Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Do any of y'all run PbP strike, or other forms of online play? I read through the free version of the rules and it really sounds like something I'd enjoy. I think this might be a better system for running shadowrun than the shadowrun system.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shadowrun is very comprehensive, but my major beef with it is that as soon as someone wants to jack in or go astral or have a car chase the game grinds to a halt. Having the decker just be a guy that hacks the enemy during combat and has Opens Locks Good / Finds Data Good skills would make a world of difference.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is that the Star Wars strike game? That sounds rad. How's it going?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Anyway, I bought the rules today and I'd be happy to sit in on someone's roll20 game if there's anything going on. I'd love to see the game from a player's perspective before I have to run it myself.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Buddies powers that prompt an attack from your Buddy with role boosts all have a Melee indicator, but one of the Buddy qualities is 'Range 5'. Would I be correct in assuming that these powers are treated as range 5 attacks when used on a Buddy with this quality? I'm envisioning a rigger with a gatling gun quadcopter drone.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

As long as we're discussing pregens, I may as well post the shadowrunners I made last week to give the character creation rules a spin.

Street Name: Fridge
Background: Biker Ganger
Origin: Troll
Skills: Lifting, Bending, Burglary, Grafitti, Blunt Instruments, Racketeering, Intimidation, Botany, Gansters [connections]
Complications: Too Big! - I Don't Do Computers
Tricks: Breaks down doors - Spooks normies
Class: Duelist
Role: Defender

Street Name: Clippy
Background: Corporate Decker
Origin: Ork
Skills: Handguns, Sneaking, Google Fu, Access, Coding, Editing, Forgery, Shadowland [connections]
Complications: Repressed Dark Side - Fear of Dogs
Tricks: Always Finds the Paydata - Knows How to Bullshit a Suit
Class: Warlord
Role: Leader

Street Name: Lamia
Background: Paramilitary Adept
Origin: Elf
Skills: Sneaking, Climbing, Swords, Shotguns, Mythology, Interrogation, Squad Command, Paramilitary [connections]
Complications: Elven Superiority - Inexplicable Heels
Tricks: Knows Where to Stash the Bodies - Always Makes the Jump
Class: Martial Artist
Role: Blaster

Street Name: Caldera
Background: Wage Mage
Origin: Human
Skills: Spellcraft, Cantrips, Research, Chemistry, Geometry, Astral Perception, Talismonger [connections]
Complications: Fiery Temper - Blinded by Privilege
Tricks: Light Up the Darkness - Identify Magical Item Purpose
Class: Bombardier
Role: Striker

Street Name: Tanuki
Background: Vagrant Shaman
Origin: Dwarf
Skills: Conjuring, Foraging, Sneaking, Drunking, Hoboglyphs, Tracking, Casing the Joint, Persuasion, City Spirits [connections]
Complications: Gimme a Boost! - Tippler
Tricks: Read the Omens - Lost in a Crowd
Class: Summoner
Role: Controller

Street Name: Search // Rescue
Background: Rigger Pilot // Quad Copter
Origin: Human
Skills: Piloting, Driving, Haggling, Repair, Rifles, First Aid, EMT [connections]
Complications: Catholic Guilt - Haven't Had My Coffee
Tricks: Know Your Airspace - Color Changing Paint
Class: Buddies
Role: Striker

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 21, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ooh, okay, lemme think:

How about a battle with pacman borders

A battle where there's another you that's always exactly where you were last round and you attack together / share damage

A battle that is played completely backwards, starting from when the last enemy dies, and the players must 'un-fight' them to escape the time anomaly

A battle that takes place in 2 dimensions, represented by a battlefield that's just a single row of squares

A battle wherein any character adjacent to another character takes immediate and/or ongoing damage (everyone is a damage zone)

A battle where every character has an 'allowance' of turns but they can be spent by anyone in any order (alternating friendly/enemy)

A battle where initiative order boomerangs instead of starting from the top

A battle where everyone controls someone else's character

edit: also can I say that your game sounds rad and I want to play.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 2, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Running my first game of this in about an hour and a half. I'm nervous, because I've never played before - but I've got the cheat sheets in front of me and a bunch of general plot ideas that aren't so specific they cant twist off. Here goes nothing!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That went great! I ran a game of Shadowrun using the strike system, and the experience of running it was SO much better than using the shadowrun rules. It's a wonderful setting, but the shadowrun system is an overly clunky pile of complicated subsystems that don't mesh well. Using strike let me gloss over the nitty gritty details that would bog down a normal game, and keep the plot moving at a brisk pace.

