Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Thanks for making that great OP, Count!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you are playing an Archer/Controller, and you use Area Denial while rolling a 3-6, you can slide a creature. Is your area denial effect (the 3x3 zone centered on the target) based around their new position, their old position, or can you choose?

You can choose.

Scyther posted:

So the description for the Mob trait indicates that Mob monsters will often resist or have immunity to certain statuses, without mentioning any specifics, and then seems to imply it's going to depend on the fiction and flavor. I think I kind of understand, but does anyone have examples of how they have applied this in their games or how they would?

e: A few more questions about Mobs:

If 4 PCs are standing inside a 2x2 Mob (unlikely situation I'm sure), do each of them get attacked on the start of their turn? (I assume yes?)

Can these extra attacks be any available attacks, or only basic attacks? (as far as I can tell, RAW would imply any available attack?)

If the Mob can use the extra attack on a burst 1 melee power (in the same example with 4 players inside a 2x2 mob), would it hit all the characters? (I assume yes?)

On opportunities: If a 2x2 Mob moves onto the same square as a player, I understand that this does not grant an opportunity, but what if the Mob (during the same movement or later) moves one space further so that the player is in a different square of the Mob? (I assume no opportunity in this case?)

What if the player moves from one square within the Mob to another? (I assume the mob gets opportunity?)

You're right on all those things, although if the AoE scenario were to arise, that might be a good time for a quick sanity check on whether or not what you are doing makes sense in the fiction.

For the immunity thing, the most obvious example (and I probably should have written it in the game) is grappling. You can't grab a mob of 20 peasants at once unless you're some kind of eldritch horror or a giant squid or something. If you don't like the wishy washy nature of the restriction, just say "can't be grabbed" and you've taken care of the largest dissonance. If you're embracing the intentional vagueness, then many other immobilizing and throwing and forced movement effects are ignored. "I know it would be hilarious, Doug. But you can't throw a swarm of bees at the other swarm of bees."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

bewilderment posted:

An early copy of the rules I once saw had the classes and kits and similar in no apparent coherent sorting way - they weren't alphabetical, or organised by similar style, or anything. Is this still the case in the final release?

Half-true. Everything has some reason for the order it is in and some things got reordered from what you saw.

The backgrounds the one where the lack of ordering sticks out the most. I put them in their order to optimize the layout, since they are very hard to read when they get split over two columns and the empty space looked weird. Alphabetizing would have led to that weird spacing and I would have had to cut a handful of backgrounds that didn't fit. I opted not to cut. Of all the sections, this is the one where I may come to regret my decision, since there are a lot of backgrounds. On the other hand, all the background info gets put onto the character sheet and never referenced again in the book, so it's not a huge deal.

Origins are grouped, and each group is all on one page.

Classes are organized the way they are for a good reason. I keep the most complicated ones for later (summoner and buddies last) and lead with ones that set a template for the others. This is optimizing for learning about classes over optimizing it as a reference, which is in keeping with other decisions I made in writing and organization (e.g. when I totally re-ordered and re-wrote parts of Team Conflict).

Kits are organized the way they are for layout reasons - this way leads to most kits being on one page so you can see all your possible advances without flipping pages, while minimizing empty columns, and also puts the gunslinger closest to the appropriate art.

Roles are alphabetical.

If you are looking at the PDF, there are links to each class, role, and kit in the PDF index.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

Not claiming to know more about it than you, but my opinion is that it should be single-digit dollars. Do not release it for free. Personally, it would require some pretty good word-of-mouth for me to justify $7 for a single class, but I'd pick it up at $3 with no word-of-mouth at all.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'll be charging the same $4 as I do for my other mini-expansions.

Speaking of which, the next one will be out very soon. I ran some friends through the adventure last week and caught a couple of structural issues with the clues that I needed to tweak. Other than that it's basically done.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

MadRhetoric posted:

You know what would be an awesome thing for this system? A squad vs squad wargame option. Like that throwaway squad combat system in FATE Core, but with more tactical depth.
When I was trying to figure out what my stretch goals were, I pitched such a thing to people and their reaction was ehhh. I guess I just pitched it to the wrong people. The thing is already partway designed, so it's a good bet that you'll see it as a mini-expansion sometime.

The idea is that you can play as rival gangs fighting over turf. Each player would play a different gang. Each gang has certain classes they can use, with the possibility of hiring others. There are different sorts of missions you can run to take land or resources from your rivals.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Woah, that's pretty sweet. I knew rubies and such weren't expensive, but that is even cheaper than I expected.

