Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Oh hey, this thing. Even after becoming a system sold for real money, it's still the bastard child of 4e and Apocalypse World. :v:

You know what would be an awesome thing for this system? A squad vs squad wargame option. Like that throwaway squad combat system in FATE Core, but with more tactical depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

ShineDog posted:

That's a positive right?

Hell loving yes it is. That should've been self-evident. I mean, poo poo, I playtested the thing back when it was SBBQ and got a box quote :smaug:

And a combo class like it sounds the bard/dancer is aiming for could work in one of two ways: either you have a move that unlocks a special thing when a condition is met or you have a move that gets better (or unlocks) when a certain condition is met or a game currency is earned.

The former would make the character more opportunistic, the latter would make the character more momentum based.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 7, 2016

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I had some crazy bullshit system based on a Chinese dice game/Cee-Lo once, where you got effects based on doubles, triples, the dice number and a 456 straight. I eventually gave up and just made a draw and keep card system like the ToB Crusader. You could use the cards themselves as your hit or bust mechanic, with the press your luck mechanic being a blind discard and draw. If you have to use dice, you just assign powers to numbers, possibly with an effect akin to the out of combat skill checks.

Also, Jimbozig: did you sell the squad based game addon as "Final Fantasy Tactics: Elfgame Edition"? Because that seems like it would print money.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't really get the micro-machines option. A mobile persistent buffing aura you attack through is a neat idea. A stationary turret is a neat idea (that I wish the class leaned into harder by having the choice of placement be a bigger deal). They don't seem like the same idea.

They serve the same mechanical function of "extended zone of control", I would assume. Also mechanically, having an extended zone of control seems like a non-starter if that zone of control can just be ignored by enemy movement (which is what a single stationary turret has to worry about). It's why you always followed up a fog spell in D&D with Evard's :cthulhu: , for example.

You cannot have the same level of tactile control over turret placement in an elfgame that you do in an arena shooter where every level is designed to have choke points designed around said ability. They're completely different things.