Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I know when I bought A game a while ago, there was a PDF with it that was a separate file, I can't imagine it would be too hard to include the cards as a bonus in the next released supplement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hello, I'm currently working on a side-campaign using the adversarial rules.
In order to give a little more variety, and also because I'm thinking we will probably be setting the game in space, what's the over-under on using team conflict for town assault?

I'm thinking it could be used to simulate ship-to-ship combat, or having to pilot through a difficult section of space since you were thrown off-course.

Any thoughts on how this would work or how I should scale it to keep pace with the danger of a standard combat assault?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

If you want it to carry the risk of death and injury for one or more PCs like a regular town assault does, you'll need to hack it a bit. In TC, the players generally all end with the same level of Conditions, while in a combat one player might be unscathed while another is injured. Maybe add in some kind of individual portion before and/or after the TC?

I'm going to have to look over team conflict again, but couldn't I just have loss with N+X strikes resulting in Y deaths or death opportunities? For instance, if the team loses with 7 strikes, the warp core is breached and one of them must rush in to stop it, but will die from radiation doing so? If so, how do I incentivise them to keep going instead of cutting their losses once they reach that point? Or would cutting their losses be the behaviour I'm trying to encourage? (Probably not, that seems a tad less upbeat than I was hoping for in theme.)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'll have to think on the retreat consequence, maybe toss a nasty twist since it would be the party actually retreating, probably blindly?

I think having a roll, probably at disadvantage where failure is death that is relevant to the team conflict might work? Maybe I'll just not worry too much about it with this party, since one player is brand new.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

If you want to playtest monsters, some of which may be crap, here is the file of ones I'd made for the upcoming monsters and loot sort of supplement. There are over 70 monsters in the file right now, spread across all levels. They are all non-human opponents (though you can always reskin). The human(oid) opponents part I hadn't gotten around to yet. The file is still very rough and I won't have time to clean it up, but they all need playtesting at some point.

I was trying to put this on my new tablet and I get a file not found error, is this document no longer available?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Ah drat, that too got caught up in dropbox's change of policy, removing the public folder. I'll have to rehost it somewhere when I get home.

Speaking of which, anyone have a recommendation for a good place to put up PDFs and poo poo like this for free? Ideally one that doesn't shower you with ads every time you attempt to download a file. I could just put it up on my website, I guess, but that's so much less convenient than Dropbox was.

I usually use Google Drive to share with my gaming group. I have no idea how that would work on a larger scale.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So, BotW's challenge system reminds me of how your total HP never increases as a player in Strike!

Good job on that one already.

As for the 5 different currencies, I'm not sure how well that would work as a TTRPG, simulationist systems certainly have tried something similar (D&D variants have the price of arrows and food, and skills for making both of these...)
However, these tend to be largely ignored by players, and indeed, if I find myself in a situation where the GM is tracking this, I set aside some starting gold and buy "Enough" trail rations, since they don't really go bad.

Part of the problem is, in a game like BotW, you are the only person playing, you dictate the pace entirely yourself. However, in a TTRPG, there's at least 2 players, and usually 4-7. This means that in your limited time playing, you're splitting player priority 4-7 ways over 5 resources, which seems like a daunting design challenge.

...However, I'd love to see you design a board game with this idea in mind.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Also just steal the Hoops from Gamma World probably. Especially if you're having any large desert areas.

An automated factory that keeps running and the repair robots have had to scavenge pieces from ______ which was never intended to happen. (Humans, settlements, mutants, whatever floats your boat.)

At the epicenter of the first atomic blast, a vast force of malevolent psychic energy was catalyzed into a being of pure hate/pain/etc., they now roam the land. Some misguided scavengers even WORSHIP these creatures.

Jurassic Park can exist in any comic-science setting, and post apoc is no exception. The dinosaurs have had their own run of the place for quite a while, making it a dangerous and expanding breeding ground. Probably no one has been able to adventure into it either, so you've got a fair amount of non-perishables that haven't been looted.

If you don't do that, a twisted Disney World is just a really fun and cool setting.

