exposure rule, something you could consider is like "Ranged attacks have +3 range. Melee attacks can also be used at range 5" for a quick and dirty fix. For a more class focused thing...

Duelist "Aint No One Else Around" needs to stay melee, or could be rewritten as "Effect: 3 damage if you are the closest creature to the enemy." "Let's Take This Outside" is... well, kinda a mess, in my opinion, but I don't think it's make things weirder if it was ranged 5. "Where you go, I follow" could be "shift up to your speed +4, ending in a square within 5 squares of the target."

Martial Artist at Just Range 5 is workable, but the Python line could be a problem: grabbing someone at range 5 out of cover is A LITTLE RIDICULOUS. On the other hand, if grabbing at range 5 also prevents you from moving, then it does leave the Martial Artist open to flanking. Be ready to punish anyone who grabs an enemy and basically immobilizes him or herself.

Dedicated shapeshifters, you could again probably just toss Ranged 5 on them, as the idea of being in the Form of the Kraken with range 5 is built into the class. And if dedicated shapeshifters can do it, I don't think it'd break much to have non-dedicated shapeshifters with range 5. You may consider changing a transformation bonus for Dedicateds to "Increase your range to 10" or something.

I would actually recommend against giving summoner creatures range 5, because I think having a summoner, an angel/devil, an elemental/fae and a greater summon all with range 10 or 5 would just cover way too much ground. I really don't know what to think, here.

With Buddies, you might consider just giving them Ranged 5. Then they pick 2 more bonuses.

What my group is doing is, instead of giving everyone ranged attacks, we're making melee attacks a bit special. If the character or creature isn't a Melee Creature, then they basically suck at melee. We have rules for fighting at point-blank at melee, and rules for melee training. A character or creature with melee training will crush a person without melee training at point blank range. We're also working on systems where it's not incredibly easy to be in the position of "Right next to a guy, oh and also I'm not exposed and they are." If this works out well enough, I'll ask the DM if we can post his version of house rules

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, I didn't mean CUT it, I just think it's a very strange power.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey Nerds, Somethingawful Forums Poster Serf is doing a Star Wars Strike! game. He says he'd consider using the Exposure houserule if people are down with it. It's going to be PROBABLY on weekdays, 7:00 eastern, with roll20/skype. Most likely around 7:00 Eastern, but time is probably going to be negotiable. Check it out, it involves plundering a death star.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760414

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, cover is still good, even if you don't have the Exposed houserule. You can still do a cover based shooter gunfight. It's just, if you shoot through cover, you're more likely to miss.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I just looked at the feat Beam Blaster. I really like the idea (it's good for miniguns, shotguns, ridiculous anime attacks), but with range 5, you're also missing out on a lot of squares.

To kinda show the comparison, at level 8, an archer's the normal blaster burst is 5x5, and a beam blaster burst is 3x5 and it has to be adjacent.

Normal bursts cover 9, 16 and 25 squares, beam bursts cover 5, 10 and 15 and are forced adjacent. Though, you certainly don't want to go "A beam of length [range]" because then a level 8 beam blaster sniper archer would cover 60 squares.

Maybe there's some other benefit a beam blaster could have, though? +1 damage, blow away low terrain, the option to push enemies?

Edit: How does Blaster work with abilities that create zones around targets, and area effects? If an archer/blaster hit 3 targets with Area Denial, does it create 3 3x3 squares that overlap (I very much doubt this)? Or, like, one large area made up of multiple squares that functions as one zone? Or just one 3x3 zone? Would Explosive Arrow cause 3 instances of start-of-turn explosions?

Would a bombardier make a 3x3 square of 3x3 zones?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 17, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Oh, I missed that bit in the class description.

Yeah, I guess I hadn't considered how blasts works for melee characters. If they managed to get some decent reach, then non-beam blasts are still pretty much better, and definitely more flexible. Melee blasters basically say "do a 3x3/4x4/5x5 blast within your melee reach", so if they have reach 3, it's definitely more flexible than a 5x3 beam, since you can also do things like "have the blast centered on yourself" or "have the blast centered one square away." But, if you don't have a way to increase reach, it could definitely help things.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Jimbozig posted:

For zones, overlapping zones don't stack, but you do end up with a larger area if you hit more than one target.

Cool, that's what I was expecting. Do zones from different people stack? Like, two archers using Area Denial? Or the Sentinel's special ability to cover ground?

I heard defender marks stack. Is that true?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, still, 5 ranged defenders working in tandem can just go "Oh, attack and you'll take 12/15 damage", which is pretty good for damage you don't have to roll.

