Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I never played any Souls games and wasn't really interested in Bloodborne at all after watching some videos of people playing it, but I finally picked it up for like $15 at Best Buy a couple months ago and I ended up liking it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Similarly, I never got very far in Dark Souls 1 & 2 (despite multiple attempts), but ended up beating Bloodborne and most of its extra content. Something about its faster combat and more directed/focused level design helped me get my head around it.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

If you're still thinking about it a very good LP of Bloodborne has just finished.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736613&perpage=40&pagenumber=21

Worth watching regardless but definitely worth it if you're on the fence for getting it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gonna be another dude to echo an experience of really not getting into Dark Souls (despite enjoying Demons) but really enjoyed Bloodborne and all of its extra content. The faster combat and focus on aggression on the player's part really set it apart imo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Renoistic posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

I'm really curious what connection you saw between the gameplay in a game like DMC and the gameplay in Souls.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm another one who doesn't really enjoy Demon's/Dark Souls despite having finished them all except for 3, with my primary complaint being that the slower pace and defensive nature of the gameplay didn't really click with me, so it's pretty easy to see why Bloodborne appeals to me so strongly: getting up in everyone's grundles and ripping their hearts out with my bare hands.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt think Doom was all that good. I think alot of the hype is the nostalgia behind original doom. I mean yeah its decent and fast but it just feels like every other shooter out there

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm really curious what connection you saw between the gameplay in a game like DMC and the gameplay in Souls.

I meant Bloodborne, not the other Souls games. It's pretty superficial I guess, but I got the impression Bloodborne is more fast paced than the others, focusing on aggressiveness and heavy use of invincibility frames.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Empress Brosephine posted:

i didnt think Doom was all that good. I think alot of the hype is the nostalgia behind original doom. I mean yeah its decent and fast but it just feels like every other shooter out there

:nyd:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If every other shooter felt like Doom it wouldn't have been so highly praised.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Renoistic posted:

I meant Bloodborne, not the other Souls games. It's pretty superficial I guess, but I got the impression Bloodborne is more fast paced than the others, focusing on aggressiveness and heavy use of invincibility frames.

I can see that, I guess. I will say, though, you definitely can play those other Souls games like that. It's just not the 100% intended way to play them like it is with Bloodborne.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As someone who never touches shields in a Souls game, the regain system in BB makes playing aggressively way more viable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

As someone who never touches shields in a Souls game, the regain system in BB makes playing aggressively way more viable.

You're right. I was just pointing out that it's a valid way of playing the other games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Also, you literally get bathed in the blood of your enemies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

If you didn't like DeS or DaS you probably won't like Bloodborne.

This is kinda BS.

Renoistic posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

I tried the other souls games but never got into them. Bloodborne isn't really like the other souls games, it's much more distilled, and has a maniac level passion-project vibe to it. There's no better way to get into the series, but there's also no other game like Bloodborne, which you'll discover if you try to play the other games afterwards.

Bloodborne is a miracle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's possible to like Bloodborne and not DS.

A friend of mine is that way because they like DS's gameplay but find the aesthetic incredibly boring. On the other hand they like Bloodborne's design as much as the gameplay.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They should try DS3, I'm playing it at the moment and a lot of the levels feel very Bloodborne-like

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They should try DS3, I'm playing it at the moment and a lot of the levels feel very Bloodborne-like
A lot of it has the feel of Bloodborne, particularly the vast majority of enemies that attack really quickly only there's no loving poise and no regain so a dog is the toughest enemy in the game.

DS3 is the only game I've not even touched the DLC for. I have platinum trophies in all of them but I have no real desire to go back to DS3. It's half baked.

Edit: the NPC stuff and different endings/quests was really good, though, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk44T0xL_xA

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 30, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's possible to like Bloodborne and not DS.

A friend of mine is that way because they like DS's gameplay but find the aesthetic incredibly boring. On the other hand they like Bloodborne's design as much as the gameplay.

You sort of nailed it here, for me at least. Dragons and castles just don't do anything for me, even though I can acknowledge that From does that theme better than everyone else.

But the whole nightmare aesthetic of BB, the tools, mechanisms and exaggerated styles, the overwhelming repulsiveness of the beast scourge, and the mind-bending conclusions the game comes to (which everyone is telling you to not think too hard about for, your own good)...it's just on another level for me.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Can't tell if this should be in the PS4 thread, store thread, or game thread.