Maybe when I'm done saving up to buy a house I can convince my wife that it makes sense to buy gems for my toys.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Scyther posted:

Good point. I don't know much about DriveThruRPG but is there a way to offer something up as a free supplement or extra only to people who've bought the book?

Yes, I believe that is a thing I can do.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Just realized that my last post was perhaps too brief. It is not just a thing I believe is possible, but also a thing I will happily do if you folks were to put them together. That would be awesome!

Putting a bit of thought into it, that would allow me to deliver pregenerated characters for adventures as essentially a small deck of cards, which is pretty cool. One card for non-combat stuff, class features/feats on another, then power cards.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Yesterday in strike.

I (Lewellyn, secret elf prince) with a single hit point remaining, and both of my allies already down, ran up the back of a dying dragon (slow poison) and punched out my arc boss evil twin, in a molten crater outside of the walls of a burning city.

It was a pretty good game of strike.

That's awesome! It's not often that you get a fight that really comes down to the wire and one final roll, but when you do, it's so sweet.

Edit: Hey, this person is looking for players for a Strike! PBP with a Star Wars setting. Just thought someone reading here might be interested.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

So I am SOOOOO glad I just decided to sit down by myself and playtest this adventure's boss battle on my own (in the group playtest of the adventure I did, we didn't end up playing the boss battle because we all wanted to go to bed). One thing about it was super broken, and now it's going to be fixed. Hooray for testing! Now the battle is still nasty hard, but not completely ridiculous.

Controlling 4 characters by myself, plus a titan and its allies, while keeping everything straight without having power cards and poo poo is REALLY HARD. Like, harder than Mage Knight, and I always forget poo poo in Mage Knight.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

:siren: Hooray, the adventure is done!

I just sent out discount codes to Kickstarter and Patreon backers. The rest of you can get it here as soon as it gets approved by drivethru. (You need to wait because some jerk published a rape book without even putting an adult tag on it and now they need to screen things.)

If you want to get all the mini-expansions as soon as they are released with no waiting, you should support me on patreon.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Turing sex machine posted:

Done. I don't suppose it's retroactive?

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

One of Jim's test games I did with him was basically X-Com: Toronto and was pretty cool. I think my character was also one of the first things that exposed the issues with, err, Exposed, and melee.

Yeah, I think my takeaway from Sieben is that letting a character ignore being exposed through a feat or whatever can break things especially if they are a defender who likes sucking up attacks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I think feats that can grant cover or remove exposure can work, but they have to involve some kind of sacrifice.
Yes, this. It is too strong without some sacrifice. I'm interested to see how the paying move points idea works for you guys.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Let's take this outside is basically just impossible to reskin to any non-fantastic setting. I thought about cutting it but in the end I decided I just like it so it gets to stay.

Also, my next major project is going to be a not-XCOM version with classes and stuff to suit that type of setting. Working title: UFO Strike! That will definitely be designed to work with Exposed with a lot fewer melee powers. I think Exposed will still be optional, although it might be the default option. I'll probably have time to get that done in the summer, although I've already started the preliminary work.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

You can still take cover without using Exposed, though. Taking cover is a good idea even in the default rules! Using Exposed means that if you don't take cover, you get wrecked.

That's not really what I associate with Star Wars. But melee attacks (lightsabers) do tend to wreck people who are not themselves wielding lightsabers to defend with.

I'm not saying don't use it, but I am saying that there's a reason it's in the optional rules section instead of in the main text.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

man I want to buy a physical copy of Strike, but buying anything physical from Drivethrustuff is just plain awful, you have to pay a stupidly overpriced amount if you don't want to have to wait potentially almost a month to get what you ordered, really wish you had this available on Lulu or Amazon as well, cause at least you can get a halfway decent shipping rate from them

also is there any difference between the two files you get when you buy the book digitally(Strike.pdf, and Strike_Digital.pdf), cause I'll admit I'm kinda confused about that
I will see what is involved with getting them up elsewhere - I'm not exclusive with drive thru. But no promises on the timeline for that.

I need to fix the digital files. There should only be the one. I thought I replaced one with the other, but I guess I added it instead? I'll fix it by changing them for a version with a typo or two fixed.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I just looked at the feat Beam Blaster. I really like the idea (it's good for miniguns, shotguns, ridiculous anime attacks), but with range 5, you're also missing out on a lot of squares.