Now, we just need 5 archer(sentinel)/defenders.

Or 5 Magician/Defenders all attacking with Prismatic Spray. Take 10 damage. Ok, if you do anything, take 12 damage.

Team Bland.

Edit:
I was talking ideas with a guy for the Star Wars game, and I realized that Necromancer actually goes really well with Leaders and Defenders. Gift of Terror is really good at the "I have a fearsome reputation", and you can bring allies back into the fight with Raise Dead. And Mark of Vampirism regeneration mixed with the Defender Defense Boost HP gain means you're gaining LOTS of HP.

Man I need more strike games.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, yeah, marks are autodamage. Which is a kind of control (soft control, like the Archer at-wills). However, between feats and defender powers like "I don't think so!" you can ramp that up to hard control. It's just less position based, which is why we probably never saw a ranged defender class in 4e. I mean, it's possible to make a ranged defender in 4e, but you have to do things like hybrids and careful feat and power selections.

Edit: Don't forget character classes, too. Necromancers built for close range encounters can have a guy be constantly harried and distracted, especially if you add that movement increasing feat that lets you use squares of movement on reaction to chase them down. Duelists, martial artists and kraken-shapeshifters all have ways to control the area around them. Heck, a melee magician can be REALLY hard to get away from. All classes have a level of control built in, and defender marks just turns the screws harder.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 18, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

spectralent posted:

I don't know; I don't really think "Do anything and also take 12 damage" is meaningfully a control effect, except by the tombstone mez effect.

If you had a Simple Class character who was a defender at level 1 with no appropriate feats, sure, that could be the case. I mean, I'm the one who pointed out "Magician Defender can just sit around and autodamage."

But, let's pick on a necromancer/defender. He's level 5, and has the feats Melee Shooter, Ranged Defender and Sprinter. He took Seed of Fear and Terrifying Visage, and his death mark is Mark of Terror. His defender level 2 move is "I don't think so."

Necromancer hits The Target with Seed of Fear. If it ends within 5 squares of The Necromancer, he's harried and distracted, which very quickly limits the target's options. The necromancer uses his Defender Mark. He moves adjacent to the target, using (up to) 5 squares of movement.

This is the situation now: if The Target moves away, then they can move 6 squares. But The Necromancer can move 5 squares still this round, ending within 5. Unless the Target chooses not to attack at all, its going to end up Harried and Distracted. If the Target attacks someone who isn't the Necromancer, then the Necromancer can choose to Slow the target automatically (good luck getting away now), or use "I don't think so" to remove the attack outright. Or both. So, the only real option is to attack the necromancer. (If you managed to get adjacent to the target on your turn, you can also hit them with a slow as they try to walk away or if they try to shoot you).

On the Necromancer's turn, he's rather close to The Target. Hit the nerd with Terrifying Visage, and the Target HAS to use its move action to get away... which means they shift (remain in your aura) or take an actual move, which not only hits with an opportunity (which you can slow on, if you'd like, preventing them from leaving your Harried/Distracted zone even if they DOUBLE move) it also means the faster Necromancer can swoop around and box the guy in. Or, he can start spreading around his Mark of Terror to other people with Less HP. If you have a friendly striker or blaster, they can start whittling down other creatures. Every time one of those other creatures dies, The Target has roll a save (at disadvantage) or be dazed, along with any creature within 3 squares of the dead guy. So now, The Target is slowed, harried, distracted, probably dazed, and marked.

This is by himself, for the record. Controllers can slide the Target next to The Necromancer and force rerolling that Daze save. Warlords can help the Necromancer spread his Mark of Terror. Leaders can make sure the Necromancer keeps up if the Target somehow double moves fully. Strikers can kill Terror'd guys. Blasters can create terrain to block people in. Magicians can throw Save Ends conditions at it (since the guy is saving at disadvantage). Archers can cover the place in zones. Bombardiers can create zones of damage for the guy to sit on.

You can get a crazy amount of control from a defender, if you use class and role abilities in concert, and with a little help, you can just drown a bad guy in status effects. It's a good time all around.

All that TOO much work? A necromancer friend could spread Mark of Terror (so you can take Mark of Vampirism, if you'd like, to make yourself PRETTY TOUGH). A necromancer/blaster or a necromancer with a warlord can do this. Have melee shooter and distant defender. Walk up to a dude, mark him, hit him with Terrifying Visage repeatedly. When your friend's mark of Terror goes off, there's a good chance your target is dazed. Your target gets TWO OPTIONS: Shift and end turn, or walk away and be slowed then end turn. That's not a lot of options.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 18, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have begun to put serious work into the idea of X-Com Strike.

My first bit of heresy brilliance is putting the higher level abilities of each class behind a reskinned tech tree.

Laser Weaponry - Archer
Plasma Weaponry - Bombardier
Kung FuFO - Martial Artist
Electrowhip - Duelist
Psionic Operations - Necromancer
Biokinetics - Warlord
Quantum Technology - Magician
MEC Troopers - Shapechanger
Nanotechnology - Summoner
Combat Drones - Buddies

Ok, so, you need to "unlock" laser weaponry before you can play an archer? Or do Archers have special upgrades about laser weaponry? Or are you adding additional feats for archers based around laser weaponry?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Dibs. What days do you still need?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey, uh, Prone allows you to use low cover as full cover. What do you do to intentionally drop prone? You can only inflict prone on targets.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Rogue Playtest Wednesday Results:

Final battle: 5 deaths.

And 1 survivor with 2 hp.

VICTORY.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
last dude is KOKO MARGUILE: FUTURE SOLDIER

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Edit: Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 28, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
No Jimbo! GRIND THE FRIDAY TESTERS INTO DUST

It's not enough for me to win, OTHERS HAVE TO LOSE

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
There was more that we could've done to get out of that situation, but I'm still learning the rule differences between it and 4e. I think if I had made some realizations EARLIER in the fight, we would've been in much better shape.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Yesss, crush their bones

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So, at will and on the fly, the psion can teleport adjacent to quite a few enemies (moving away from another player can be quite a few things), use the Leader's action trigger (but better), or reduce damage. That's a heck of a lot of options. And, if none of those very powerful options are useless THIS round, you still do autodamage and can take out a stooge. I'm a very big believer in the power of flexibility, and based solely off the at-wills, that is a comparatively high amount of good choices. Now, I do like that a lot of these powers are NOT long ranged: Pursuit has a range of 5, so it's not like you're teleporting across the map.

Specific things I notice:

Focus: Bulwark on a controller means that, as an interrupt, you can move someone away from their target as an interrupt. Would this negate the attack, i.e. moving a melee attacker 2 squares and out of melee range? Also, this is a very, very good power on a defender. If you mark a guy, and they attack you, and hit, you hit them. If they miss, you can use it on someone else.

The combination of long range and melee assaults actually just means "Take melee shooter and long range powers."

Focus: Pursuit is an extreme amount of mobility, depending on how you define "away from you or an ally." A lot of the time, moving towards one person will cause a creature to move away from another. This can negate a lot of things like immobilization, or risk of area damage ("PCs in this zone take 1 damage at start of turn") because it can be extremely likely they can just pop out before their turn comes up. Also, this is a general question. I come from 4e, where Move and Is Moved are definitely different. If a controller slides an enemy away from someone, would that allow you to teleport to them?

Focus: Pursuit and Focus: Ensnare both combine very well with a friendly controller.

I'm trying to decide if Focus: Shatter is ok or not. If you wait until they're bloodied, then it's only half as powerful as the Major Spell Thanatin's Malediction. It's also got the trigger "Is Bloodied", which means you get exactly one chance per person to possibly trigger it. I would actually consider making the failure move more powerful, or at least change the trigger to "An enemy is bloodied or a bloodied enemy his hit."

I'm in no way suggesting that this class is overpowered or anything. A lot of that would depend on the other two Class Options and seeing how the other encounters are. I just think it needs a bit of clarification. For the record, I'd probably make a Psion defender and never look back, but I really like defenders in general.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, man, feel free to bait me using a literal attack. I'll gladly take a good usage of Bulwark now vs a possible perfect Bulwark that MIGHT happen. "Good thing NOW" is usually better than "Maybe perfect thing LATER."

If Bulwark on a controller can't negate attacks, there probably should be a specific clarification about it. If it's not supposed to, you could also have it as a Reaction, and heal 1 or 2 vs the current resist 1 or 2, then it wouldn't be an issue. The only real drawback would be that, I think, if someone were dropped to like -4, the heal 1 would become effectively heal 5, while it wouldn't prevent someone who'd normally be sent to, say, -5 from actually reaching -5. That's fairly niche.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
KOKO MARGUILE, FUTURE SOLDIER. I really like sprinter on a rogue. I would bait people to get into charge range, then move away, and when they gave up, move forward again, granting me ranged advantage via trap. Ducking in and out of cover, constantly threatening flanks. Sprinter is one of the best feats, and it's better on a rogue with trap, because whether or not you change positions, you keep those 10 squares for later. Against melee only enemies, you literally can't be hit, and can infinitely kite. Add in a few "no, dm, that doesn't happen" moves from the defender, and you have a dick of a character.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
One thing I'd definitely like are items that expand options, rather than make options more powerful.