I was going to pick up The Division during the sale for $25. I need to go into a store next to a Gamestop and they are advertising it for $12. Does the PSN sale version include any of the DLC or such? I can't really tell from the store page, but that looks like a good enough reason to visit a storefront.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can you post a link?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/tom-clancy%e2%80%99s-the-division/cid=UP0001-CUSA01810_00-THEDIVISION00001

Doesn't look like it

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you post a link?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/tom-clancys-the-division/129002

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the one on PSN is just the base game so you could just get that in GameStop then buy the season pass or DLC separately on PSN

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
drat, Odin Sphere 2.0 is freaking dope. Did the original have all of these mini bosses too? I don't remember them, and I definitely don't remember the combat being nearly this good. This is definitely the ideal version of this game, and it's kind of a pity they couldn't have done it this good the first time around.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

drat, Odin Sphere 2.0 is freaking dope. Did the original have all of these mini bosses too? I don't remember them, and I definitely don't remember the combat being nearly this good. This is definitely the ideal version of this game, and it's kind of a pity they couldn't have done it this good the first time around.

So Odin Sphere is worth buying sight unseen or is it rough early gen gameplay?

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nope! Leifthrasir added a handful of new mini bosses, as well as overhauled some level layouts/inventory/food/etc, there are even some new music tracks.

Ape Agitator posted:

So Odin Sphere is worth buying sight unseen or is it rough early gen gameplay?

Combat and gameplay is improved and super slick, it's very fun. But if you'd like I'm fairly certain there's a demo you can try out on the PSN.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Nope! Leifthrasir added a handful of new mini bosses, as well as overhauled some level layouts/inventory/food/etc, there are even some new music tracks.

Combat and gameplay is improved and super slick, it's very fun. But if you'd like I'm fairly certain there's a demo you can try out on the PSN.

The demo is pretty good - it let's you try out all the characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The demo is also stuck on easy I think, it puts up a decent challenge on hard.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, you *will* want to stockpile a number of magic spell potions to bolster your attack. Some minibosses are super brutal, and of course it is Vanillaware so the game looks super gorgeous. I like the plot too, at least the first two characters' storylines.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Renoistic posted:

Is Doom on PS4 a solid experience if I don't want to upgrade my PC?
Yes.

In Doom 2016's single player, you are running full-out roughly 90% of the time and although I've never been a mouse & keyboard purist for FPS games I didn't see how it would have made the experience better.

Multiplayer? You don't buy it for that.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Kenny Logins posted:

Yes.

In Doom 2016's single player, you are running full-out roughly 90% of the time and although I've never been a mouse & keyboard purist for FPS games I didn't see how it would have made the experience better.

Multiplayer? You don't buy it for that.

Speaking of MP, it seems all the DLC is MP. Is that true? If so, all of it is skippable then?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mrEkli posted:

Speaking of MP, it seems all the DLC is MP. Is that true? If so, all of it is skippable then?
Yes.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I decided to browse through the store and saw that Doom was NZ$35, 70% off, which seems a good deal. However there's also a Far Cry 4/Primal Bundle for NZ$70, 46% off. Crucially, neither Far Cry game on it's own is on sale.

What's the best option? I played Far Cry 1 many years ago on PC, but stopped when it got up to the "jump from nowhere instant kill monsters" part. And I played the original Doom, but not really done anything for modern FPS's. Heck the last FPS I played was TF2 on PC, before the hats came out. I don't think I've played a FPS on console since Timesplitters2 on the PS2! So maybe this is a bad decision in general?

Yeah NZ prices suck...

ooooh, or maybe Fallout4 for $35 at 70% off as well... I've never really played a Fallout game before except watching a flatmate play Fallout 3, and trying Fallout 1 for a little stint.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 1, 2017

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NZAmoeba posted:

I decided to browse through the store and saw that Doom was NZ$35, 70% off, which seems a good deal. However there's also a Far Cry 4/Primal Bundle for NZ$70, 46% off. Crucially, neither Far Cry game on it's own is on sale.

What's the best option? I played Far Cry 1 many years ago on PC, but stopped when it got up to the "jump from nowhere instant kill monsters" part. And I played the original Doom, but not really done anything for modern FPS's. Heck the last FPS I played was TF2 on PC, before the hats came out. I don't think I've played a FPS on console since Timesplitters2 on the PS2! So maybe this is a bad decision in general?

Yeah NZ prices suck...

ooooh, or maybe Fallout4 for $35 at 70% off as well... I've never really played a Fallout game before except watching a flatmate play Fallout 3, and trying Fallout 1 for a little stint.

All the games you mentioned are good (except Far Cry: Primal), but Doom is the best.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Fallout 4 loving sucks. Do not buy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

:getout:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

He's right though. Looks bad, plays bad, awful story. "The shooting doesn't suck now" isn't a good defense either cause it's still about a decade out of date.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

TG-Chrono posted:

Yeah I agree, don't bother. It's poorly written, bad at being an RPG, the encounters are nothing special for an FPS experience, and the world you explore makes little sense, has little real responsiveness to what's happening, and really just isn't that interesting. There are way better games to sink that much time into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TG-Chrono posted:

that's pushing it a bit, but wait for a better deal

• Locked thread