To kinda show the comparison, at level 8, an archer's the normal blaster burst is 5x5, and a beam blaster burst is 3x5 and it has to be adjacent.

Normal bursts cover 9, 16 and 25 squares, beam bursts cover 5, 10 and 15 and are forced adjacent. Though, you certainly don't want to go "A beam of length [range]" because then a level 8 beam blaster sniper archer would cover 60 squares.

Maybe there's some other benefit a beam blaster could have, though? +1 damage, blow away low terrain, the option to push enemies?

Edit: How does Blaster work with abilities that create zones around targets, and area effects? If an archer/blaster hit 3 targets with Area Denial, does it create 3 3x3 squares that overlap (I very much doubt this)? Or, like, one large area made up of multiple squares that functions as one zone? Or just one 3x3 zone? Would Explosive Arrow cause 3 instances of start-of-turn explosions?

Would a bombardier make a 3x3 square of 3x3 zones?

The beam blaster feat for a melee character gets you a 3x5 beam adjacent replacing a 5x5 square that must be centered on the user. You sacrifice number of squares for more control over where those squares can go.

For zones, overlapping zones don't stack, but you do end up with a larger area if you hit more than one target. If you get the effect of explosive arrow more than once, then yes, you get multiple explosions out of it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm about 95% certain that is the intention, yes.

Yep. The point of that trait is that the monster may save out of poo poo before suffering from it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Ok, so, you need to "unlock" laser weaponry before you can play an archer? Or do Archers have special upgrades about laser weaponry? Or are you adding additional feats for archers based around laser weaponry?

I think they meant that researching tech is what let's you level up and get encounter powers and such. That's how I took it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

CuddlyZombie posted:

How long is this limited-time? Signed up regardless, for the future stuff.

It'll be until the next one comes out at least. I'll catch up and send you some links as soon as I get home to my spreadsheet.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Hey, I'm planning on doing an online combat test on Roll20 for the Rogue this Wednesday from 9PM to 12 Eastern, and I'm looking for a few more people. The goal would be to get done 3 combats that night. So far I think I have two players each, and ideally we'll run with 4 or 5, (although 3 is okay, too). Any volunteers?

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 24, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Maleketh posted:

I could do Wednesday.

Oh good. I just edited my post to remove all reference to the Friday test because it turns out I already have 4 or 5 people for that, since gourdcaptain is bringing friends for Friday.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Okay, so I've just sent emails or PMs to the lot of you who volunteered for rogue playtesting (Maleketh, homullus, gharbad, count, turing, superstring, gourdcaptain+friends). I've now got 5 players for each day, so we're all full up.

Zarick, I sent you a link to the google doc. If anyone else has their own game on the go and wants to test the Rogue, let me know. I have a couple of requirements: you must test it soon (If tests go well, I'm hoping to have it published in a couple of weeks.) and you must give me feedback!

CaptCommy, I just sent links from Drivethru to my latest Patreon backer, and I assume that's you. Viscardus, that's great to hear - thanks! And you should also have your links by now, too.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 25, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Edit: Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

I'll be changing that anyway. The last time I ran that combat it was on a smaller map with longer-ranged PCs and the players got to phase 2 really fast. Holding you out of range like that was too strong.

I'll swap the trait in question out for another trait.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It was frustrating, but that's ultimately the point of playtesting, discovering those sorts of things.
Yeah, and it gave me a chance to see how rogues do when the fight drags on for ages and you run out of resources. They did about the same overall as other characters - same struggles - so that's good.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Playtest 2 is in the bag. Rogue is looking good, and I have a few tweaks to make from the feedback.

Encounter of death was just as deadly as last time - got a tpk this time, despite making it slightly easier. It was fairly close in the end. One extra heal or a few misses from me early and they might have done it.

Thanks to both teams for helping out! Wednesday team, if you're up for another session, we can do a high-level test next Wednesday to see if I can get levels 5-9 into shape.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Doing layout stuff for the nearly-finished Rogue now. Had a couple of options for the little subtitle that goes under the class name:

Speed is the Essence of War

Fusing Speed with Secrecy

The first is from Sun Tzu. The second is from von Clausewitz. Both seem pretty appropriate. I'm leaning towards the second, but you can also build a rogue with zero stealthy options. Figured I'd throw it out here for opinions.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Man Dancer posted:

I ran a game yesterday (it went really well!), but we didn't figure out how to handle initiative for Team Monster. Do all monsters go on the same initiative? Does each standard monster "slot" (1 standard, 2 goons, 4 stooges) roll its own initiative? Something else?

