Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So the description for the Mob trait indicates that Mob monsters will often resist or have immunity to certain statuses, without mentioning any specifics, and then seems to imply it's going to depend on the fiction and flavor. I think I kind of understand, but does anyone have examples of how they have applied this in their games or how they would?

e: A few more questions about Mobs:

If 4 PCs are standing inside a 2x2 Mob (unlikely situation I'm sure), do each of them get attacked on the start of their turn? (I assume yes?)

Can these extra attacks be any available attacks, or only basic attacks? (as far as I can tell, RAW would imply any available attack?)

If the Mob can use the extra attack on a burst 1 melee power (in the same example with 4 players inside a 2x2 mob), would it hit all the characters? (I assume yes?)

On opportunities: If a 2x2 Mob moves onto the same square as a player, I understand that this does not grant an opportunity, but what if the Mob (during the same movement or later) moves one space further so that the player is in a different square of the Mob? (I assume no opportunity in this case?)

What if the player moves from one square within the Mob to another? (I assume the mob gets opportunity?)

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Thanks for making that great OP, Count!

You can choose.

You're right on all those things, although if the AoE scenario were to arise, that might be a good time for a quick sanity check on whether or not what you are doing makes sense in the fiction.

For the immunity thing, the most obvious example (and I probably should have written it in the game) is grappling. You can't grab a mob of 20 peasants at once unless you're some kind of eldritch horror or a giant squid or something. If you don't like the wishy washy nature of the restriction, just say "can't be grabbed" and you've taken care of the largest dissonance. If you're embracing the intentional vagueness, then many other immobilizing and throwing and forced movement effects are ignored. "I know it would be hilarious, Doug. But you can't throw a swarm of bees at the other swarm of bees."

Great, thanks, that makes sense.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Miss triggers are meant to occur every time someone misses an attack on a given monster?

e: I'm guessing yes? They all seem like pretty minor effects and it does tie into the "no boring failures" paradigm.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 6, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It should be fine to allow special movement as part of powers that let you say something like "move up to your speed", right? Like say, a leaping charge?

On that note, a question about Opportunities w/r/t the Leaper trait. I'm on board with granting Opportunities when something leaps out of a square, and not granting them mid-leap makes sense, but what about landing?

"...This allows you to avoid granting Opportunities in the middle of your movement but not when you leave the first square or land in the last..."

Does this mean you grant an opportunity to adjacent enemies when you land in a square, or does this refer to something like leaping to a square next to an enemy, and then using standard movement to move out of that square?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ah, yeah I forgot about that one, good point.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't know about you but having to wait for one person to play some dumb minigame on their turn doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If Count or someone whips up a spreadsheet template or whatever of an appropriate size to fit an appropriate number of cards on each printed page, and establishes a format for everyone to follow, we can spread the classes and roles out among us so no one person has to trudge through the whole thing. Presto, a complete card set in no time.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 9, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yeah that sounds good, I don't mind whipping up a template for that. I'd like to get Jim's permission first though - We'd effectively be making everything except Feats and Class Features available which he might not be comfortable with.

Good point. I don't know much about DriveThruRPG but is there a way to offer something up as a free supplement or extra only to people who've bought the book?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Have you considered if this whole concept would work better as a role?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Hell yeah, it's Warlord/Leader all over again. Make a Sneaky class and a Sneaky role, tuck all the stuff that would break in certain role combinations into the role, and vice versa.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I ran a test combat last night on Roll20, took about an hour and a half, which I expected considering I've got fuckall experience with the system and GMing in general, but everyone seemed to have a good time regardless.

e: Oh, and I had YET another question, if a monster has the Resilent trait (not to be confused with the Resilent feat) which allows it to save at the beginning of its turn, and it has been inflicted with Ongoing Damage (save ends) can it make its save before the damage, potentially negating it?

Scyther fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 19, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Is this going to be available to Patreon supporters or is it not considered a "mini" expansion?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If anyone has any stories from play of how you used the Team Conflict rules or the Chase rules, I'd really like to read them. I mean I understand pretty well how they mechanically work, I'm just interested to see how people have been using them in play.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Anyone have thoughts on using titans or champions against only three PCs, while maintaining a reasonably fair challenge and not making combat drag?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

Encounter design question: according to the book, it's one standard monster per character for a fairly easy challenge up to four players, but at five players, I should increase their encounter powers by one and I get one action point. My question is: should I still be adding in a monster for player 5, or no? I'm not sure if that was saying "with that many players, synergy means that the enemies need a bonus to counter that" or "keep enemy numbers lower, with that many PCs it's better to make quality than quantity of enemies".