Like, if I special craft a gun for an archer, I want it to give me, like, a new "Double Barrel" attack that let's me hit/push everyone in a 3x3 square adjacent to me, or "rocksalt" that's a single target prone, not "I got a gun, +1 damage" or "I have a scope, +2 range."

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lay on Hands posted:

Why settle for one or the other? You could have recipes as described above for individual weapons or armour, and small ways to modify those recipes. You crafted a gun, so you have a Double Barrel attack: the gun was modified with a scope, so it gets more range, but less damage, or whatever.

Well, there's a couple reasons.

The first reason is "+2 range" is boring. Like, sure. Mechanically, adding +1 or +2 to whatever is one of the best things you can do. In D&D 4e, the best superior implements, 99% of the time, were "Accurate" implements. +1 damage or +1 to hit or whatever is great, but then it just becomes "Well, I could do this really cool thing that expands my options and lets me engage in battle in new, interesting ways, or I guess I could get +1 damage which is literally a 50% damage increase and is therefore probably superior."

The second reason is that these kinds of things would let you make new styles of characters. For my shotgun example, be an Archer, and you could mark a couple dudes as a defender, then push them away. Have a blaster give you some cover, or move more freely behind the wall, and force them to chase you around. Blitzers would roll well with the point-blank-shotgun, and Sentinels could put their damage spots between them, forcing enemies to take damage to approach. It'd be hilarious.

The third reason is that you can make certain classes more flavorful. Take a modern game story, and add magic. Illegal magic. You've got a blood mage. But, when he's not using his blood mage powers (which would be illegal), he can use the shotgun to get by. +1 damage doesn't help you make more interesting settings. (You could reflavor his at-will magics to be guns and his encounters to be Actual Spells, though, but this would be another option. Then his shotgun would be like everyone else's shotgun, and some people like that.)

+[stat] also trips over various classes and roles. +1 damage makes you roll nearly as much damage as a striker for some levels. Constant regeneration and resist makes you basically a defender. You could argue my shotgun trips over blaster or controller, but I think +1 damage is a stronger example.

+damage can also lead to some consequences in the monster math. What do we do if everyone has +damage? Do we increase monster health? Well, at that point, if you do it right, you may as well do nothing at all. Do we add more monsters? Well, that can rapidly complicate things, via the action economy. Does it stack with Blood Mage's damage bonus? If not, other mages are pretty much strictly superior. If it does, Blood Mages can suddenly one-shot a lot more things. I mean, we could have an item limit, but then you have issues where you can't predict WHICH items people take: if they take more offense items than you expect, fights becomes rocket tag. Too many defense items, fights become slogs.

+/-[stat] is the most common type of modifier in any game, because it's super easy. It's also one of the easiest ways (next to things like multi-attacking feats and powers) to cause the game to rapidly become a headache to approach balance.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

paradoxGentleman posted:

This does however produce weird results from time to time . I have been practicing making characters and my Hulk ripoff, statted as a One Form (of the Mammoth) Shapeshifter does the same damage as a human than as a giant.

Hmm. I'd slightly modify the Multi-Role shapechanger feat. Instead of your base form having no role, and each role having a feat, I'd say that your base form has one role and your mammoth form has another. So, you could be base (leader), and then Hulk (striker).

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

gnapo posted:

I'm not quite sure how the feat Sprinter is supposed to work. What counts as an event I can react to? If i have ten squares left, can i do this ten times between my turns for one square each? Can i react to each movement sqare someone makes that wants to come close to me and attack me in melee? What if someone wants to charge me?

Having used this feat with the author:

You can react to literally anything, BUT, they get to actually complete what they're doing.

If you have 10 squares left, yes, you could move one square 10 times.

HOWEVER, if someone decides to, say, MOVE, they get to use all the movement they plan to at that time before you can react. So, if someone breaks up a move, so that their turn is, say, "Move 2, attack, move 4", then you could only react after he has moved two, or after he attacks, or after he moves four.

Or, you know, move one square each time, go hog wild.

Side Fun Fact: There's nothing stopping you from taking opportunities on your own turn.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is anyone doing an online Strike game and looking for players? A friend and I are looking to play, hopefully being able to play the Ogre class from the playtest.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I bet I could get a person to run an ogre with me, but I'd have to find a game we could both get in, first. We would play Cho'Gal in heroes of the storm

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey, I wanted to take a look at that "two players play 1 dude" class, is there a place I can see it?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
You get a handful of The Spice