Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's been a while since I've paid any attention to the BJP (used to have an outspoken Indian coworker who would bitch about them all the time), but they never really seemed worse/different from other nativist parties like the Republicans in America or the Front National in France -- they are all part of a super creepy trend based on people reacting to the effects of neoliberalism. It adds an extra wrinkle since my coworker thought they would be a lot more willing to escalate conflict with Pakistan which adds a lot of corn kernels to this particular poo poo sandwich. But I'm not sure the west really can or should do anything. As an American, I would have been fine with an international coalition having prevented Bush from taking office but most people don't share that view. In fact, bush's unpopularity with the rest of the world (especially continental western Europe) was used as a selling point in the 2004 election. I imagine foreign meddling would strengthen rather than weaken the BJP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This is a view I haven't heard before. Talk to me like I'm a total ignoramus since 90% of my view comes from a clearly biased source and the other 10% comes from what passes for international news coverage in the US.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sure. So, do you want to provide an alternative narrative or do you want to be smug about it?

• Locked thread