The cast:
HoneyB, a Buddies Defender drone rigger with a swarm of robotic bees hardwired into her control rig. Keeps the bees in a cello case.
Zip, a Martial Artist Controller street sam with a taser and a budget monofilament whip (it has like 3 filaments)
Starfall, a Warlord Leader troll decker who is the disowned heiress to renraku corporation. For whatever reason her matrix avatar is an elven cowboy.

some pics of our tokens

The runners started off investigating the disappearance of corporate Novatech accountant Marc Schaumberg, who went missing during a critical deal (he was involved in running projections for a big recall). They were tasked to bring him in before he could seek shelter with another corp. They investigated his apartment, hacked into his cyberterminal and traced his purchase history to reveal a bunch of recent purchases in the Ballard area lately, including about 8 transactions at a Stuffer Shack on hawkins street. This led them to Ballard, where they checked a few of the bars he'd been frequenting, and learned that he'd been racking up huge tabs and debts with some local gangers. They eventually had a run in with some Halloweeners that led to an introductory firefight at the Stuffer Shack.

The fight went pretty smoothly despite a few places where we had to pass the books/ipads around to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. They fought off the gangers and saved the cashier's life, who told them everything she knew about Schaumberg and pointed him in the direction he always left in. Combing the area, they eventually found his body in a dumpster outside a coffin motel. They were just about to send an email to Mr Johnson that the body had been found when the decker turned on the commlink on his body - and saw a popup that they were now logged in in two different locations - and a prompt asking whether they wanted to log off the other account or not. Before she could do anything, she got logged out.

The plot thickens!

So they investigate further, and track down another location nearby that had been in his purchase history - a Matrix cafe named CyberNation. The Decker and Rigger try various drone-and-matrix based investigative techniques while the Street Sam sits around playing videogames on his comm. Eventually it is the Sam who, through casual conversation with some video-game-playing kids, hears about the secret 'migration' services that the cafe offers. It is at this point that he realizes that CyberNation is actually spelled 'Cibernation', and that Schaumberg has downloaded himself onto the matrix.

This leads to an amazing discussion about how to find him, ending up with the runners simply texting Marc Schaumberg (a number they've had all along) and telling him that the jig is up and that they know everything. After a very tense minute, the 'writing message' ellipsis appear, and they get a text saying "Who the hell are you".

They eventually meet him in the matrix (at a second-life-style leisure server called Morningtime Beach) where they confront his anime dog-man avatar and tell him they were sent by novatech to bring him in. This leads to a chase scene IN the matrix, where they no-clipped through the ground, the ocean and beyond into car-boys-style fields of infinity in pursuit, until Schaumberg made a risky dive for an open port and skewed his avatar into a jiggling mess. Having captured him, they learn about his plan to defraud life insurance and his debtors - and that it had nothing to do with the recall. They learn that the recall is for the X8 datajack that can be overloaded to rupture in the user's head, and the depressing fact that a metahuman life is worth exactly 1183.45 nuyen in the calculations.

After a moral/philosophical discussion, they eventually extort some money from Schaumberg to tell Novatech that he's dead (enough to cover the bonus for bringing him in alive and more). The decker goes into Schaumberg's code to fix his jumbled avatar, and (rolling a twist) discovers in his code the contract that he signed - including the fact that all of the information in his head now technically belongs to Cibernation and its affiliates.

SO - they got paid plenty, but schaumberg is still alive out there, and they could get into deep deep poo poo if Cibernation's parent company Renraku ever figures out what information they're sitting on. Also, the street sam has an X8 datajack.

There are so many aspects to the game that I loved - players were excited to be able to help define the universe with their knowledge checks and narrative input (and opened the door to a lot of fun futurama-style jokes, like that in the future there are only Left Twix). The chase mechanics were fast and fun, and anyone who's played shadowrun before would know that trying to do a chase in the matrix would be headachingly impossible. I think this might be the system that setting has been waiting for all along.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 7, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So if cash parcels have levels just like purchases do, does that mean 20 level one cash parcels is effectively a level two cash parcel?