A small town has found and managed to get working an old movie theater, and has formed a religion on the only films left in the tin. You can make this Westerns or Superhero movies if you want, or go full dumb with Shrek if that's closer to your tone.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Yes, that sort of feedback is still useful! I do plan on coming back to writing and game design. Just not this year. After the cancer treatment is done, I'll reevaluate where we are at. If fans like you take that time and use it to playtest the new classes, that's great.

The Engineer is Countblanc's, so he may or may not have time to make some adjustments or revisions - I don't want to speak for him.

Not to pry too much but is that going well?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What he said, depending on how open he is to playing multiple characters it might be ok, but I find outside of the combat, the skill system is mostly there to facilitate funny role play.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How mechanically would you guys control the rules for someone hulking-out out of combat?
Like using a bending skill as a hulk form.

In-combat is easy because You just make them a shapeshifter, but out of combat seems more difficult to do without just telling your player that they don't get to use half of their skills half of the time.

...I guess if they wanted to play that, they could choose that as a flaw, but I didn't know if there was another solution.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right. Strike lacks a universal system for buying access to extraordinary feats outside of combat. If you want to run, say, a superhero game, you're going to have to figure out, by hand, how to balance the various characters with each other.

If you want to duplicate, for example, the MCU Hulk, then you don't need to worry about there being two forms, since the character is just always in the appropriate form for what they want to do and switches back and forth easily. It's just a visual presentation of having two distinct sets of abilities. Bending Bars: say they're Hulked Out for that. Chatting at a bar: looks like Bruce Banner. Then keep that in mind for Twists and Costs, as eth0.n suggests, and maybe encourage them to have a Complication like I Can't Hulk Out Right Now for when they decide they can't use a skill because they don't want to transform.

The hard part is figuring out a fair way for other people to have extraordinary things that only they can do.

I like these solutions. It's not something I'm currently dealing with, but I can see it coming up.

For the game I'm currently running in person, I'm planning on handing out physical cards for the tactical combat section, here is an example of some for my friend's Space Pirate Science Team character, Brock Lobster.

If you guys like the look of these, I can upload the templates in a .zip file.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Here they are, I also included in the Rar:
- The fonts I used (if you're not doing a Nintendo/video game theme, I'd recommend seeking out Humanist 521B instead.)
- The Program and template I used to print the cards.

If you guys make anything super cool with these, please upload so I can oogle and revel in your work!

EDIT: I should note, the summon's basic attack box is moveable, because, even changing the Feegle's attack to the smallest font I was comfortable printing, I found it didn't quite fit.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 9, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I have never used paint.net.

It looks like you just moved the card layer, which would cause the whole thing to appear off-center?

Also, to preserve the corner transparency, I usually save stuff as .png

Edit: a quick google search turned up this link which may be what you're looking for?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It would definitely be ok! I made them magic sized so they could be easily proxied to be used as a handsy.

Also, that's a cool power, I've not done much beyond level 1, is that in the book or did you make it?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh ok, fair enough, as I've said, I haven't run a game past like, level 2 yet, and I can't convince any of my other group members to run this over a d20 system yet.

But soooooonnnnn......

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean I plan to kill him in the first session so that my players know I am a powerful and serious game runner.

Edit: Oh poo poo, that's uh... that's a joke, Cumburgs!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

How close can you get to something like that in Strike with the right skills/kit/class/role combination? I was already thinking maybe the Rogue class could work for the in-combat "I'm not there, I'm actually over here!" stuff, though it wouldn't let her throw enemies into portals or anything like that. Maybe add the Controller role?

Mechanically what is the difference between tossing someone into a portal vs taking them out?

If nothing then there you go, you solved the riddle.

If there is a difference, how do you want to show that?

There's also the magician that has a power involving putting someone in timeout for a turn and a lot of reflavourable forced movement. You could make her a striker for added mobility and lethality?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

(or Duelist/Controller if you're a hilarious, insane person)

please no

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

"Short Range Portals" seems like it could have some really interesting cost and twist TBH, just make sure you and her work out the limitations, maybe as a complication? (Looks like it's a wooden door and I can't make portals through those so, I'll choose to fail for an action point.)

You could also do a "Without Error" version as an trick, possibly with the restriction that she has to have seen the place before? That might be too powerful still.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like if a person's power doesn't let them move through wooden doors or whatever, that's not a complication, it's just a part of the narrative. Like, I wouldn't let someone get an action point out of being unable to use their archery skill to shoot an arrow to the moon. That they would fail at that is a given based on our shared understanding of the game world.

