Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
How is ESF 4.1 compared to 2017 on the 360? Is still as satisfying to blow a giant spider away with a shotgun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Izno posted:

There are more ways to blow away giant spiders than ever. Also considering you didn't play 2025 you are in for an amazing time coming from 2017 as this is easily the best version of the game yet.

Sweet. Does it support offline co-op?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If it's regular Persona 4, it's a great game and you won't regret playing it. I've never played Golden but I wasn't really dissatisfied with the game outside of a couple things that I doubt are changed in Golden.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Motto posted:

Golden's better because it was made after Atlus dropped skill-shuffling.

Well dealing with that stupid poo poo at least once is a rite of passage to SMT games anyway. :colbert:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah Persona 4 is an extremely slow starting game. It's not even a really extended tutorial, just a lot of story happens before you really get access to dungeons

I think part of the problem is also that you're seeing a lot of heavy stuff about characters you haven't grown attached to. I know I for one was way more into what I was seeing about Kanji and Naoto than I was about Yusuke and Chie because the latter happened so early that it didn't carry so much dramatic weight for me. The social links for those characters had more impact because I saw the end of those much later in the game.

Compare this with Persona 3 where the opening of the game isn't about character so much as it is about the mechanics of the world you've been placed into and the protagonist himself. That's a much more riveting way to get the player invested because they haven't started to care about the cast just yet. While Persona 4's focus on character stuff was ultimately really satisfying for me, I definitely agree that its opening was a misstep.

For the guy who bought it, just know that you'll appreciate what you see in the opening later on in the game looking back. It's throwing a lot of character stuff at you that you'll retroactively find more interesting.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Persona 3 and 4 are two of the few games that I forgive for erring on the side of being very long due to their format. The mundanity of living in your character's shoes plays a big role in how you feel about the experience at the end, and the pace that accompanies something like this is communicated to the player fairly well at the beginning. I don't know that the ending of Persona 3 would have been as impactful if I hadn't spent so many days doing mundane stuff like folding origami cranes or studying in the library with my friends. "Twice as good if it were half the length" is a phrase I use all the time with stuff like Twilight Princess, where the adventure you're on definitely isn't supposed to feel mundane.

I do think the length would be unforgivable if stuff like that were not as important to what the game was trying to say, though. And I also think that being ~70-80 hours rather than 103-4 hours each (my totals on 3 and 4 respectively) would be preferable, as there's probably diminishing returns after a certain point.

Of course, the length of this stuff necessarily means that the "new" Persona games aren't for anyone; they're not about "adventure" in the same way that Final Fantasy or Zelda are about.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 14, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Puzzle is such a wide genre. It wouldn't make much sense to compare something like Tetris Attack to Catherine.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

My impression of Catherine from the marketing was that it was supposed to be like a horror movie aimed at twenty-somethings. My impression in the first few minutes (and through the rest of the game) was that it was an episode of Tales From the Crypt. I didn't mind it because the game makes that point very early, but it was not quite what I was expecting. Still enjoyed it though.

Edit: There was a weird amount of transphobia played for laughs in it, though. Even for five years ago.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Baal posted:

The transphobia is a touchy subject (In more than one way of course), because it could just as easily be argued that the only one who had an issue was Toby, but the guys in general act the way they do towards Erica because they are her friends and have known her forever. Personally, It never really came off to me like they were making fun of her, because it's obvious the guys care about her and have know her since they were kids which is why they talk like they do about and to her. Even she as a character is portrayed pretty positively and the only joke about the whole thing is Toby's reaction to her at the end of the Lovers True Ending.

I can see where it comes from though and it's definitely a weird cap to the whole thing.

Yeah, it clearly is just the most immature character who makes those comments; it's just that with the timing and delivery of those lines it was unclear as to whether I was supposed to be laughing at just his reaction or at the concept of him having sex with a trans person.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah but how many of those subscriptions will expire before March and how many people will even remember to redeem this?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Oh! I didn't realize it would just be tacked on to the end.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I feel like I enjoyed everything about Dark Cloud 2 except for the core "gameplay." That is, dungeons were absurdly long, repetitive, and samey, and they ultimately just got in the way of all the other crap the game let you do. It just kinda feels like a collection of diversions, which I'm sure is exactly what some people want it to be, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. I just think Steambot Chronicles's take on that idea was more my thing.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

To give the obligatory dissenting opinion, I really didn't like Rogue Legacy; the movement and combat just didn't feel right to me. It kinda felt like they put post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania into this procedural generation framework but didn't take any cues from the actual mechanics that make those games enjoyable. Plus the generational thing sounds cool on paper but doesn't end up being that compelling of a gimmick.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

FFV on PSX has load times that don't exist in the original, but they are for some reason noticeably better in FFV than they are in the port of FFVI in the same anthology. I have no idea why.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

DopeGhoti posted:

Do please tell me more about problems with mouselook in your PlayStation Four game. :allears:

I assumed he was talking about the stick sensitivity? :confused:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

We ought to set up some kind of goon play group for Persona 4 when it drops. It's a really good game (or at least Arena was) and pretty beginner friendly. I'd definitely be up for some casual games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Don't be misled, there is only character. And his name is Kanji Tatsumi.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Eldred posted:

Did Kanji get buffed in Ultimax? I wanted to believe in the original but he just did not have much to work with.

