Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I like snowshoeing. Some reasons why it is fun:

1. You get to trample as many fragile alpine meadows you want. Take that, meadow restoration area.
2. Forest roads are pretty scenic when they're buried in snow and you can pretend you're just walking through a clearing in the woods.
3. If you've been snowshoeing more than twice, you are probably the most experienced person on the mountain.
4. Animal tracks count as wildlife sightings, right?
5. The first time I ever went snowshoeing, I stumbled upon the ski resort's cache of explosives right in the middle of the marked snowshoeing area.

Do you like snowshoeing or are you that rear end in a top hat who keeps postholing in the snowshoe trails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Snowshoes are better in rough terrain with a lot of climbing. We have plenty of that in Western Washington. I'd probably take up skiing instead if I lived further east.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

What's the cheapest snowshoe that is worth a damm? I want to mess around with them but would realistically only get to use them like once or twice a year.

Buy a pair of $250 MSR or Tubbs snowshoes for $80 from someone who bought them after reading in the Huffington Post that snowshoeing burns a lot of calories. Don't worry, they'll only have been used once ("I didn't realize burning 600 calories an hour would actually be so strenuous!").

• Locked thread