So: 4 standard + bonuses, or 5 standard + bonuses?

Without ever actually having to run combat for more than 4, I've always assumed 4+bonuses, but looking at the wording it seems ambiguous so now I'm not so sure.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

On one hand I'm a bit sad that there's hasn't been more mini expansions, but full expansion books is pretty drat cool too. My wallet is ready.

Superstring posted:

Let the splatbook bloatening begin!

Kidding, of course. Looking forward to new classes. I've noticed recently how the current classes are pretty hard defined as melee or ranged. I hope some of the new ones have options for both.

Seconding this.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

homullus posted:

Every ranged class is melee with the Melee Shooter feat.

That is a pretty good point.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Covok posted:

Where are the rules for making monsters? I saw sample monsters, but not rules for building them. Getting deja vu so, if I asked before, my bad.

Page 161.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Maybe someone (someone who's smarter than me, preferably) can write a quick sort of overview of which types of enemies the various classes and roles are stronger/weaker against, as a reference for combat encounter design?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I pretty much always forget Miss Triggers. I don't know why I'm chronically incapable of remembering them. What I really need is a big fat reminder that pops up on Roll20 screaming "REMEMBER: MISS TRIGGERS" every time someone rolls a miss in combat.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So if the Ogre provokes an opportunity by leaving a square without shifting, both heads take the hit? What about statuses, what happens if an enemy targets one head and knocks it prone, or immobilizes it, or somesuch with an attack?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Strike has finally become true to its namesake and puts the GM in the position of the capital class while the players wage war through walk outs.

Players walking out? My campaigns already usually go like that [laugh track]

:smith:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Sorry about that, got you and Count mixed up regarding who was the author

As for the shipping, well it's been a while since I last ordered any physical books off Drivethrustuff so it's possible the rates have changed(last time it was really expensive if you wanted it sent to you in less than 2 weeks), so I guess I should double check that before making you go through a bunch of work setting things up on Lulu(as for Amazon, at those costs probably isn't a good idea), so I'll get back to you about that once I'm back at my computer and not posting from my phone

I'm not saying this to be a snarky dick to you or call you out or anything, but if you had ordered a physical copy on Drivethru back in January when you first brought this up, you would have had it ages ago, even with the slowest shipping option.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

Does this game have a DM's screen or like a page with quick references that I can use in-game?

There's some quick references on this page : http://www.strikerpg.com/downloads.html

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If any of my players want to do things that match their combat abilities out of combat, they need to pick an appropriate skill during character creation, or be prepared to make unskilled rolls for something they're ostensibly supposed to be good at.

Classes and Roles apply to combat situations only. It's cleaner that way. :colbert:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

That would cause a lot of narrative dissonance for me personally.

If you can throw fireballs in combat, why can't you use a fireball to bust down a door outside of combat? Or are you saying you can as long as you picked a fireball skill or rolled untrained?

Yes, I would highly recommend someone who flings fireballs in combat picks "Fireballs" or "Fire magic" or something as one of their skills in order for their character to make sense. If they don't want to they would have to roll unskilled as some sort of representation of their fire magic being wild and untamed and difficult to apply with precision or to other purposes than burning faces off.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The reason to use Skills for things like "Gunslinging" or "Brawling" or whatever is that they are a clearly defined mechanic on how to resolve things. There is no rule or even guideline for how to apply combat powers to noncombat situations. Because those powers all could be skinned in a thousand different ways.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

One of my players learned Illegal Wrestling Moves not long ago.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I practically never do opposed checks. I'm not sure I see the benefit of having an NPC roll against a player VS just having the player rolling, and Player VS Player conflict is pretty rare.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

To me "find an excuse to roll any other skill than a "combat" skill" sounds like some "No no no, D&D 5e works fine as long as make sure your players have exactly the correct number of encounters in a day" nonsense to me. I don't need a bunch of contrived unnatural restrictions making running a system harder and less intuitive.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

You want to duel the captain of the guard? Uhhh sorry, our only options are:

- Give you your own personal one-on-one tactical combat while the other players watch
- Have you automatically beat him
- Roll unskilled
- Hope you have "Acrobatics" or something else on your sheet that could conceivably be applied

All because having a character who's good at fencing possess the skill "Fencing" is bad for vague tummyfeel reasons. What the hell could possibly be more intuitive than "You want to fence against a dude, roll Fencing"?

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 25, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

5) Do #1 except instead of doing it while the other players watch resolve it between sessions.
6) Do #1 except duel to first blood.

I don't really have a horse in this race I'm just spitballing how I might resolve the situation.