It seems like this is what my players intend to do, but wouldn't it just be more efficient to roll for it at wealth 1 and then use a level one parcel to recover from being short? Am I misreading something, or is the discrepancy supposed to be balanced by the risk of getting flaws? If you get twist + flaw and you choose not to break the bank, do you still get a flaw somehow? Are you then unable to make more wealth rolls for the item in question? Or can you just try again next session?

I haven't given out any real loot yet, but my players have accrued about 12 level 1 cash parcels between the three of them so far. You're a lot more likely to buy your gear than find it in a cyberpunk game, so I want to make sure I understand the logistics of how items are distributed before I give them a chance to go shopping.

edit: so far, the only purchase a player has made is the Rigger spending one cash parcel to get some work done on her vespa. I told her she could roll on the Aggressive Actions table during the team conflict motorcycle race they got into without having a Biking skill for it.

edit: also what the heck are buffer points? The warlord can give them out but I can't find any other reference to them.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 27, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thank you!! I knew I had read that 5X = X+1 rule somewhere but I kept going to the section on wealth near the start and not being able to find it.

Rolling against wealth to accrue items is such an alien concept to me still - but it makes more sense when I think of it as also representing the availability of the item, and the costs associated to finding it. I think I'm going to introduce it to my players with a trip to the Puyallup Crime Mall after they're done clearing devil rats and malfunctioning security robots from the abandoned industrial park. (running my first boss encounter against a toxic spirit next session!)

This game is my absolute jams, by the way

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Quick question - Stooges have 1 less damage on all their attacks / effect line than regular monsters, but what if the normal attack only deals 1 damage? For instance, a Blaster Stooge attacks with Blast. (1 damage 2 ongoing) Does he

a) deal 0 damage for the attack, 1 ongoing damage for the effect

or

b) deal 1 damage for the attack, 1 ongoing damage for the effect?

edit: countblanc helped me out with this, thanks cb

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is ongoing damage supposed to stack? One of my players has been using a lot of scorpion stance attacks.

So far I've been ruling that it does but all of a character's ongoing damage will go away with a single successful save.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm still a bit confused.

DEFENDER / BUDDIES / SUPER BUDDY

so the buddy is the source of the defender's Role Actions, but defense and stickiness boosts apply only to the primary character.

Mark is a role action that is granted as part of the "Stickiness Boost" rules. Does that mean it counts as a boost, and can only be used by the primary character, or can it only be used by the Buddy, because it is a Role action?

edit: after reading more, I am inclined to think that the mark granted by Stickiness Boost is unique to the primary character, because I see that one of the active effects for a buddy (focused) marks the enemy as its active effect, and that active effect wouldn't be as useful if you could mark them as a role action anyways. Am I right in thinking this? But she CAN also use Come And Get It to apply "marked by [buddy]" too.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 3, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Are there still plans for a book with more items and monsters in it? I've found that most of all i've been having trouble coming up with loot that interests my players without making them stronger in combat.

I also would love to see more variations on the generic enemies like Brawler, Grappler, Sniper, etc. I'm still pretty gun-shy about making my own monsters.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, gear as a form of off-class powers seems to work alright, if you keep it weak-ish.

My game's decker wanted to deal area damage, so I let her buy a duffel bag full of surplus grenades. It's a 5 range burst 1 damage 2 attack with no effect. She can use it once per encounter, or use it a second time and discard the equipment. It has Flaw: Mislabeled, meaning on a twist the grenade she threw was Not A Frag Grenade.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 16, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Someone should run a game of this and invite me to play in it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It looks like one of my friends is interested in playing a Bombardier Defender. Am I correct in assuming that the healing from Defense Boost would only proc once per attack? Or is it intended for them to be able to regain more than 1 hit point for hitting multiple targets?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh wow, somehow I'd never parsed that - so since the zone is the effect, that means that it wouldnt even happen on a 1-2. Somewhere between the ammo type/shaped blasts I misconceived that your attacks counted as a Burst, like with the Blaster. Not so! This helps me understand the difference between the class and the role much better.

Thanks, Jimbo. Thimbo

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 7, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh - I could use one more clarification, while it's on my mind...

