Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

barren_sky posted:

Holy poo poo! $7!!
That is one amazingly expensive animated GIF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

OxMan posted:

I keep seeing people say this but don't ps+ games licenses expire when your sub runs out? So you'll download them and play them for a day then no longer be able to access them?
Right, but if you never 'bought' them to claim them you lose any chance to play them even when you do finally give in or find a deal or whatever and get a real subscription. Otherwise people would probably let it lapse a couple months here and there when they're too busy for a while or some other life poo poo happens.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I love that they're asking $10 each for the Star Wars games that clogged bargain bins for nearly a decade

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Suicide Pacmen posted:

how do you feel about stereotypical teenagers
do you wish they were even more artificially obnoxious? then Life is Strange is perfect for you!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I like big artbooks, but the disc-case-sized 32 page artbooks are something I always regret. So disappointingly small, any other way to view that art would be better

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterAlex posted:

Would basing my expectations of Dark Butt 2 on my experience with Dark Butt (1) be reasonable? Is it in the vein of "more of the same" like most series games?
The city building bit probably changed the most but the city building in 1 was kind of weird and goofy so you might like that better anyway. If it's any indication I barely even remembered that the second one had any of it because I was focused on killing poo poo and making items.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 19, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yechezkel posted:

Japan store:

Demos of Dragon Quest Builders are now available, if you want to check that out:
PS4 version
Vita version
gently caress yeah, getting this on my PS4 right now. Then gonna get tired of using Google Translate after like three screens :hellyeah:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

barren_sky posted:

Just spent an hour or so with it and it's quite nice! It has that classic Japanese RPG tutorial style that sorta assumes you don't know how to read while teaching you to play. Little icons for what you need next, pictures of the buttons you need to press to make it happen and highlighted text for keywords. If you have a basic understanding of Minecraft it's a cinch!
Yeah, I got pretty far without understanding a word. Eventually got to a quest where there wasn't icons or markers to make it obvious but it took a while.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I went back about six pages and didn't see anything, so is there any word on what February's PS+ free games are going to be?
scuttlebutt is it could be Not A Hero

http://www.devolverdigital.com/games/view/not-a-hero

and a bunch of other trash of course

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skychrono posted:

Yeah, definitely either this Wednesday or Thursday.

Optimistic answer would be Crypt of the Necrodancer, but since it's being sold in Japan that's pretty unlikely.
Yeah, Crypt of the Necrodancer has already been confirmed as not it. Not that they couldn't just put that one in half a year from now anyway though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Justin_Brett posted:

By the end of it I felt like Not A Hero was also trash.
Well yeah, but it's all relative. At least Devolver trash is usually pretty

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

Unless you already downloaded it be ready to spend a couple of hours just trying to get authenticated to perform a download.
Wait what? I updated my PSTV last night and downloaded some games without issue. Are they slammed right now for some reason?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

For some people the firmware update broke access to PSN entirely/just the store, also leaving some ghost process in the background that murders your battery during sleep mode. Not everyone is affected, though I have no idea why it hits a lot of people but not everyone. It affects all models of the Vita and the TV thing.

Rebuilding the database and/or restarting the system seems to fix it for some of those people, but the problem seems to come back eventually. You may have restarted your Vita TV and not even noticed the problem yourself or you never suffered from it. Either way it is affecting enough people that the Sony support forums, reddit, neogaf, and twitter are full of similar reports.
Interesting. I did notice that my update automatically rebuilt the database as well so I guess I lucked out. Though with the PSTV if you brick it it's a cheap bill to replace.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Uh, after some month I tried again to add my credit card to the store and while the webpage said the credit was invalid; my bank just notified me that Sony charged me 1 dollar.

I guess it was added after all?
It's possible they did get a dollar "hold" through to test your account and then rejected it anyway because of their extremely picky address verification system

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

That sequel is gonna be killer. There was like a 10 second gameplay clip and when you cut out gravity every little piece of fruit in the area started floating away with you. Awesome
Secretly, this must be the actual reason they let Knack exist

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I can't see any way anything other than Broforce wins, no matter how fun Action Henk is

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

At least these games are more comparable than the first set. They all feature a somewhat short, actiony first playthrough followed by trying to redo them to improve your performance.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterAlex posted:

I'm not really familiar with any of those games, so I'm happy to vote for the cactus game. I hope you weren't being sarcastic. :v:
Cactus is a shmup with some interesting features, Action Henk is a Trials type game and Broforce is side scrolling shooting platformer type stuff. Henk and Broforce both have level editors on PC but I have no idea if that made it onto PS4 or not. I personally would marginally rather have Broforce since I stink at shmups and I already have an actual Trials game with hundreds of user tracks to download. Though I expect the Broforce user levels will be bad anyway. On the other hand I probably already got it in a PC bundle somewhere or I will sometime this year so that leaves Cactus. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Billy Elliot posted:

This will turn into grow home all over again, guarantee it. All the ps4 subreddit complains about 8 bit themed side scroller games as PS+ titles and I bet Broforce will win.
does anyone even play grow home anymore? I think interest in that lasted about two seconds, and now Armello is probably dead too. Ruined their chance by having to pay for it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shnag posted:

Does anyone know if Dragonball Xenoverse (for the ps4) is any good? I'm a big fan of the franchise, but never had any of the games. I've played one on gamecube years ago, though I found the fighting system a little weird.
It feels like Phantasy Star Online and an odd brawler had a bizarre alien baby and I like it. If the idea of making your own DBZ character and teaming up to bring them from weenie to world-destroying psychopath appeals to you then you will enjoy the hell out of it. The fighting system is still weird but it kinda has to be. If you enjoy the rest of the concept enough to hang out with the game for a while you will probably get used to it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Watrick posted:

Could you elaborate on this a bit more, please? I love me some PSO, and your description makes me very curious. I'm going to look up a few vids, but those only give a general idea of things.
A bad correlation really but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the town area. You have the small multiplayer parties, the town full of players showing off their poo poo, counters where you pick up missions, and people milling around the shops. You have a lot of gear to try and collect and optimize your character as well as the actual moves you earn and select, and of course a bunch of consumables to use off a quick select when you're in battle. That's my terrible attempt to explain how they put online console RPG elements into a game about people yelling a lot and shooting giant energy balls at each other :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Awesome! posted:

i dont think i even want to watch that
laughing at another person's suffering as they reveal something incredibly personal is pretty much a requirement of these forums, so try to go along with it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The Unravel reveal was basically just like the no man's sky reveal in that it was a super nervous indie dev who was excited to be on stage in front of the crowd for the first time.
He starts talking about how games are powerful and should do more than just entertain, and reveals Yet Another Indie Platformer while talking about emotions and poo poo. Looking back at it he doesn't even eat it that badly but the Artsy Feelings Platformer is such a worn out thing (hello, Instant Game Collection) that the slightest weakness makes an easy target.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

axleblaze posted:

I do have to admit that I feel kind of iffy about Unravel but at $20 it's kinda tempting, though I can't imagine it not being half that by summer at the latest.
At the risk of repeating myself, it screams eventual PS+ freebie

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Captain Novolin posted:

True Story: campo santo (firewatch devs) guys downloaded corn love forever and tried to reverse-engineer it because the ps4 does not support video for themes. it is an amazingly complex series of looping sprite animations layered over eachother carefully.

corn love forever is literally a technical achievement on the ps4
There's got to be a kit for converting videos then, because I swear like over half of the themes available are looping videos

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Is there a good golf game on PS4? I'd prefer something that's more fantasyish like Hot Shots Golf rather than Tiger Woods PGA tour or whatever.
Actually less fantasyish, but you should give The Golf Club a look anyway. If you want to play a lot of courses, you can't possibly beat it for sheer volume thanks to the course creator. It will beat you up for every weakness in your gameplay though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterAlex posted:

That seems like putting it in the Friday night death slot. Did the developers do something to anger Sony? :v:
I'm guessing Dragon Fin Soup went over like a lead balloon on PS4, and I can't remember the last similar thing they tried before that. Plus whether we like it or not Vita is now known as the third wheel with the goofy RPGs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Billy Elliot posted:

I'm bummed assault is getting wrecked in 3rd place. They didn't learn anything by the last one and still let you view the results.

I just find it funny, so many complaints about side scroll indie games that nobody wants, yet it gets the most votes...
Mostly it is just the artsy gimmick indie platformers that I'm sick of, but it's irrelevant since Broforce is the only one of the three games anyone's heard of before. People are just gonna vote for the known brand.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Buttermilk Bay theme is way more excited about playing PlayStation than I am and I love the weird beepy cat noises for menu items. I might be a tad biased though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

error1 posted:

Big fan of the Aqua Kitty themes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfxrQMQX6_A
Oh man, they actually timed it to the music :allears:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harlock posted:

Will the outrage be higher or lower than Destiny's DLC plans
Depends on if they expect me to rebuy the game plus all the DLC plus a new DLC a year from now and get a bunch of people to say "nah man it's fun now really if you get this but the old poo poo is crap"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mayor McCheese posted:

I have bought two season passes in my life, and the one that made me stop was the one for Destiny's pre-order. I never touched any of that content.
Yeah, and I swore I learned my lesson, but I had enough fun with The Division so far that it's making me consider being that stupid again. Especially if I can save $20 with this Amazon nonsense.

... then again I preordered MGS5 as well after promising I would never preorder anymore as well :doh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They are doing a second open beta? That's pretty ballsy given the lukewarm reception to the first. I guess to capture people that didn't get to try it the first time around (like myself)
Technically the first one was closed, it's just Nvidia was giving away so many free keys it might as well have been open :shrug:

So this time around is probably the one where they really attempt to build hype.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Awesome! posted:

i believe you can remote play anything since its a system level feature and is just transmitting game image/control input back and forth
Nah they can lock it out on at least a per game basis, and probably including just locking out music etc., just like the various sharing options that they can also lock down. You don't really own a lot of PS4 features, you borrow a license

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

El Hefe posted:

You can use remote play with every single game playable on the PS4, only restriction are things like Plex and other apps.
No, they can definitely lock it out. It's just usually they only lock it out for games that would be impossible to play, like stuff that uses a PS4 camera.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

El Hefe posted:

That's just a technical limitation, not because they feel like it or because the game developer doesn't want to.
Yeah, most likely. Unlike the poo poo they pull with Share Play, which pissed me off when I got a split screen game hoping to play with a buddy and it noped them the gently caress out of there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

flesh dance posted:

That said, are there any other weird/quirky/arty exclusives for the system I missed out on? I never followed playstation stuff.
Not exclusive to the PS3 (it's also on Vita and PS4), but if you can get it on sale Sound Shapes is pretty chill.

edit: add in quote cause lol new page

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Have you tried turning yourself into the police?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That worked! Thanks!
:patriot:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

barren_sky posted:

I've been holding off on Just Cause 3 (even though I loved JC2) till they fixed the framerate and loadtimes. Anyone played it recently?
On PS4? How far in do you have to go to have issues? I rented it on a weekend and it seemed fine :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Spalec posted:

While we're asking for recommendations, Life is Strange is worth the $10 right? I heard a lot of good things about it.
If you can stomach pseudo-teen dialogue long enough to keep your eyes from rolling out of your skull, it eventually gets interesting. Like way more interesting than I expected

• Locked thread