Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I'm playing Disgaea right now, so I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Ooh, I loved Odin Sphere. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, wait. That's JP store. :(

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

I guess Amazon.jp doesn't sell PSN cards? All I'm seeing are inflated prices from third-party sellers. :(

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Isn't the Japanese sales tax 10% right now? Unless the sale of digital codes is specifically excluded from sales tax, that wouldn't even be a markup.

If it's like it is here, gift cards don't get tax added on. You'd essentially be paying sales tax twice in that event. :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

That Odin Sphere demo was pretty darn great. The art was amazing on the PS2 version, and it's even better on the new one.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Parasite Eve is the only one of my PS1 games that I bothered to hold onto.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

BlindNinja posted:

Thanks!

Does it matter which I play first?

Play Second Son first. First Light does take place chronologically before it, but it will also give away story information rather than fill in holes in an "oh, so that's why..." kind of way.

Same deal with The Last of Us and Left Behind. You should play Left Behind after TLOU.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

What's VD? Other than a venereal disease, I mean.

Also, is there a list of (or way to filter) which items are unique to the JP PSN store? Outside of flipping back and forth, it'd be great to see if there are any themes or anything that would make buying a Yen card worth the time and effort.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Thanks a whole bunch for the Rock Band info. I really appreciate the heads-up.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Would basing my expectations of Dark Cloud 2 on my experience with Dark Cloud (1) be reasonable? Is it in the vein of "more of the same" like most series games?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Alrighty, thanks y'all. I appreciate the feedback. =)

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

No, it doesn't counter your statement, but it is a pretty amusing exception. And I like jokes. :v:

And yes, you're right. Selling game licenses through the PSN Store involves almost no overhead, so using a high price on a second-hand disc as justification for digital pricing is a flawed argument. The only thing that really matters is at what price point they'll make the best profit (i.e. what consumers are willing to pay). If folks don't buy a product, the price will (theoretically) go down until it is accepted by consumers.

tl;dr - If you think it's overpriced, just wait until the cost drops to a reasonable price.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

KoB posted:

Does the PS4 work the same as the PS3 wrt getting games on my japanese account and then I can play those using my normal account?

Yeah, if the PS4 is set as your primary device for the JP account, any of the stuff you get through it can be used by the others who log in on that machine.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

KoB posted:

I havent loaded it up on my Ps4 before with it. Would it prompt me when I log in for the first time?
Yes, that's what mine did. It's all in scribble shapes instead of letters, but if you're familiar with the prompts, you should be good. Or just click through all of the defaults. =)

Yoya posted:

Except for avatars for some reason.
Oh, good point. I guess it's because those follow your account. It would defeat the purpose if I just went to my buddy's house, logged in, and set one of his paid avatars to my PSN account.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

I don't know if anyone already posted about it, but Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4) is coming to EU/NA. :)

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Do y'all know how the Phantasy Star Online 2 beta works?

The automatic page translation says:
■ closed β test scheduled
February 25, 2016 (Thursday) - March 6 (day)
■ participation application period
January 25, 2016 (Mon) - February 15 (Mon)

From what I'm seeing, it looks like purchasing this item (for free) counts as "application" and then it's luck of the draw whether or not a participation key gets emailed to you. I think.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

If I'm remembering correctly and Breath of Fire 3 is the one where I think you start as a baby dragon in a cave or something, then that's a great game.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It has, in my opinion, the funnest mode of transportation in any video game.

It's not flying.

It's falling

With style.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Awesome! posted:

please vote for the cactus game

I'm not really familiar with any of those games, so I'm happy to vote for the cactus game. I hope you weren't being sarcastic. :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

None of them are strictly necessary, but the Ranger pack's Humblebee UAV is probably the single best call-in in the game because it reveals all samples on the map.

Yes, this is what I would say, too. My friends benefit greatly from my presence since I always have the Humblebee in my loadout. It's really awesome to have.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Forceholy posted:

Finally getting around to playing Guacamelee. You can piledrive a chicken. Game of the Year.

Be sure to check out the posters and stuff in the background. I remember there being references to Strong Bad, Goat Simulator, and a bunch of other silly things. :)

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

univbee posted:

... on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4)...
That seems like putting it in the Friday night death slot. Did the developers do something to anger Sony? :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I'm guessing Dragon Fin Soup went over like a lead balloon on PS4, and I can't remember the last similar thing they tried before that. Plus whether we like it or not Vita is now known as the third wheel with the goofy RPGs.