Blasters can shift their melee burst attacks by 1 square for every square of reach they have. Since the default reach is 1, that means you can shift the burst one square without having any reach-granting modifiers - Is this correct?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hi, sorry to keep bugging you for rules questions - I'm making a bunch of monsters, and I want to make sure I'm valuing the attack effects correctly.

'1 Ongoing Damage' is a tier one effect. Changing an effect from one round to (save ends) increases its tier by one. That means '1 Ongoing Damage (save ends)' is tier 2, right? Or does '1 Ongoing Damage' already imply (save ends) because that's part of what ongoing damage is?

Does the tier 1 Ongoing damage effect only last until the end of the target's next turn?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm prepping a big batch of monsters for the campaign I'm starting in a week or two, I'd love it if anyone would like to take a look and give me some feedback.

I'm making these to match some miniatures I've painted up, so I tried to design them to be scalable to level - I'd like to get as much use out of each mini as I can.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 11, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Good catch! Scovillain is the only one that's an unmodified template from the book, because all the powers already matched up to my fire imp miniature pretty well. I'll copy that verbage into the phoenix's fireball.

I absolutely do like goblin not being exempt from his own net though.

What do people think of Solar Flare? I liked the idea of having some big telegraphed attacks mixed in to the elites and champions, but I don't want to go overboard. The phoenix would probably be the centerpiece of any combat that included it (and i have a fun adventure idea for a Phoenix Pot Pie order that would become a huge hassle as it emerges fully formed several times during the cooking process)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 13, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I realize that the vast majority of this thread's recent posts have been by me, but my new strike game started a couple days ago and I can effort-writeup a summary of the setting/first session if people are interested in such a thing.

It is a homebrew setting loosely based on the show Chowder with a smack of post-fantasypocalypse snes charm

e: right then :smith:

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 26, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've posted a writeup of the first session over in the cat-piss thread for interested parties. Game description starts here.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If a goon has a threshold of 4, that means it has to take 5 damage in a single hit to be instantly downed. Is that right?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks, it definitely struck me as weird. The only goon listed in the monster area has 4 listed as its hp so I figured I should check.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, it's nice to hear there's good news :unsmith:

I would be thrilled to help playtest something on roll20 if someone else is running it.

(I also would be down to do some strike art if you needed more stuff for a book. PM me if that's ever a thing you need.)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DeadReed posted:

Running a Strike! cyberpunk game on Roll20 if anyone's interested: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/127674/kazei-5-do-you-believe-in-gun

That's wiz, i submitted some of my dumb shadowrunner ideas. I'm in another weekly roll20 game so i'm not sure how well it'll line up with my schedule but I am definitely interested in this.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's dope as gently caress

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm confused what the point of Separated at Birth is. If you want to be separate, why not just pick the other classes?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What are people going to buy with the money

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's rad, dude. I just finished up my megaman strike one-shot on roll20 last night. Ours was early megaman though, set in 20X3

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'd fucks with that game ^

In my game, the five Robot Helpers (fridge man, yard man, vac man, signal man and boiler man) saved their creator Dr Vatios and his daughter Martina from a the-purge-style home invasion of classic megaman enemies. He was so grateful for his rescue that he freed them all and declared them the very first Robot Masters. It was cute.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 7, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Moriatti posted:

It'll be me trying PBP, so you can if you would like!

Cool, what I gotta do

Pollyanna posted:

Naw I mean like, video or audio of people playing the game.

I tried to get one of my friends who is a streamer to play in the megaman strike but my game didn't align with his schedule :(

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh man, there's a lot to unpack there. It seems like it would be tough to create 3 pieces of special equipment for a new character, as your class/role abilities already need definition in terms of what equipment you're using. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that cyber elves would 'modify stats', because there aren't traditional stats in this game. What is a pseudo-droid? I played the zero series and some of zx but not zx advent.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You can use assess as free reminder text even if the information is already player-facing. I've had people ask about hit points on enemies that had already-known quantities of hit points. People will have assess questions to burn in most fights, because there's not always an applicable role action.

I have a few character ideas, do you have a thread somewhere?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The main thing on my Strike wishlist is still a collection of rewards/gear with cash parcel values. Something for me to extrapolate from when i'm designing stuff.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

second version would theoretically apply to friendly forced movement, would it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've had some trouble wrapping my head around the team conflict subsystem, but all my players love the quick + decisive chase rules.