Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

How many action points do people get at the start of game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Edit: Did not read posts, whoops

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Good luck, Jimbozig, we're all rooting for ya.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

- Duel and Battle a pair of subsystems for fighting on smaller and larger scales than tactical combat. Duel is for 1-on-1 fights obviously - it's based on Chase, but a bit more involved. I've tested it out and it's a lot of fun. Battle allows the PCs to influence but not determine the outcome of a large battle between armies. It's cool too, but needs more work - it's not as fun as Duel yet. These might be part of the big expansion, or they could be a mini-expansion together, depending on how things shake out.

Ooooh my lord I want this so badly. In my friend's game I am playing a young rebel captain in a magical-space (like a personal Spelljammer) setting. If this can be used for pistol duels, space boat duels, or huge armada sized space battles I am buying it immediately upon release. I'm buying it eventually even if not.

Congrats on the good family news! Best wishes!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I'm thinking of running a game of Strike! based on the web serial A Practical Guide to Evil and have been musing over some things. Basically the world in Prac Guide is a divine pissing match between the Gods Above and Gods Below. In the world there are Named who are essentially characters with a title that have super powers related to it ex: Black Knight, Ranger, Lone Swordsman, Adjucant... The Named are heavily influenced by the narrative of situations and the tropes you'd see relating to their Name or in similar stories. There are two sides, Good (backed by the Gods Above) with common themes of over the top heroics, speeches, divine light magic, and a tendency to come out on top in the face of insurmountable odds, and Evil (repping the Gods Below) making pacts with devils, legions of terror, armies of sentient tigers, pits full of man-eating tapirs, stealing the weather...

The story can be gritty or over the top depending on the situation and Named involved, but playing heavily with the tropes. The main issue I'm running into is the Named over time develop 3 Aspects, similar to tricks, that can each be used once before being expended for the dramatic scene. They're each a single word always bolded, like Take, Rise, Analyse or Slice. And I can't figure out a way to use them without running into issues with the structure of Strike!. If I use tactical combat, what happens when someone uses Crush on either another named or a platoon of mooks? Or outside of combat how to I manage Aspects compared to tricks (that I might do by having tricks be incredibly narrow comparatively, but there's only so many ways an Aspect can spin a certain word)

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Out of combat:

I'm not clear on whether you want to adapt tricks for this, or to have Aspects be a system you use parallel to Tricks. If you want to use Tricks, I'll be posting something soon that shows my current take on tricks, which is a little bit different than base Strike! rules. An example of one that goes beyond what Tricks did in the base game is: "Tough It Out: Spend an Action Point to ignore one Injured Condition for the duration of one subsystem or one scene if not using a subsystem." Another: "Bluffcatching: spend an Action Point to ask the player of any character (PC or NPC) if their character is bluffing. The player must answer honestly: if they say they aren't bluffing and you call them on it, they must follow through."

If you want to have it be a separate system, what is it that makes it different from Tricks? Are they broader than Tricks? What do you think the effect of Aspect use would be, compared to regular Skill use by Named? Do they ever fail or get countered?

An issue I see with the tricks system is Aspects can each be used exactly once in an appropriate narrative length (because the world is heavily driven by narrative tropes). So later on if you have 3 Aspects you could fire all three off in a row (instead of needing three action points) or if you had already used 3 no matter how many AP you had you couldn't use them on that.

But my main concern was what if one person's title is for example the Great Beast with Rampage, Destroy, Terrorize. And the other say the Scion with Influence, Bargain, Analyse. One leans heavily into the combat Aspects and the other into a more social/mental field. Would that work itself out?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I think I may just be over thinking this actually. Just have Aspect tricks be more versatile and not take an action point, instead having a narrative cooldown of a scene, with your combat tricks being refluffed encounter powers with out of combat applications.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for the help guys, I got my ideas in order.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 15, 2018

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Quick question, can a Boss' Crew learn skills? It's not specified either way in the book so far as I can tell.

Edit: They seem to roll skill rolls as usual, aside from the roll at the start of the session, but A Growing Concern also gives them a trick and two skills, so does that imply that's how you're meant to have them learn skills?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Did the rules for Duel ever come out? I'd be interested in them still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

About to finish a Strike game with my friends that we've been playing pretty consistently for 2 years. And boy howdy let me tell you, as the GM, I hate fighting against Defenders. I can't imagine how painful it is to balance an encounter for a party with more than one of them.

You can't hurt them, you can't not hurt them, and they turn everything into a punch out brawl unless I place at least one person who's sole role in the fight is to give him no O/M.

That's just a personal gripe though as I picture all the really cool encounters he trivialized. I once gave each player an elite monster and put them up against a team of players played by me. Everyone but the defender magician and the controller warlord folded like a cheap suit (by design, 4 elites vs 4 players), but even they decided to negotiate with the defender because they just couldn't kill her.

Easily the best table top gaming experience I've had in a decade and I've already got two players asking me if/when we're breaking out this setting and game again. I love Strike.

I just have Defender based trauma.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 22, 2021