Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was thinking of making a dancer/bard class that spent combat applying buffs and debuffs that while weak at first, have a range to all enemies (if hit) and allies in the field and got progressively better on "stanzas" or "steps" as combat went on but I can't see to properly balancing it in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

homullus posted:

You could tie the dances to patterns of squares the character would have to move, and if they're able to do the correct sequence of them, the moves upgrade. The player would ideally be forced to choose between completing a pattern for an upgrade and staying in a more advantageous or safe position on the field.

Ohhh this is actually quite clever! At first I just thought that keeping the song/dance upkeep would make the user grant advantage to the enemies as the singer is basically keeping himself "open" but i could separate that just for the "bardsong" abilities.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Have Gambler use 3 die for all attacks that are normally meh but when you rack 3 of the same it's a jackpot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, this was basically the problem with the gambler class in an otherwise decent Final Fantasy game I've played.

FFD6? It was flawed but playable and I had fun with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of high risk and high reward classes, I was thinking of making some sort of "Berserker" class whose moves aren't very impressive normally but become stronger and trickier when they are below a certain HP threshold and deal damage to themselves to remove debuffs/gain buffs. Like a move that only deals medium damage normally but when the user is below 4 HP it also drains health or stabbing your own leg to increase your movement/take off a snare.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Berserker leader doesn't synergize well I admit but defender actually does as I envision it since you want to get beaten up ASAP to start going ham.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Strike! is like Gogeta but with D&D 4E instead of Goku and FATE instead of Vegeta.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Alright, having tried it for myself, I've come to the conclusion that it'd be way, way more useful with the text. So you have permission to use power and class feature text from the core book. As for expansions, I'll hold off on making that decision for today.

The simple fact is that a really good tool that adds a lot of usability to the game and makes it easier to get into will hopefully get people playing more, and by consequence drive sales. I'm still at the stage where I'm more worried about getting people to play and talk about it than I am about people not paying for it.

Well, FWIW online builders usually incentivizes people to buy the books in order to look for better strategies and more details for their builds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A stance based class would be interesting, maybe make it like the 4e slayer who barely has encounter stuff and is mostly based on at-will stances that change his mobility and stuff?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

Isn't this the Martial Artist?

I remember looking at a draft where the MA had a few encounter powers and was not that reliant on the stances

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dancer! I remember getting really excited with that concept when I was talking about it with Countblanc. That being said drat, Bring the House Down has a massive range. Is it really balanced for a level 3 ability?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

You may be misinterpreting it; It requires you to to move exactly 5 spaces, the Xs on step charts are where the dancer ends up at after performing it, not which enemies it hits. This is almost assuredly because I didn't properly explain it but some of these have been stewing in dev mode jargon for months now. But hey that just means the packet is doing what it's supposed to do!

The picture example didn't help which is why I mistook it in the first place!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Making the ability prevent a solid 3 damage during the round before poofing out would make more sense but I guess it would just be a generic "you get 3 temporary hit points".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

In other words it actually works the way that armor works in Overwatch (which I gather is the inspiration for this particular power) in that it works better against numerous weaker attacks than it does at mitigating single big attacks.

So you think!
https://gfycat.com/InbornObedientChihuahua

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Strike has finally become true to its namesake and puts the GM in the position of the capital class while the players wage war through walk outs.

BOY THAT SOUNDS FAMILIAR

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just start sending CC-immune Champions and Elites against them. Or ve even a bigger dick and make your own CC-capable mobs and add them to encounters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat. Well, as someone with a close relative who has been struggling with cancer the las 6 years you and your daughter will find some real strength from within yourselves from now on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I personally prefer text-only games (well, text-and-grid) to Skype games, or even in-person games. It's a different environment, it's usually easier to say poo poo that your character would say rather than worrying that your nerd voice will make it sound stupid, or you'll get a brainfart, or it's just something thatsounds patently absurd when said aloud. Even in non-serious games like Plutonis' FFTA game I played in where my character was a power-hungry moogle magician I was still able to keep "in character" compared to if I needed to say "kupo" out loud all the time.

I'd probably get annoyed and one-up the enemy encounters after all the Kupoing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Same here since I gmed several times but have never played :cryingfeelsman:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GM: Bahahaha let's see how the stupid players deal with my next threat, the 49 goblins with 1 hp army.

Player that took the Blood Magician Striker build: :getin:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ugh my PC breaks just when I decide to get off my rear end and start work on the DANMAKUMANCER

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Running my first game of this in about an hour and a half. I'm nervous, because I've never played before - but I've got the cheat sheets in front of me and a bunch of general plot ideas that aren't so specific they cant twist off. Here goes nothing!

What is it about?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hah, cool tokens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Anyone have any idea how to stat out Mike Tyson as a solo encounter? Or should I do it through the duel system or what?

Setting is Nintendo and I realized he ABSOLUTELY needs to be a boss fight.

Pseudo-encounter Star Punch that he can only use after dealing a certain amount of damage? Has a huge push knockback and you rolls 1d6, if it's 1-5 it knocks 'em prone and 6 dazes for a turn.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Call it Cornered

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you roll a saving throw at the start of the turn instead of the end while having ongoing damage, do you not take the damage the turn if you pass?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Suggestion: Future editions and prints of this definitely ahould have the 2d6 rule variant as the main one because 15% chance of getting a strike sucks for my players and I didn't knew about the variant when we started.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gwargh!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gort posted:

Haven't had an issue with 1s causing strikes so far. What's the variant exactly?

It's been happening to some players and the fact that theoretically the RNG/Dice loving you up so hard by rolling fumbles on your attack rolls that if an enemy takes you out you are ded is silly..

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

This is the first that I'm hearing that there's a second edition of Strike! in the works and I'm delighted.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Big news for me as well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Question, does Reliable Summoner bump 3s on dicerolls to 4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Hey Plutonis, sorry I missed this post. Or rather, I saw the post but wasn't at home and so resolved to answer your question when I got home, and then forgot all about it.

It doesn't. Why would it?

Came up in my game, turns out it was an error with Hyphz' character sheet thing.