I really think it's insane overkill to bust out tactical combat for a 1v1 or first blood scenario. The former turns a simple roll into a statted out fight that must be timed to fit inbetween sessions with the player in question. The latter just seems crazy. In a duel to first blood, Initiative is going to be disproportionately important, as will certain interrupts, Statuses and Strikes will be meaningless. It'll probably skew things in even more weird ways I can't foresee off the top of my head.

So you agree with me? That players should take appropriate skills for engaging in combat-like activities out of combat? Cool.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

When I started running my game back in January, I had never played Strike and nor had most of my players, and the ones that had were mostly just part of a few isolated playtests. In the beginning we often ran into situations we were unsure how to resolve because characters wanted to do a thing it made sense for them to have a shot at, but they didn't have skills that matched up with what they flavored their Class and Role powers as. Rolling untrained didn't feel right, nor did automatic success, nor did stretching some other skill beyond reason to somehow encompass what they were trying to do.

I ended up offering players a chance to just change their skills on their sheet to properly encompass what they had envisioned their character to be. Boom, questions and ambiguity gone.

I will absolutely be reminding and re-reminding my players in any future games that Class and Role powers don't mean jack poo poo outside of tactical combat, because that's the most unambiguous, least contrived, cleanest way of doing things. I'm not the least bit worried about skill tax, because skills are so easy to come by.

Agreeing with all of this. It's a fuzzy mess to turn combat powers into freebie "kinda sorta" skills.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A combat skill is not a skill that "only applies to combat-like scenarios that are resolved with skills instead of tactical combat", because such a skill does not exist in the Strike rules as written. At the bare minimum you get knowledge and the ability to make declarations. That's at the minimum, and ignoring countless possible situations such as using "Gunslinging" to shoot a rope in half to save your friend who's being hanged, and any of another thousand different uses we could come up with for your average "Combat" skill. There is no fundamental difference between "Gunslinging" and "Field Medic" skills. You use them for different fictional tasks, but they function the same way mechanically.

You can treat combat fluff as granting the ability to make Skilled rolls if you want, I'm not going to because it means the guy who Hits Stuff Hard gets less utility given to him than the guy who Hits Stuff But Also Heals People because the former gets to make trained rolls on Hitting Things and the latter gets to make trained rolls on both Hitting Things and Healing People independently of the skills they've both chosen.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again Jim, for making such a cool game.

My group tonight thought it was the perfect combination of Fate, Savage Worlds, and *World on the noncombat side and Savage Worlds and D&D on the combat side. I was hoping and expecting they'd like it, but it's gratifying that it went so well. It sounds like this might be their new favorite system.

This is a group that ended up with a strong dislike for 4e after I ran the Slaying Stone (somewhat poorly) and a PF/3e-centric DM took over for the next 4e campaign. So it's awesome that we seem to have found a crunchy/tactical combat game that we can all enjoy.

They created characters using the background questionnaire and letting them fill in the rest, and then they actually surprised me by picking classes, powers, feats and roles all at the table in under an hour and a half and we started playing an intro scenario I'd half fleshed out. I wasn't expecting to do a combat, but they were all for it, and I ended up running a quick combat that I'd prepared just in case while I was puttering around with my encounter builder:

1x Crushinator
2x ShieldBot
4x PewBot

They ended up crushing it with only two strikes (in a group of 5 PCs), but I forgot the defender mechanics on the ShieldBots a few times and let a few things slide as we all learned the rules together.

For next time I'm going to print up power cards for everyone and see if I can print out a few different reskinnable encounters. It was tough trying to teach the rules with one book that the players were using and a tablet I was using to flip between my encounter and the player powers to try to teach the game.

It looks like you forgot to increase the damage and traits when you converted that Brute up to an Elite :ninja:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kits in my game get almost completely forgotten. Which is a shame, Kits are cool. Then again my game also seems to have a problem with the action point economy to the point where nobody ever invokes their complications.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've only used Team Conflict once but I let the players know explicitly which traits the opposition had.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Okay, so my players managed to recruit an Elite Packmaster to their side. How should I handle this? How should I balance combat around their presence? Balance roughly for an additional player? (So designing combat for six players if I have five players.)

I would completely abstract it and use the guidelines on page 28 and onwards, and treat it as an item granting some kind of benefit, personally. Maybe an extra encounter power.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Because I'm bad at typing AND proof-reading.... Time to fix that.

EDIT:

Printer Friendly.

Looks kinda like that combat roll table is missing an icon to represent damage.

Also it should maybe say under Action Points that you need a "Related Skill" to gain advantage on a skill roll.