Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

lavaca posted:

Snowshoes are better in rough terrain with a lot of climbing. We have plenty of that in Western Washington. I'd probably take up skiing instead if I lived further east.

We get alot of snow when it snows in the mtns in WA.

Snow shoeing is fun for n-one, but it gets you up the mountain when there is 20"+ of new powder. Try postholing for even 800 meters without them.

If it's flat ski, if it's got hills you are snow shoeing your rear end up the hill.

Also snowshoe rigging tips? I tend to purposefully rig myself extreme outward facing so I can half jog across the snow without trippuing over myself, less contact the better you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

lavaca posted:

Buy a pair of $250 MSR or Tubbs snowshoes for $80 from someone who bought them after reading in the Huffington Post that snowshoeing burns a lot of calories. Don't worry, they'll only have been used once ("I didn't realize burning 600 calories an hour would actually be so strenuous!").

Do this except with all your gear. Rich bored people are good at over researching and spending on their gear for a single weekend backback trip.

REI garage sales are also your friend, picked up a pair of Scarpa boots for 60$ last weekend.

• Locked thread