Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

is still wide open. Like in Pokemon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

This almost never happens to me because if possible I always obsessively complete all the side quests before finishing the main quest

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerkops posted:

This almost never happens to me because if possible I always obsessively complete all the side quests before finishing the main quest

Yeah I always play RPG games on the highest difficulty so I need to do all the side quests so my noob rear end doesn't get wrecked.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This feel can apply to the moments like in Pokemon Crystal, or other ones like that where after you beat the Elite 4 there's still a whole new map where there's no big story thing going on but you can go get those 8 badges if you want. For example.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah, I love when the map opens up and you have a ton of poo poo to explore. those are some fine feels

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What I've seen of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks seems like a whole game about that feel where your living in a world where Link already vanquished the most evil force in the world so now there's only small fry evil guys trying to pop some poo poo off but it's not that big of a deal so mostly you just become a boat captain or a train engineer.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
The feel after you complete the major goals of a game level and all the npcs and level challenges disappear leaving the level and empty, lifeless husk

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

no they will not posted:

The feel after you complete the major goals of a game level and all the npcs and level challenges disappear leaving the level and empty, lifeless husk

Sounds like my marriage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Sounds like my marriage.

:mrgw:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jerkops posted:

I only do this in GTA.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

This feel is comparable to starting NG+ in a souls game, since the world is repopulated and you get to see all your old friends again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when i beat dragons dogma and poo poo got really real i was compelled to go further. more games should do that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this even though you cannot gasme on a mac

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The feel after you complete the major goals of a game and all the npcs develop a horrible stutter

Looking at you Morrowind (you still rule though)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ummm, Morrowind is AIDS from a diabetes wolf's rear end.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

Maybe so but I like it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hell, I love AIDS!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wormskull posted:

No u

On a more serious note, if you make a game where you are locked out of any content (or re-visiting your file at all) after beating the game you should be slapped in the face. Let me go back and replay the final mission/battle, or cavort around with my awesome character(s) dammit

VV Fine mom

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 5, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

C-Euro posted:

On a more serious note, if you make a game where you are locked out of any content (or re-visiting your file at all) after beating the game you should be slapped in the face. Let me go back and replay the final mission/battle, or cavort around with my awesome character(s) dammit

dont edit quotes

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I always make it a point to do most if not all of the side quest stuff before completing the main story because even though there's still more stuff to do I can't really get into completing side stuff once I'm done with the main game. It's a purely mental thing but I can't help it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm the opposite. I pretty much always mainline story material and then if I like the game, will go back and mess around with side stuff so I can play more. Well i guess it depends on the games structure, like JRPGs I take a while because I like to wander around all the new areas and check stuff out

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna 100% xenoblade x and I'm on the last chapter but I'm at 60 hours and only 66% done. Wish me luck.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hte bittersweet feel most n64 games attained by not resetting after the credits until you yourself hit reset, never allowing you to play in a world where you achieved victory

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

ArfJason posted:

hte bittersweet feel most n64 games attained by not resetting after the credits until you yourself hit reset, never allowing you to play in a world where you achieved victory

the feel when you sit there waiting for it to move on for like twenty minutes because you dont understand how life works yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

This made me mad in paper Mario because i thought my game was broken

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I was a gamer of the new game+ generation when i first finished sm64 and oot and was like ah ok

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't like the NG+ feel as much as the wandering through a conquered world feel.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah it was super weird to not see any sort of ackniwledgement from either game for killing the final enemy it just ends

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I don't like the NG+ feel as much as the wandering through a conquered world feel.

Dragon Quest is the best for this since there's still a lot to discover and postgame areas to explore with Savage Bosses

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Yeah it was super weird to not see any sort of ackniwledgement from either game for killing the final enemy it just ends

I love when that happens, and then your released back into the world where you can pretend all the evil stuff still left is leaderless and chaotic. Win..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When you beat Yakuza you unlock a mode called like Wandering Soldier or somethin which dumps you into the open world with 0 side quests cleared and you can wander around and do them again if you want, or see any you missed the first time around, which is a bizarre way to do it.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

That feel in Chrono Trigger where you beat Lavos and the NG+ option appears

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Earthbound's 'victory lap' remains one of the cooler things about that game, seeing how your friends are doing in the new peaceful world you made one last time before you go to bed and end the adventure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

Earthbound's 'victory lap' remains one of the cooler things about that game, seeing how your friends are doing in the new peaceful world you made one last time before you go to bed and end the adventure.
I think Mario RPG would have done well with this.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
in metroid zero mission when you break the tube glass in the space pirate ship and get to go back to zebes with all your cool new final powerups felt really good. just running around that whole map was fun.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
undertale, op

Fluo
May 25, 2007

alpha protocol had some fun new dialogue options in ng+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ArfJason posted:

My.roommate and I left the SNES on for like a week when we beat SMW to keep our accomplishment on display.

• Locked thread