Kanji is definitely not the best character in P4A but he's got some pretty good bits! I think he's really a spacing oriented character despite being a grappler. You always want to have the other guy either in range of lightning, your strong Persona attack that hits far ahead of you (sorry I can't remember specific buttons or attack names), his sweep, his light attack, his throw, or his command throw. That seems like a lot of distances but in reality there's a place the enemy can stand that makes it really hard for Kanji. I think his weird spacing is a big part of what makes him fun though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Shnag posted:

Does anyone know if Dragonball Xenoverse (for the ps4) is any good? I'm a big fan of the franchise, but never had any of the games. I've played one on gamecube years ago, though I found the fighting system a little weird.

I also want to get rocket league, but I don't really want to pay full price for it. I should have gotten it a couple months ago when it was on sale, now I'm not sure when thats going to happen again.

I think the fighting in DBX is pretty fun and basically like what it looks like on the show. The problem with the game is that it has this weird MMO-like grinding aspect to it that you have to do to unlock moves which gets pretty lame after a while. At least, that's what it was like on release. I don't know if it's true now.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think a lot of violent American games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are CERO Z in Japan. Not sure how well they do there though.

Also the Berserk PS2 game was CERO Z because you might as well not bother if it's not. :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The trick is to look at the super-deformed models as icons representing characters that you imagine in your head as you play.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

In Training posted:

Well, specifically, and insanely, you can do the single player stuff while the servers are down but you won't unlock anything by doing it because all that information is stored server side. Anything you do offline you will have to redo online later when the servers are working.

The funniest part is many people probably wouldn't care about the inability to unlock stuff if "Fight Money" weren't a big thing in this one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

I find myself considering the division despite not being excited about it only because I have $150 in psn cards and there is jack poo poo else to buy for a long time. Watch Dogs was a turd too but I almost platinum'd it due to the similar release time.

I love almost all Clancy games, tried rs siege recently and love it but I'm so so bad.

Dude all you gotta do is buy the Japanese version of Dark Souls and then the American version three weeks later.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The best part of that plan is how he'll still have about $10 left to put toward the season pass.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

there is no progress in the game that isn't part of its online store though outside of unlocking useless titles and colors.
Perhaps you overestimate what shipped but its literally 30 mins of story content, some bad survival mode, vs., and online netplay.
that's it.
you have no use for fight money unless you are going to be online and all that is stored server side to prevent cheating

I thought you used fight money to unlock characters? Can you get fight money through offline versus play?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

You have to be online to earn fight money. There is no way to earn fight money offline.

Haha, wow that's lovely for a fighting game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

El Hefe posted:

If they allowed people to earn those points offline someone would write a bot to get all the characters for free once they are released.

Oh, maybe I misread that response. I thought it meant you couldn't get Fight Money from playing the versus mode (as in, local versus) even if your console was connected to the internet. So you can earn fight money in offline versus if the ps4 is online? Because that would be much more understandable.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I did the first season of Galak Z today. It was really hard to get used to the Asteroids-esque controls but man is this game way better than I expected it to be. I love that the plot feels like some kind of 80s anime mixed with the story of an arcade shmup, and the whole TV aesthetic it's going for. I also really like the tension that comes from having to survive 5 episodes in a row to make it to the next season.

It's a cool game, definitely worry the ~$3 for PS+ this month.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i like frontline and nature

in chapter 2 you get a power that makes the ship and its upgrades pointless and the fights begin to get clusterfucky in a really annoying way.

That sucks. :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think you'll be pretty pleased with what you downloaded!

Edit: at least for one season.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Willo567 posted:

How does it get worse after season one? Don't you get the mech in season 2?

I still haven't played season two, but people say the mission design tanks somehow? I dunno.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

barren_sky posted:

I don't suppose anybody is buying that Tetris clone, Tetraminos, that came out today? I'd like a decent Tetris game on my PS4, but there's no way I'd give a dime to Ubisoft for their lovely version.

-e- after a closer look, despite it's name, it seems to have 3,2 and 1 block pieces too. I think I might wait for a sale and give it a shot.

If you find it for cheap, Puyo Puyo Tetris is really fun and also comes with Puyo Puyo. It's more versus-focused than most modern Tetris games are though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Can anyone go into what's so bad about ASB? I'm definitely not going to buy it at this point but I'm curious about what it does wrong exactly.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's fun so far! I knocked over a dinosaur and ended up in an evil laboratory with a bunch of eyeballs.

This game feels like it was made for VR. Also it's making me stupid motion sick!

What game is this again?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Seconding EDF, it's seriously very fun and easy to get into.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/19/the-last-blade-2-strikes-ps4-ps-vita-on-may-24/

The Last Blade 2 is coming to PS4/Vita, comes with new characters, online, cross-play.

This is amazing news.

Edit: Just to be clear, there are no new characters; the article was talking about its differences from the first game. It's probably a copy-pasted blurb they took from some promotional materials.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm eyeing Beyond: Two Souls and Alien: Isolation. For $11 a piece they don't seem like bad buys. Any opinions at those prices?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Anyone have any opinions on Deception IV: Nightmare Princess?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tetris Ultimate kinda sucked anyway from what I played of it, the controls felt really weird. I'd look into Puyo Puyo Tetris instead if you can find it for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Buy Nidhogg guys I love it.

Edit: Should note that this game's online component is completely dead.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 23, 2016

• Locked thread