Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Vita offerings have reached new levels of barrel scraping, apart from Grim Fandango. The rest aren't much better.

It's not like there was much in the Vita barrel to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Takoluka posted:

you both disappoint me and never disappoint me

Never fails to disappoint.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Real hurthling! posted:

Dark cloud 2 is out

This is just for PS4, right? Not PS3?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Skychrono posted:

$30 for the physical version with a special steelcase is pretty nice! Glad that they're discounting the remasters (this and Gravity Daze) recently.

Well poo poo, I never thought it's be a physical release in the west. I'll buy this game again for $30 bucks, especially with a goddamn steelbook. With this and Yakuza 0 coming west, I guess it's about time to finally buy a PS4.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Instant Grat posted:

Yakuza 0 isn't until 2017 though.

Yeah, but there're finally enough exclusives, current and potential, that I can make a decision on a console, and merit spending the money on it now. Plus, my PC's finally out-of-date enough to not play the games I want to play, so it's probably about time I get a current-gen console.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Um, about that...

Can your PC maintain 30FPS on medium settings?

I can run most games just fine, and yeah, I know Valkyria Chronicles is on PC, and someone gave it to me on Steam. But I also can barely run Fallout 4, and can't run AC Syndicate or MGS:PP at all. So I figure, instead of upgrading over and over again piecemeal every few years, I'll just leave my PC as is until I'm ready to upgrade it completely and get a console with some exclusives that I like on it for the time being.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm in the US, so I'm pretty set for release dates. I can't imagine something with this much hype getting pushed back, assuming the Japanese release happens when it should.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Gravy Jones posted:

My biggest issue with VC (a game I liked a lot) was that the best and sometime the only way to get the best ranks in missions was to cheese it. It was based on speed, so you'd just rush a single character to specific checkpoints or something like that. Am I remembering right? If you slowly and methodically clear a level efficiently you end up with a lovely rank. If there are rank based trophies it's going to force you to play the game in a specific, and unfun, way.

I doubt they'll change this, but I'll probably still get it and just ignore ranks.

Yeah, the ranking made it unfun bullshit sometimes, but it's not too difficult to get a decent rank in most of the missions even if you do it a fun way instead of a "correct" way. I pretty consistently got Bs even the first time I played just by basically playing the way I wanted. This is absolutely a game I will buy again, and I really hope that they make another proper VC game for either the PS4 or PS Vita.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
DQ Heroes ended up being pretty fun, right? I think I may as well grab it while it's on sale if I'm buying a PS4 in the near future.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

croutonZA posted:

I suppose I should ask this in the Vita thread but I cant find it. Is Trails of Cold Steel any good? It just came out in Europe.

Vita thread is this way. I'm having fun with it, but I'm probably less than, like, 4 hours into it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

In Training posted:

That sequel is gonna be killer. There was like a 10 second gameplay clip and when you cut out gravity every little piece of fruit in the area started floating away with you. Awesome

I completely forgot that this was coming to the PS4 until recently, and remembering it seriously solidified me getting a PS4 soon.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Harlock posted:

Tales Talk:

I really enjoy Graces and Hearts. I do not enjoy Xillia or Zestria.

They're not necessarily bad, just different than what I enjoyed.

This is how I feel as well. Xillia put me off enough that I really looked into Zestiria before buying it, and ended up not buying Zest at all. Watched a friend play it for a bit, and basically confirmed that it was a good idea to avoid it. Graces is one of my favorites, though, and Hearts was a lot of fun.

Xillia's a bit weird for me, though, because I actually liked some of the characters more than I did ones in Graces, but Graces was just a lot more fun to play. I'm hoping Berseria turns out okay, because Tales is a series that I generally like.

e: Gonna grab that Symphonia combo for $5 because goddamn.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It could've been that my friend was bad at the game, or just playing it poorly, because he would basically just merge with his elemental whatever in every fight and spend the whole time mashing the same button over and over again, and he won everything but boss fights doing exactly this. It doesn't seem particularly fun in this regard.

e: I don't mind assigning points or sifting through menus if the combat is ultimately fun. Zesty combat looked decidedly unfun.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Did Tales of Symphonia Chronicles turn out alright? I've been reading that the PC port has some serious problems, and I want to makes sure they're not present in the PS3 version before I buy it. I know it's 5 bucks, but still.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Bought a PS4 last night, and this was literally the first thing I bought. I don't think I can ever go to a theme without smooth jazz now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
How bad was the new NFS that it's only been out since November and it's already down to $20?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The Drop is only listing Assassin's Creed Chronicles collection for PS4. Wasn't that supposed to be coming out for Vita as well, or did I dream that?

e: Oh, that's not until April. Well, whatever. I'll just buy it for PS4 then.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I can't tell you how genuinely pleasant it is to hit that PS button and be treated to (and sometimes surprised by) roasting corn and smooth jazz. It's absolutely worth the $3. Hell, I spent money on Corn Love for the PS3 and that didn't even have the smooth jazz to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Takoluka posted:

Buy FF7 again.