Hmm, could be. I didn't know Dragon Fin Soup existed until it was a PS+ game; I did enjoy it at that point, though. And yeah... whenever a friend asks if s/he should get a Vita, I ask them if they like JRPGs... a lot. :p

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Today's ballot day, right? Is that live yet?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

I watched that show with some friends a few months back. It was pretty funny, and I'd be down for a PS4 theme of it, but this implementation is pathetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcruYjyay_s

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Sorry, Awesome... not lookin' too good so far. =\

Cartoon Man posted:

By ballot day, you mean "everybody's gonna vote Broforce" day? :negative:
:negative:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

After watching the trailers for all three, I would rather it be Cactus. Action Henk looks like it'd be fun for about ten minutes, and Broforce looks like a meathead's wetdream.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

"RECEIVE $10 OFF WHEN YOU SPEND $59.99 OR MORE AT PLAYSTATIONSTORE USING PAYPAL."

Fine print says you have to save the offer to your PayPal account, and it's valid on purchases from February 7 to March 6. I don't know if this is only available to new PayPal accounts or for everyone.

Fine print also says you have to "open a new personal U.S. PayPal account."
Not that this is a big problem or anything... I've put forth more effort for less on other deals. Just figured I'd point it out in case it doesn't work for existing accounts and folks get pissed.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Billy Elliot posted:

It seems they've got it on PS4 hacking now because they are modding legendary gems and getting all the wings that weren't patched into the PS3 version.
Woah, what? I didn't think anyone was editing PS4 saves yet.

So... can they get me more HL on Disgaea? :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

I just traded five games and a phone for psn cards and can't find a thing to buy. Good times.
Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money? :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

There'll apparently be no physical PS4 release of Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls for the North America region. Stupid.
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/heavy-rain-ps4-launches-march-1

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Why would they release a physical version of those games? Why do you think there's a demand that would justify the extra money spent? It's weird enough they're making it.
But they are releasing a physical version of those games. They're just not selling any in the States.

Andrast posted:

They are doing you a favor.
I can't get my 20% GCU discount on the PSN Store, nor can I lend out digital licenses to friends or sell/trade them on SA Mart. =P

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Andrast posted:

The point is that you shouldn't buy that garbage in the first place.

Yeah, I know what he meant. I just disagree on that point and would definitely like to check out those games.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

what's the purchase window for the 15 dollars back promotion?

PlayStation website posted:

Spend $100 USD using your wallet for the PlayStation®Network (“PSN Wallet”) through March 1st, 2016 11:59pm PT, and you’ll receive a $15 USD credit back on or before March 8th, 2016...

Here's the full terms of the deal: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/spend-100-get-15-terms-and-conditions/

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Boo, no PSP games next month? :v:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Reality Fighters is now showing up correctly as a free PS Plus game.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

barren_sky posted:

Chrissakes, if it wasn't for PS Plus we'd still be paying our $50 a year for multiplayer, a paywall, and nothing else and be happy for it. We may not get old Assassin's Creed games every month, but we do get a couple of indie games. Some of them you might like, and some you won't. It's a whole lot better than the nothing I got for my years of Xbox Gold on Xbox 360.

Just so sick of the endless whining.

That said, this months batch are kinda fun for me. Galak-Z gets pretty tough pretty quick, but it's the best Battlestar Galactica game I've ever played.
Yeah, I was a bit irked by all of the uninformed bitching last month. I paid for Helldivers twice (digital and then disc) because I liked it so much. When it was announced for PS+, I didn't bemoan the fact that I'd "missed out" on getting it for free; I rejoiced in knowing so many others would soon get to enjoy it, too!
And then the "I want $60 titles for free" crowd showed up and started complaining. :barf:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

univbee posted:

Oh, if you're one of the people who lives in a city where Playstation Vue is actually an option, it now offers Disney channels and ESPN, and all packages are :10bux: cheaper.
Nice. $40/month and no equipment rental or service charges for DVR/high-definition/etc. sounds way better than pretty much every TV offering I've seen around here.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

CrashCat posted:

And now you know why all the cable companies are putting in bandwidth caps. :v:
I've been lucky so far on that front. Neither of my local providers (TWC, U-Verse) places any caps on their Internet service around here. Probably because we're fortunate enough to have two options—competition is good for consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Any of y'all end up with any of these in your Download Queue? I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it, but I couldn't find any solutions anywhere, and the "AskPlayStation" Twitter was less than helpful, though not for lack of trying, I guess...

• Locked thread