Each standard monster and up roll their own initiative. For Goons and Stooges I tend to group them for face-to-face games (on Roll20 I roll em all individually and let the initiative tracker handle it).

Bophf posted:

Do monsters use the rules for being Incapacitated or are they simply Taken Out? I saw somewhere that Stooges and Goons just get Taken Out, but I couldn't find anything explicitly saying anything about Standard Monsters and up.

Simply Taken Out when they hit 0.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Hey, I'm brainstorming for a mini-expansion based on survival stories: human against nature. Stories I love like:

Into thin air
Touching the void
The martian
Seveneves
The revenant

I've always been fascinated by this genre - I remember loving the book Hatchet when I read it back in grade school. And it lets me write about two of my favorite places: the Canadian wilderness and outer space.

So under the pretext of helping me work on this expansion, and mainly because I love this stuff, does anyone have any book or movie recommendations in this vein?

Most useful to the game side would be stuff like seveneves where people are struggling for survival as a team, but individual survival stories are great, too, and more common.

They can be fictional, but the best fiction in this genre always leans very heavily on reality (see: the Martian).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I feel bad about triple-posting, but The Rogue is up! And it's awesome! Everyone go check it out and get hype for all the cool stuff it let's you do.

KS/patreon backers should have got their links last night.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Aside from specific powers calling for effects such as movement that doesn't result in Opportunities from select targets only, part of it is probably because things like being Marked can result in Opportunities when Shifting.

Basically this - it lets you get away even if you are Marked. Any other upsides or downsides beyond that are edge cases and probably stuff I didn't think about.

The alternate language I considered was "If you are Marked, end that Status. Shift your speed." That is actually a bit stronger because it lets you then attack without the mark triggering.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Minor thing; I'm using the 2d6 variant in a game I'm running and just realized that the Rogue's pseudo-effects are less likely to happen under those conditions (28% vs 33.3% for poisoner/brawler, 9% vs 16.7% for Backstabber). Fixing Backstabber is pretty easy, simply make it trigger on 10-12 instead of 11-12, this makes it a 17 vs 16.7 which is pretty dang acceptable, but Poisoner and Brawler are a bit more difficult as bumping it from 9-12 to 8-12 means it's now a 42% chance which is quite high!! Any suggestions?

Uh, you could do 9-12 plus double-4's and double-3's if you wanted to get it to exactly 33%. Otherwise, 28% is the closest you will get.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

With a typical set-up, it is quite unlikely to last more than 5 rounds. Odds are it'll last 1-3 rounds. This goes up more if the players keep spending APs to not lose.

Also, I'm going to have to release an errata'd version of the Rogue because of a couple of mistakes (e.g. Vanish still refers to Subtle Shot, which got rolled into Sneak Attack; Throw Sand lacked a target; garotte needs to be melee only) and a couple of improved wordings. Any other issues anyone noticed? I would really prefer not to have to keep changing files on people.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

We did find a degenerate case in a team conflict, where every round for the party our best option was to increase our defense as much as possible and have one person use Targeted Effort. Under those circumstances, there was a tiny chance of our losing if the opposition maxed their roll, and a much more likely chance that we would net a Hit each round and slowly whittle our way to victory.
How many players? The more players, the more viable/cheesy this becomes. At 3p or 4p, assuming the enemies start with a bit of extra Advance (+1 for 3p or +2 for 4p) or some similarly-effective trait, doing it for 3 rounds gives you about a 30% chance of losing in those 3 rounds. The 70% of the time that you pull it off, you end up with an edge, certainly. But overall it's not too strong compared to other strategies.

With 5 or more players, it gets stronger. Also if the opposition doesn't have any extra Advance or any way to make draws hurt, it is stronger than the numbers I suggest.

Overall, I agree that it is too broadly useful - the number of conflicts where it is strong is too large. Maybe Targeted Effort could be tweaked a bit. If you want to test things, try adding a -1D to Targeted Effort and see if that fixes things. It might be too weak at that point, though.

Ideally I think that going strong on defense with a targeted effort to take out a key enemy trait for a round is a perfectly good idea and makes sense in the fiction. The problem only arises when it gets spammed every round.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ratpick posted:

So, last session my players stole a car from the time police only to summarily crash it in dinosaur times. Now they're stranded in a weird prehistorical time and need to find a way to fix their time car's power source. With crystals, of course.

