Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
How about: The Gambler has a hand of five cards. When he makes a standard attack he can boost his attack based on the quality of the hand as a poker hand, which forces him to discard and draw a new hand. Or he can discard and redraw as many cards from his hand as he wishes as a Role action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Kazzam is the next thing I'm going to publish. It's based on Strike! Kazzam is a wizarding sport that works like Strike! combat, but with some extra "sport" elements taken from video games.

Is there mechanical support for all the off-field hijinks you can get up to, like kidnapping the star player's pet rat so they can't concentrate during the game, or having your striker unexpectedly fall in love with the enemy goalkeeper?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

In a novel, the main character might miss a match because they have detention or get hurt. But in a team RPG, having one player sit out for a Kazzam match is a non-starter. And even having a character's efficacy compromised feels like more of a downer. So I'm really considering carefully the kinds of connective tissue I need to design to make the matches feel like part of the story while also allowing them to feel like proper fair contests of luck and skill.

I was thinking of something like Strings in Monsterhearts, where your character's personality determines both how you can get Strings on other characters and how you can spend those strings to manipulate them. So if you're the Swot, getting someone detention doesn't mean they miss the match -- it means they're skipping detention for the match, and the Swot can then spend the "Skipping Detention" string to have them notice the professor who put them into detention is watching them play and make them miss a key shot.