I didn't buy it the first time.:smuggo:

I didn't play the game at the time, and now the graphics are just too dated for me to put up with since I have no nostalgia for the game itself. I feel like I missed out on a real big cultural phenomenon by having my first Final Fantasy game be 8.:(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Takoluka posted:

FF6 also had dated graphics, but it's still worth playing.

Yeah, but old 2D graphics tend to hold up a lot better than old 3D ones. Especially considering that the SNES was basically the epitome of 2D sprite stuff on consoles. I played most of 6 when it was released on the GBA, and enjoyed it well enough, but for some reason I can't give as easy of a pass to 7 right off the bat.

I should also say that I've never really found the Final Fantasy systems engaging, even though I like the Dragon Quest games. I've played almost every FF game for at least a little bit, and 6 was definitely the most engaging in story and combat, but even that couldn't hold my attention long enough to actually finish. I probably would've loved FF7 if I'd played it at the time, because I found 8 enthralling then, so I'm not trying to call it bad or anything. Just too dated for me personally.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

MisterAlex posted:

Fine print also says you have to "open a new personal U.S. PayPal account."
Not that this is a big problem or anything... I've put forth more effort for less on other deals. Just figured I'd point it out in case it doesn't work for existing accounts and folks get pissed.

Wait, so this isn't good for current Paypal havers?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The burden of a Vita owner is a tough one to bear.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I can't figure out what I'm going to buy in addition to DSIII. Is there anything else cool available for preorder? Or anything that costs a nickel so I can get Necrodancer for Free

Corn Love.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

barren_sky posted:

I'm not normally into Minecraft or survival-type games, but I tried the Japanese demo for this and it really is a cool game. Not sure how much of it is the Dragon Quest art style and music nostalgia, but I'd almost certainly buy a localized version.

My issue with MineCraft was always that, as nice as the mining and building was, there was no real game around it. Curiosity and creativity can only really carry me so far, so having something like MineCraft with characters to deal with and goals to meet will probably be more engaging to me. I really want this game localized.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

In Training posted:

Sure, Level 5 has had a few of their PS2 games released already, and DQVIII is getting a 3DS release later this year, wouldn't be surprised if they throw it on PSN as well.

I know it's probably easier just to poo poo out a PS2 classic or whatever, but I'd really love an HD remake in the same vein as, like, Okami. Because that poo poo was beautiful, and I love DQ VIII.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm kinda mad that AC Chronicles is so cheap so quick, because I bought the trilogy about 2 weeks ago. But I used that the get over $100 so I could get that $15, so whatever. I'm the idiot that owns every game on that list already.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
2, Brotherhood and Black Flag are the best, more or less in that order. Don't buy 3 under any circumstance.

Crappy Jack posted:

And well after Ubi stopped doing online challenges, so there's a pretty significant amount of unlocks in the game that are now impossible to get! Hooray!

It's nice that those unlocks are pretty much inconsequential, but it's still infuriating to have a handful of customization options locked behind online stuff. I'm going through a similar thing with Unity, but it has just enough of a playerbase that it isn't too bad just yet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Freedom Cry is in fact quite good, and don't you also get Aveline missions? I'd say it's probably worth it just for them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

zenintrude posted:

Should I be buying Assassin's Creed Vita for $6.75 or is that a bad idea?

It's got a lot of the same problems as 3, exacerbated by being on a portable console where fine control can be a problem. There's also a mechanic where changing your clothes both changes your notoriety and the way you move. It's neat in theory, but is kinda bad in execution.

While I didn't end up playing through the whole thing basically because of those two problems, Aveline is a much more likable and entertaining character than Connor, and I wish she had gotten a full console game instead of him.

Has anybody played the HD version for consoles? Does it make anything any better?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been playing some Assassin's Creed (II). First time I've come in contact with the series and it's fun so far, but Jesus, games age quickly and badly these days. It looks so grey and lifeless and in combat I kept expecting there to be counter prompts. Guess at 5 bucks I might as well see what the fuss is about though.

Counter prompts don't get introduced until 3, and 3 is a bad game. Unless it's at a point that the game is forcing you to fight and kill everybody, the best bet for combat is to kill just enough guys that you can escape. It doesn't get any better. The game outside of the combat is still pretty great, though.

In Training posted:

Assassin's Creed was always grey and lifeless.

Black Flag was pretty colorful, I guess, but yeah, that's mostly true.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

juliuspringle posted:

In 3 or 2? Because I'm still on 2 and I just counter EVERYONE until they are dead and then walk off. If I have to spend money to repair armor or refill health because of you you are gonna get stabbed. That's just how Ezio rolls. If I get frustrated with combat (which happens occasionally once they introduced the armored guards with the axes and spears) I like to take their weapon and kill them with it.

