Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ronya posted:

Blaming the "foreign hand" for assorted ills has a long and storied history in India, and the specific focus on funding speaks to old anti-capitalist anxieties (compare e.g. being accused of un-American or un-Islamic sympathies; in some other countries, merely being mercenary is a lesser rather than a greater threat)

India certainly does have rich countries and individuals interested in influencing its politics, although the choice of alleged illegitimate involvement varies. When Indira Gandhi was railing against the foreign hand (again: not unreasonably, given the assassinations and the US/Chinese/Sri Lanka-aligned conflicts), Soviet money was excepted from such condemnation.

Such subjective enforcement means that attackong foreign funding is not apolitical. However, it is also not new to Indian politics.

Hey I don't have much to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say I appreciate your posting in it and I hope you keep it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread