Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Nawid posted:

The free PS+ games have hit a all time low (and I don't think the PS4 is too new excuse is valid as it isn't really that new anymore plus even the ps4 games have been better in the past.

They don't even make the nice video featuring all six games anymore.

The Patton game is just...

There's not much you can do with the PS3 and Vita, since nothing new is coming out for them, but i'm so glad Sony went the route of so often including brand-new indie/low-budget games with PS Plus. I play a ton of games on PS4 and the last thing I want is moldy-oldies like Killzone and Knack gifted to me. My schedule for proper gaming is pretty filled up by recent games and the winter back-log. It's nice to get a couple of games each month in a genre I may not be too into as a brief distraction and an excuse to try something different. Most of last year's games have had maybe an hour or two of playtime, with the odd stand-out like Broken Age and Rocket League. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Yoya posted:

some new ps4 pre orders are hitting 84.99 on amazon.ca so that might be the new baseline msrp :mcnabb:

These days publishers often drop the price to $50 in retail sales within a month of release to combat the used game market. There is zero chance I'd spend nearly $100 (after taxes) on a new game.

At least we still have PS+ and some store sales on par with the US dollar.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13

Oh, that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on Nobunaga's Ambition. I know both of these series' are pretty deep strategy games. Is one a bit simpler than the other? I'm a bit more educated on Japanese history, but if Romance of the 3 Kingdoms is more beginner-friendly I may wait for that one.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

There's a Playstation 'Essentials' (ie: "old') games sale on. Activision still trying it's damndest to get people to pay over $20 for it's lovely Spider-man game.

I've been waiting for a good deal on AC: Black Flag, since I love the sailing bits and sea chanties so much. I'd quit it half-way though back in the day because the rest of the game is Assassin's Creed. It's on sale for $20 with or without the DLC.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

So, is the Black Flag with DLC worth it for the $0.01 extra?

I would have said yes but I've just learned that not only are there no new sea shanties included with the DLC, the crew on your ship in that campaign don't sing at all!
Going to wait for a $10 bare-bones edition, personally.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah Persona 4 is an extremely slow starting game. It's not even a really extended tutorial, just a lot of story happens before you really get access to dungeons

I'd say it's slow in general. P4 would have been twice as good if it were half the length.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Holy poo poo! $7!!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I love that they're asking $10 each for the Star Wars games that clogged bargain bins for nearly a decade

And if, for some reason, you wanted to play these old games again, you can get them all for $14 from places like this:
http://boxeddeal.com/gaming/playstation-4/star-wars-4-classic-games-download-code.html

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How is Life is Strange? Worth the 20 bucks for the season pass?

One of the best games of last year, for sure. It's excellent. It's also been on sale on PSN for around $7 (I believe), so if you're not in a hurry...

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I just noticed there was a Bomberman clone on sale from last week called Bombing Busters. It boggles my mind that a Bomberman game isn't one of the first games released on every new console. Anyone tried this clone?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It seems to me that you don't realize that Bomberman is owned by Hudson Soft, who are owned by Konami.

Oh, Christ. Maybe I'll give this clone a shot then. Can't go too wrong for $2.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

And yet another lousy Warner Bros. games sale. Whoo hooo!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Dead Star beta codes being handed out here right now if you're quick:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/41qrns/beta_codes_dead_star_beta_ps4pc_crossplay/

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

CrashCat posted:

gently caress yeah, getting this on my PS4 right now. Then gonna get tired of using Google Translate after like three screens :hellyeah:

Just spent an hour or so with it and it's quite nice! It has that classic Japanese RPG tutorial style that sorta assumes you don't know how to read while teaching you to play. Little icons for what you need next, pictures of the buttons you need to press to make it happen and highlighted text for keywords. If you have a basic understanding of Minecraft it's a cinch!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I might give The Vanishing of Ethan Carter a go at that price. I've really been into story-focused games lately.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Wow, can you believe they're remastering Vakyria Chronicles for PS4? Maybe I'll make it past that cursed tank this time...

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

drat, I've been waiting for a good deal on a turn-based RPG for PS4, but of course FFVII and X/X-2 are the only Square games not on sale.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Also, maybe I'm just miserly, but is anyone actually paying $60-$70 for a Lego game? They are good family fun, don't get me wrong, but that seems crazy.

No Wolverine means I'm waiting for a 50% sale. Had a good time with my kids playing the previous Lego Marvel game though. The only one I've ever liked enough to give more than half an hour of my time. Sounds like the city hub is even better this time around too.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Yoya posted:

I want a physical version of gravity rush hd but amazon.ca refuses to show it in stock and im having a panny

It's irritating. Apparently it's only having a limited physical release, and Canada didn't make the cut. We do, at least, get it at par to the US dollar. And the theme the digital version comes with is cute.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

Are any of Tuesday's PS4 games going up Monday at 9 pacific? Basically are any up for preorder?

Gravity Rush is. I already have it pre-loaded.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

Is good? People talk it up a lot so I want it but I just still don't really know what kind of game it is.

To me, Gravity Rush was the best thing on the Vita by a country mile. I loved it. The flight/falling controls take some getting used to, but once you do it's exhilarating. If you aren't sure, it might be worth waiting for a sale or a demo, because some people really seem to dislike the combat, but I found it fun as hell, mainly because it's so different. A lot of strategies you might use in other action games just don't work here. It's tough at first but once you've leveled up your combat and gravity skills (both in-game and through practice) you can be a whirlwind of destruction.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

NA store:
Gravity Rush Remastered is out now at US$30/CA$33

They bumped the Canadian price by $3 today? But our dollar has gone up a bit!

CrashCat posted:

does anyone even play grow home anymore? I think interest in that lasted about two seconds, and now Armello is probably dead too. Ruined their chance by having to pay for it

My kids and I had a really good time with Grow Home. The only reason I didn't try to 100% it after beating the campaign was because the Trophies sounded like a nightmare with those wonky controls.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Magil of Shadow posted:

If I'm a fan of Tales of Vesperia, would I enjoy Zestria?

Tales of Vesperia is quite a step up from every other Tales game I've tried, especially in terms of characters, plot, and dialogue. I keep trying new Tales games hoping one of them will live up to it and am always disappointed.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

watching videos of unravel and its basically a prettier limbo with a cool gimmick. are the graphics and cute character the only basis for the hype?

Partially those things. But mostly because the guy revealing the game at E3 last year was so adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvXNXc6ibw

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Faux Mulder posted:

This is true and I'm sure Firewatch, Unravel and The Witness will be cheap as poo poo before this time next year if not PS+ free games, but I prefer to buy stuff I'm really interested in on launch. It supports the devs more, both directly and through demonstration of a market to publishers and investors.

Definitely. The FIFAs and the Assassin's Creeds are the ones you wait for a good sale on. Games that are obviously a labor of love are worth the extra cash (to me).

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

its a metroid vania with exploration --> new ability item --> more exploration as its main gameplay loop but instead of freezing beetles to climb a shaft and fighting space pirates you are getting sassed by a lady over the radio and solving the mystery of who hosed with your typewriter.

Never even heard of this game before this conversation, but it sure has my attention now!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

watch the gb quicklook. it doesn't look like the greatest game ever but it looks a hell of a lot more like something worth buying than everyones gone to the rapture

Nice! I loved Everybodys Gone to the Rapture! This is gonna be amazing!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Shnag posted:

I was hoping that was the case. I just wish there was cheap third party controllers like afterglow for the ps4, as I don't want to spend $75 on a controller thats rarely going to get used. Seems I can get controllers cheaper online though, still doesn't change the fact Canadian fun bucks are worth about as much as the monopoly money they appear to be. :canada:

Well, they're on sale for $61 on Amazon.ca right now, and have been as low as $50. $75 is way too much though.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I tried so much to love the new Divinity (especially since I backed the Kickstarter), but ended up hating it. The inventory system is beyond awful, but worse are the random difficulty spikes. I was literally digging a hole in the first city looking for a grave, and some kinda Level 9999 monster popped out and wiped my party in 2 seconds. Another time I was pushed back a few steps by a monster and my party ended up stepping on a bit of lava. Killing them all instantly. I found it slow and frustrating. The Trophies are terribly designed too.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just looked it up curious about pricing and what the gently caress happened to the Canadian Dollar

Our government got tired of buggy, unfinished games at launch, so they boosted the prices to encourage people to wait till the games are finished and the prices come down!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

loving GTA on sale again. It's starting to look a bit pathetic.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Far Cry 4 and Zombi (U) bundle for $20? Not bad!

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/far-cry-4-and-zombi-bundle/cid=UP0001-CUSA01886_00-FARCRY4PLUSZOMBI?platform=hootsuite
(Canada link)

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

flesh dance posted:

Hi thread, I've always wanted to check out Noby Noby Boy, but never had a PS3 in my house until now. I just looked it up and it seems like growing and reporting in was a huge part of the game, is there any point to playing now that it's "complete?"

That said, are there any other weird/quirky/arty exclusives for the system I missed out on? I never followed playstation stuff.

I love games like that. Loved Noby Noby Boy. I'm pretty sure you can continue growing Girl, but I don't have my PS3 to check. You could try Journey, Flower and Flow. Hohokum is really great if you like that type of game too. Katamari Damacy is somethign special if you've never tried that. There are some others like DeTuned and Linger in Shadows that are pretty out there. I liked them, back when they came out, but I did a lot more drugs back then too.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

PS store sales are up early today! Critics Choice awards. Some good deals to be had!

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I've been holding off on Just Cause 3 (even though I loved JC2) till they fixed the framerate and loadtimes. Anyone played it recently?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I remember reading reviews that said the framerate dropped to single digits when poo poo got crazy. Maybe that was the Xbox version? Either way, $35 seems a pretty good price.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

man nurse posted:

What's the consensus on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture being worth $10 or not

I loved it at full price. But it's very slow. And you just walk around and listen to sparkly things talk to each other. I can totally understand why people hate it too.

-e- maybe watch a bit of a Youtube walkthrough (early game, so you don't get spoilers) to see if you might like it?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Years ago, we got things like Dragon's Dogma and Uncharted 3. Now, we have... Dragon Fin Soup.

Years ago they were trying to find an audience for PS+. Now we don't really have a choice.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

The slowness of EGttRapture is clearly engine limitations. The game does look great, but even that tiny bit of extra speed you get from holding the 'run' button causes noticeable pop-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Shiiiit. He was the best of us.

• Locked thread