That's a valid point, I was thinking it would be a full power shut down (kryptonite like) vs a lead screen, but either might work in different quantities, and I wasn't clear.

Edit: infact my wording was misleading upon a reread and bad and sorry I suck.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 12, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Related question: I like making up cool equipment, my players like loot. Strike doesn't really care much about that for system math. Does anyone have good examples of special equipment they've had work well in their games? I read the chapter in the book about it and definitely won't try to screw with the system math with unconditional damage reduction or to-hit bonuses or anything like that, but some ideas of what works well would be really helpful.

For Combat (the part I really like to mess around with) I'm always a fan of items that give encounter powers and have a limited number of charges.

The best part is, if you are having trouble coming up with a power, you can always cheat and steal powers from 4e, rebalance them with Strike! math (1 [W] generally being equal to 2 damage for instance) and go hog.

You can even use RandomInCategory and use category: Encounter_powers to generate random loot in a pinch this way, throw a flaw or charge count on it and make it repairable/rechargeable if it works out, or do away with it if it doesn't.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

tell me your Duelist / Controller stories, i want to know what prompted this reaction

Nothing in particular, that just seems like a LOT of shutdown, and I was playing that up for humor.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

I haven't even started playing Strike yet and I like it already. Part of it is that none of my players are particularly interested in doing reskinning themselves, so I volunteered to make them each a custom class/role packet with all of their level-up options renamed and re-described to suit their character concepts. That sounds like a lot of work but I'm having a blast with it. For example, here's the first page of the one I made for my girlfriend's Star Mage.

My dude, might I interest you in some card templates?

Me last page posted:

Here they are, I also included in the Rar:
- The fonts I used (if you're not doing a Nintendo/video game theme, I'd recommend seeking out Humanist 521B instead.)
- The Program and template I used to print the cards.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, they are a ton to of fun to make, though also quite a bit of work. I'm lucky in that our group has a professional illustrator who has offered some free line art and the one I have so far looks rad AF.

Though IDK how that'd go for a weekly game.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Those are pretty rad!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

Thanks! You could do the same thing with the washers by just adding epoxy stickers. I think that's what really makes them pop, though it does also mute the colors a tad. And a sheet of 100 of the 1" ones is under :10bux: on Amazon.

A 1" hole punch also really helps with this process.

This is probably what I'll end up doing for Kit tokens if those get use.
I have a bunch of Heroclix, which work fine for combat Minis, and I have a 3D Printer I'm putting together, which I'm excited about. But I don't have anything planned for Kit tokens so...

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Stupid question, I know, but what's the most consistent way from a PC to apply the grabbed condition? Ideally for a Duelist/Blaster.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Awesome, I may let that player reclass to those if he doesn't like what I built then.

Thank you.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dunno if this is useful to anyone else but:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Here you go.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Because I'm bad at typing AND proof-reading.... Time to fix that.

EDIT:

Printer Friendly.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 28, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I actually... can't believe I missed that, I'll fix it when I get home tonight.

I probably will not change that action line for the same reason that I don't have the skill table: I feel like the skill rules are narrative and loose enough for the GM, or, me in this instance, to clarify that and it not completely big the game down like not knowing what a standard action is.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there any rule of thumb for converting 4e monsters to Strike! monsters? Any pitfalls I should be worried about?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Heck yeah, those look sweet!

I have to fix the reference card at some point.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm very interested in a duel system, the Battle System seems worthwhile too.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd really rather not have more combat abilities that, as a GM, I have to decide to allow or disallow based on the fiction. "Control Undead" on the Necromancer is enough of a headache already.

That was always something that gave me a head scratcher, what's a good rule of thumb for percentage of undead vs other enemies? 1/5th? 1/3rd?

It seems a tough balance between making a class too powerful and too weak, and that would take an inordinate​ amount of time during a session 0.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

FWIW, I enjoy the idea of the Trick Arrow.

I'm also a broken man who enjoys AD&D 2e, so consider this.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Thoughts on these pieces of gear?

EDIT: Characters are level 2, about to be level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Two uses in one encounter. It's Gamma World's ammo rule.