2. I hate the combat in basically every AC game but Black Flag, and even that isn't that great. It's seriously just easier to kill the fasties and get the hell out rather than bullshit my way through by countering literally everybody. That turns things into a boring slog for me. YMMV, I suppose, but combat shouldn't be too big a problem in AC games because you can get away from it pretty easily in most situations.

That was actually one of my biggest problems with 3. They didn't really fix the combat at all, and spawned enough bizarrely prescient guards every so many feet that cutting and running was never an option in the cities.

e: I should also say that 2 is a vast improvement over 1 in basically every way, so even if you do have to stick out the combat, it's not as bad as it had been.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CrashCat posted:

:confused:

I honestly thought that's how you were supposed to do it, aren't you supposed to be a sneaky backstabbing surprise killer and not Errol Flynn or some poo poo?

Yeah, but a surprising amount of people don't play it that way. It was sort of an emergent gameplay thing where the easiest, if not necessarily most entertaining, way to win a fight was to stand there and counter every attack. It was almost completely unbeatable, and it's still a fairly good strategy in the more current games. Putting counter indicators above enemies and improving combat mechanics came from this, pretty much.

On a more Store-related note, I had intended to buy another year of PS+, but last time I needed to order it, I didn't have enough spare money to get more than 3 months. I just saw the other day that it renewed for another 3 months without telling me, so whatever, but if I buy a year now, will it stack to that 3 months, or do I have to wait for this to expire before I try to switch it back to a year?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Quoting from the Video Game Deals thread:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

enojy posted:

FUK

Oh well, I just lost $10 last week. I'll survive.

I did the 2 $50 card for $80 thing last week, and used one of those cards to re-up Plus, so I guess I technically broke even with this. But still, kinda sucks that it happened literally a week later.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Skychrono posted:

Infamous 2 is so, so much better than SS. Sure, there are only the power sets, but I think the overall structure of those powers is more fun... Plus a plot that had more than a small handful of missions.

I'm torn with Second Son. I really like it, and I feel like they could've integrated the other powers a bit better, but at the same time I like having one dedicated set of powers at a time. 2 had the problem of powers being locked in to a certain moral choice tree. Trying to play through the game a second time as evil and losing that ice jump completely changed the game for me. If I had been able to use whichever power I wanted whenever I wanted, it wouldn't have been a problem. Second Son almost solves that, but goes about it in a way that isn't as enjoyable as it could be.

If they manage to do a thing where a single source can power whichever power, or that each type of source powers just a single pool of energy, then I think things can be improved. If they can manage a similar level of improvement to that between Infamous 1 and 2, then I'm really looking forward to Second Second Son.

e: I also really liked Delsin as a protagonist, and I hope he's back in the next one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

axleblaze posted:

SS was good but in many ways it did feel like a huge step back from Infamous 2. The game was really good looking and having multiple powers was fun, but Infamous 2 just had such a more interesting city, the powers were more in depth and gave more choice and the story was better and gave two of the best endings I've seen in a game.

I don't think it was that big of a step, since the gameplay was still pretty solid. Infamous 2 benefited from having an established character with a concluding story, and the good ending is pretty genuinely the first ending to a game to make me feel something in a long while.

I think the thing with Second Son was sort of the problem with the first Infamous, where a lot of it was distracted with side activities a doodad collection. If there's a sequel to Second Son, it'll likely be a lot tighter.

Stux posted:

nah. 1 was a bad game. 2 was not much better. SS is fun and solid. this is objective. do not reply on this subject again. good day.

How dare you.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotten enough free stuff from Plus in the years that it wasn't a requirement that I'm okay with the offers right now, especially since it's across 3 platforms that I own now. It's actually sort of fascinating how much of my Vita library is stuff I got for free on Plus.

e: I guess things might be worse for a new subscriber than a day-one Plus adopter, but I guess I can't exactly comment on that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

RadicalR posted:

Am I crazy or is there no way to buy Infamous 1 by itself? I have to buy the collection (which normally wouldn't be an issue, but I already own everything else!)

What the hell, Sony?

That's weird. I know that I have a digital copy, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't still exist.

e: Maybe you have to buy it in-game from the demo? Or from the Plus-exclusive full-game trial? I have no idea how I got it otherwise.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Is there any reason the the PS3 version of Joust is no longer purchasable on the store? I own it, but my sister is trying to buy a copy for her PS3 and can't find it in the store. Even looking in the web store doesn't give a purchase option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

wa27 posted:

Midway games were removed from the store like eight years ago when they went under.

Welp. I didn't know that happened. Fair enough!

• Locked thread