We decided to go with the Chrono Trigger version of prehistory, so it's a weird world where dinosaur-riding lizardmen are caught in a constant war with prehistorical humans who have pretty much every brand of mammalian megafauna on their side.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be needing a lot of dinosaurs and prehistorical animals as monsters for next session, in addition to the more traditional humanoid opponents. What would be some good ways to reskin the sample monsters as prehistorical animals?

I was already thinking that the T-Rex (because of course there's going to be a T-Rex) could be an Elite or Champion Horror upgraded to 2x2 size, so they'd basically have a lot of fear-based attacks because, uh, they have a terrifying roar or something? Then of course using the Striker as normal for raptors and such, and maybe a larger Brawler for an ankylosaurus/pretty much any dinosaur that can do sweeping tail attacks.

All other suggestions would be appreciated!

pachycephalosaurus = charger
Titanoboa = elite grappler
Plenty of dinos could be brutes, e.g. stegosaurus throwing folks around with her tail
Pterosaurs could pick people up and drop them as a modified flying grappler
Sauropods could be more like hazards forcing you to move or get stomped rather than regular enemies
A pack of smaller raptor varieties could use the Mob trait.
Certainly there is room for a sneaky dinosaur - maybe a raptor variant like a dromeosaurus or something.
A lizardman in charge of a pack of smaller dinos would be an obvious choice for Packmaster.

If you want to take some fictional license, you could fill out some other types:
You could go the Michael Crichton route and have a venom-spitting dilophosaurus for a ranged enemy.
You could say that parasaurolophus' horn could be used to direct, warn and inspire other dinos and make her a leader.
You could have giant mosquitos as drainers.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

The Gate posted:

So, I'm a sucker for tactical combat in games, so I picked this up, along with the Rogue. Looking at the Rogue, is it intended to be hidden often, or only occasionally? Outside the encounter powers, it seems like you could take two moves with the sneaky feat and be hidden, then pop out again to attack if needs be. Workable, but not always practical, which makes sense since you can get advantage other ways too. Just wanted to make sure there's not some obvious mechanic I'm missing.

Also the Vanish encounter power at level 3 references Subtle Shot, which I don't see anywhere in the Rogue book. Is it from the main book, or was it something that got cut/renamed?

Yeah, Subtle Shot got rolled into Sneak Attack, so that should say Sneak Attack. There are a couple of other minor errors I mentioned a few posts up. I'll be releasing an updated PDF in a day or two - I've just been waiting for a chance to give it a solid once-over myself to make sure I've caught all the changes I want to make.

As for the hiding thing, the idea is that if you pick the sneaky encounter powers, then you can often be hidden, but not always. With fights typically lasting 4 rounds or so (even in longer fights, the first 4 rounds are usually decisive), with Vanish and Creep Off, plus Sneak Attack, you can probably manage to be hidden for 2 or 3 of those rounds. On your other turns, you have other ways to try get Advantage.

If you don't pick the sneaky encounter powers, then you may never even bother hiding, since you're not really much better at it than anyone else. You can very easily build a rogue who doesn't care about sneaking at all. The playtest saw all sorts of rogues, with most of them were not-sneaky varieties.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad hasn't chimed in, but he had a ridiculous sprinter defender rogue whose mobility kept him out of trouble while using Trap and marking to put enemies in no-win situations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

So I'm working on the next expansion. It'll be all about items. Lots of items for various genres. Optional expanded item-crafting rules.

Any requests? What else would you like to see in an expansion like this?

Also, if you have cool item ideas that you used in your game (or that you imagine using in your imaginary game with your imaginary friends) and want me to use them, post them here or send them to me (covering my rear end: by doing so, you will be consenting to my publishing them - I will credit you).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Superstring posted:

Some kind of framework for getting components off enemies to make items or craft upgrades/short term buffs.

Now, you can fluff it as some kind of salvaging mechanic, but I know what I'll want to do with it...

Where is that from? I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

Hey Jim, I got the emails for Rogue and the updated Rogue, but something went a bit funky with the Rogue and it never got added to my account, so I can't actually download the updated Rogue. I'm a huge dumbo and don't know what to do from here :(

Send me an email (jmcgarva@gmail.com) and I'll get you a new discount code. If that doesn't work, I can email you the PDF directly tonight.