Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Great OP as always, but the EU store now also updates PS+ games on the first Tuesday of the month instead of Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've played about 10 hours of Dragon Age: Origins now and I've decided that it's not that bad, really, kind of like a more competent and focused Kingdoms of Amalur without the charm. So what about DA2? I see it's on sale at the store for a fiver but I've heard that most people poo poo all over it. I'm sure this has been done to death by now but this is pretty much the first time ever I've been even remotely interested in the franchise so what's so lovely about DA2? There are a whole lot of things I don't care for in DA:O and I gather DA2 fixed some of those things but is otherwise garbage or something.

Also is DA:O Awakening worth anything? 20 bucks for a DLC sounds pretty nutty to me. Does it ever go on sale?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

croutonZA posted:

DA2 didn't really fix anything that was wrong with Origins, unless you consider literally everyone not being bisexual or the player character not having tomato sauce on their nose flaws. It did however add a whole lot of it's own flaws such as setting the game in one small town instead of a country and removing what depth the combat had in the first game.

It's a bit of a trainwreck.

Awakening is a pretty good expansion to Origins, so if you want more of that it's worth getting. You could probably get it much cheaper on PC if that's an option.
I guess I'll be staying away from DA2 then if the combat is even more simple. The combat is really the thing I like the least about DA:O; I get that it's based mainly on managing the tactics and what have you but that's not really my bag and the combat leaves me feeling like I'm just spectating for the most part and there's a disconnect with the rest of the game where I'm directly in control where the plot goes and stuff like that. I'll keep an eye out for Awakening, I can't get it for the PC as I don't have one but if it ever drops in price for the PS3 I'll be sure to take a look. Thanks!

On that note though, is Inquisition worth getting for the PS3? Now that the PS4 is all the rage I can't really find many reviews or opinions when it comes to the PS3 version and I'm guessing it'll soon be dirt cheap anyway. Should I just wait until I get a PS4 one day?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

DA2 gets a lot of heat, but I had some good fun with it. Yes, there were some bad decisions, and the design is frequently lazy and rushed. But the core gameplay is solid despite all of that, and the characters are fun to work with.

It's a much narrower game than either of the others in the series, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as its reputation.
I played the demo for it a while back and it felt really bland and bare bones to me, especially now that I've played Origins, I was just curious if it ramped up at any point and got better. In any case, I missed the sale now and I still have a whole bunch of DA:O to get through. At least it's seemingly really replayable which is nice.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uh so my PS+ stopped being PS+ apparently and hasn't been doing what it's supposed to for two weeks since I renewed it. All the auto-upload/download/trophy sync stuff is switched on (and all games are set to upload saves) but none of that stuff happens. The PS3 still turns on when it's supposed to do its thing but it just doesn't do it. I get no notifications for that stuff when I turn it on, either, which is what got me suspicious.

There's still a bunch of space for saves and I just tried manually uploading them and all new saves I've made (aside from one, bizarrely) are greyed out when I try to copy them to the cloud. What's this all about?

E: Copying the saves manually one by one apparently works but for each one I get some warning about how I won't be able to download them too many times in 24 hours or something. But still, why no auto update? :(

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 10, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought Gran Turismo 6 because of the Easter Sale and a 10% discount code I got and I felt like having at least one racing game on my PS3 but holy poo poo. I mean jesus gently caress. After an hour of downloading it, two hours of installing it, four hours of downloading updates, I enter the game and it wants to update it even more? Approx. 400 mins. left? This is loving dumb.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

...! posted:

Now go buy Burnout Paradise.
I have it, didn't care for it. GT6 on the other hand is pretty good, after the initial installing bullshit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought the PS1 version of FF6 when it was on sale some time ago and it's pretty bad. The loading times are incomprehensibly long. In the end I just played it on a SNES emulator, at least guilt-free that I'd already paid for it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How is Persona 3 Portable different from P3:Fes (the PS2 version)? I'm playing the latter emulated on the PS3 and I'd kind of much prefer to play it on the Vita.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Takoluka posted:

P3:Fes has The Answer and some improved mechanics from original P3.
P3P has a second protag you can play as and massively improved mechanics brought from P4. However, no Answer and only place you can run around is Tartarus. Everything else is menus.

Get P3P.
P3:Fes is playable but honestly traveling around the city and the school gets kind of old because most "in-between" places are somewhat vacant and serve little purpose, so I think I might even prefer using menus to travel. The square menu from P4G is such a blessing, in retrospect. I don't actually know what The Answer is since I'm still on my first playthrough of the game. And being able to control your allies in combat would be nice most of the time, the AI tends to do some weird things. Guess I'll pick up P3P whenever, if ever, it's on sale because 30 euros is a tiny bit steep for it.

Takoluka posted:

You can turn that off, but I would rather not have Mitsuru use Mind Charge -> Marin Karin.

Seriously. Hi, I'm Junpei and my favorite move in combat is "Wait" for no apparent reason. :argh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Takoluka posted:

The Answer is a post-game slog that you will watch on YouTube to get the full ending for MC and Aigis.
Oh, alright. I appreciate the replies! Now to wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not a PS4 owner but I have a PS3 and a Vita and the last time I remember PS+ being worth it was with God of War Ascension some months back. I paid for last month accidentally through automatic resub and it wasn't worth it. They need to pull their thumbs out for non-PS4 owners at this point, no real reason to not give higher quality titles out instead of crappy indies.

• Locked thread