Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How is Valiant Hearts? Does it have any gameplay or do you just walk right and press buttons? It looks interesting, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Cool, thanks! I got the PS+ game but I don't have a PS4. Might get it while it's cheap for the PS3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I replayed Remember Me a while ago and ended up liking it more than during my first playthrough. It's a flawed game with an interesting premise and great graphic/sound design. During my second playthrough I used the French dub which probably helped since I can't tell whether they're good or not... Just don't do what I did and play it on hard difficulty - the fighting system is too limited for it to be worth the trouble. The worst thing about the game is all the missed potential, but it's not a "bad" game imho, just flawed, and with really dumb dialogue.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Burn everything and salt the earth

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Max Payne isn't as good as MP2 but it's definitely still worth buying and playing. It's a fun linear shooter.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
For what it's worth, I grew bored with Dishonored's story and mechanics by the fourth level. It's fun to teleport around for a while but then it grows pretty stale.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is there any point in buying Yakuza 5 if I didn't enjoy 4? I got to the second character and then just stopped because the story just didn't do anything for me, and the fights got tedious and same-y.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

abagofcheetos posted:

If the first character of Yakuza 4 doesn't hook you then you may as well just abandon ship from the series.

Akiyama spends 15 minutes explaining "Clan A has made a faux pas and you should give them a stern talking to." By the fifth I wanted someone to kick him in his condescending face. That would also make the scene finally end. I thought the MGS games were bad with regards to cutscene length but they have nothing on Y4. Even with the length I wouldn't complain that much if the dialogue and directing didn't scream lower class soap opera. Or if Akiyama didn't act like a complete tool towards everyone. The second guy wasn't much better - a complete idiot hypocrite who yells at people for not giving a poo poo about lives while he himself murders people because of Yakuza honor or some other stupidity.

The gameplay isn't even fun. The fighting isn't much deeper than a Dynasty Warrior game, and you spend most of your time running back and forth the same streets over and over again. The side content is all bad fetch quests or worse mini games. The karaoke is amusing but there are better rhythm games I could be playing instead.

So I won't be spending any more cash on the series. Thanks for the answers!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 1, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was shocked at just how bad Dragon Fin Soup was.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The gameplay of Gone Home is much more involved than say Everbody's Gone to the Rapture. I enjoyed my time with it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Naughy Dog games usually let you turn subs on/off by pressing Square during cutscenes. It's pretty great.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had an absolute blast with Shadow of Mordor for two hours i.e. one gaming session. I've never felt the need to play it ever again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For someone that has never played Tomb Raider but enjoys adventure games, is the Ultimate Edition worth the five bucks?

And how are the odds of MKXL getting a better deal anytime soon?

Definitely, TB is a genuinely good game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's still better than the mobile V and VI sprites.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Wolfsheim posted:

Hmmm...is DOA5:Last Round worth $15? I remember liking a few of the older games well enough if not loving them. Is it just more of the same?

It's a GREAT game for casual matches with friends. Rematches load instantaneously and the counter system makes for fun "moments". It's my favorite couch vs. fighting game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I saw Spirits Within in theaters as a kid for some reason even though I've never played a Final Fantasy game.

Except for a name drop or two, the movie had very little to do with the franchise anyway. However, it's not bad and the SF setting was well realized for its time. I'm 100% sure the Mass Effect devs stole most of the designs the movie came up with.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Jet skiing in UC1 was AWESOME and I'm sad they never added it again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Some of my favourite games are

- Half-Life 1,2 + episodes plus Portal 1+2
- Uncharted 1+2+3+4 and the Last of Us
- Limbo and Inside, Brothers scratched the itch of this niche as well

These might seem three or more different genres going on here, but there's a lot of commonality;

- these games are all single-player and narrative driven, and mechanically simple
- NOT open world or bloated
- however they don't go so far into the "not really a game" interactive movie idea as things like Quantic Dream/Telltale/Until Dawn
- all do environmental storytelling well and as such are very immersive
- are very "well-paced"; even the ones that are more action heavy (ie Half-Life, Uncharted) have quieter and puzzle moments so that they're not too repetitive
- the entirety of each of these games is exciting because you're always wondering what's next around the corner

What else would scratch this itch?

The Tomb Raider reboot should be a safe bet. And >Tomb Raider Trilogy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot (though I think it could have been even leaner by not having waypoints/an overworld map) and will play Rise when it gets released on this platform. I didn't bother with the Trilogy but I have it on Steam so I'll try that too.

Be aware that Rise has like three times as many collectibles and crafting. Also they cut off routes to several different areas after you've beaten so you have to teleport to return to them, for literally no reason. It's a lot bigger and a good game but I enjoyed the first one more.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse are both good games. But if you're only playing one, then PC is definitely the best one.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

saying people can't enjoy one game because a better game exists is one of the silliest opinions in this thread. no one said it was a masterpiece or that no better games existed. you clearly didn't like it and that's fine, but other people have, clearly, and especially at a lower price than its launch value, which does make a difference to a lot of people

This reminds be of all the people tearing Remember Me to shreads, while I've beaten it twice (first in English then in French). The fighting system is pretty unique and the environments and music are great. The interesting premise is unfortunately wasted on a story that swings but misses most of the time. It's a flawed game that still is worth playing. Still, I have NO idea why the developers decided to make another action-oriented game after having a small hit with Life is Strange.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it was more a Vampire: the Masquerade rip off but I haven't seen any footage of it.

It's called Vampyr. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnvlLqFqJX8

The gameplay looks decent until the fighting starts. Calling it a "Bloodborne" ripoff is giving it way too much credit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeeXUYtyfVM

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I love the UC games but the "puzzles" are painful on repeat playthroughs. They are extremely easy but even if you know how to solve them they still take long to solve because of animations, small vignettes after beating a subpuzzle, etc.

Still, I've never understood the complaints about the game being more of a movie than a game. What makes it less of a game than other action titles like Gears of War, Max Payne or Halo?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 25, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got bored with Witcher 3 very quickly but played SP MGSV for 140 hours. The difference is that, while repetitive, the game play of MGSV is extremely good. Also the enemy AI actually puts up a fight, sends for reinforcements from actual locations in the world, and switch gear depending on your play style. It's great.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Getsuya posted:

Actually I feel this way lately about any long RPG I play. 'Am I still playing this because I actually care about the plot and characters and want to see a resolution or am I playing it because I've spent 20 hours on it expecting it to get better but now it's a tedious grind and I'm afraid to admit I wasted 20 hours.'

That's me with Witcher 3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How is Inside?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of people really like it but I was left really cold by the ending.

The best comparison I can make is the Silent Hill movie, where the first 3/4ths are pleasantly atmospheric and the ending is extremely in your face, excessive and gross in a way the rest of the story isn't.

It's worth playing if you liked Limbo or that sort of thing. I just really loathed the ending but a lot of people adored it.

Huh, thanks. Perhaps I'll wait for a better discount. I enjoyed Limbo but it was short and the ending was meh.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is there a point in buying the ffxv season pass right now? I heard most of the content hasn't been released yet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Eldred posted:

You didn't think the ending qualified as doing something clever with the gameplay?

That part is the only one I remember from the game. Of course, the porpuse of the rest of the game is to condition the player so they will know how to do that part.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is Doom on PS4 a solid experience if I don't want to upgrade my PC?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

It runs at 1080p/60fps like 99.9% of the time so yes.

Cool, thanks. And it controls fine?

I can really only allow myself to buy one game from this sale, and I'm deciding between Doom or Bloodborne. I don't care about length of the game, just the experience, and Doom seems like a hoot.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 30, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm leaning towards Doom, especially after watching some Bloodborne videos. It looks like a game I should like in theory but might end up hating in practice.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Have you ever played a Souls game?

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 30, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm really curious what connection you saw between the gameplay in a game like DMC and the gameplay in Souls.

I meant Bloodborne, not the other Souls games. It's pretty superficial I guess, but I got the impression Bloodborne is more fast paced than the others, focusing on aggressiveness and heavy use of invincibility frames.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Nope! Leifthrasir added a handful of new mini bosses, as well as overhauled some level layouts/inventory/food/etc, there are even some new music tracks.

Combat and gameplay is improved and super slick, it's very fun. But if you'd like I'm fairly certain there's a demo you can try out on the PSN.

The demo is pretty good - it let's you try out all the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How much content is there in the new Hitman game? Is it worth buying it at the sale or should I wait a while longer?

• Locked thread