Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Reserved Pyrite and Oil on Mushin. Don't know which one I'll use yet. :v:

Oh god why didn't I go for Fishing Pact? Has anyone taken that yet?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damone
May 3, 2009
Reserved Damone and Ylahi on Mushin, can't wait to spin it to win it or cleanse everything with purifying fire.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

khy posted:

Yes, but I've seen phrases like "Interesting and well-designed PvP" and "lack of a holy trinity" so often that my brain filters them out without realizing it. My eyes did linger on 'It gets pretty grindy' which for a KMMO could mean many different things.

So I figured I'd just ask in the hopes that someone here would give a good summary.

For what it's worth, I was sincere about that sort of stuff. This game does things kind of differently in terms of both PvP (1v1 and 3v3 equalized arenas) and PvE (flexible group compositions and creative boss mechanics that tie into the combat system well), and I think that's worth something in terms of setting this game apart from the others.

It certainly doesn't do everything perfectly. Like I said, questing is kind of bog-standard, but it goes by quickly. The dungeons are fun and challenging but you ARE still going to be doing them a lot to get upgrade materials for your weapon/accessory evolutions and new soul shields. The arenas are equalized gear wise, but not level wise, meaning you're still going to have to be at level cap (and keep up with hongmoon levels and skills when we get them) to be fully competitive.

I think the good aspects of the game outweigh the stuff it doesn't do as well, though. Much better than a lot of other KMMOs I've played over the years at least. I think the best thing is that both PvE and PvP are fleshed out enough to the point where if one isn't doing it for you, you can focus on the other without too much hassle.

Hopefully that was a better summary but if you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How bad are we talking about running dungeons for materials? One of the big things that made me finally give up on DFO was the fact the end game gear grind was literally running 1 dungeon about 3-4 times a day for 150 days to get a decent set. Because I don't mind stuff like GW2 where you kind of just do whatever you want and make some progress, but a literal half-year long time gate along with only 1 dungeon being viable to even run is just ... no thanks.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How bad are we talking about running dungeons for materials? One of the big things that made me finally give up on DFO was the fact the end game gear grind was literally running 1 dungeon about 3-4 times a day for 150 days to get a decent set. Because I don't mind stuff like GW2 where you kind of just do whatever you want and make some progress, but a literal half-year long time gate along with only 1 dungeon being viable to even run is just ... no thanks.

I only know so much seeing as we didn't have any purple endgame dungeons in beta, but judging by Korea you'll basically be running dailies for various dungeons to get evolution materials along with the chance for cool costumes, weapon skins, etc. We'll have at least two purple dungeons at launch, Poharan's dungeon (Serpent Supply Base/East Fleet Supply Chain) and Bloodshade Harbor. We'll be getting more over time but it's too early to tell what their release frequency will be like, only that they want us to get caught up as soon as possible. Korea has somewhere like 17-19 dungeons at this point (lv50 adds a LOT) so variety should get better and better over time. Really, it's not all that different from other MMOs where you'll gradually "gear up" to do harder stuff. It's just the gearing up is less looking for specific drops (Soul Shields still kind of work this way though) and more gradually upgrading your weapons and accessories.

Each dungeon has an easier 6-man version and a harder 4-man version that ups the damage/health of mobs and takes away all the aoe indicators. Some stuff (usually cosmetic stuff) only drops on 4man.

Speaking as someone who did the OV grind in DFO, I definitely can say it won't be anywhere near as bad as that was, at least. There's going to be a lot more variety especially as more content gets added over time.

In other news, if anyone hasn't seen the credits yet, load up BnS and go click on the button in the lower right. It's really adorable, especially if you leveled in Beta and know the NPCs.

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009
People over at the bladeandsouldojo forums are so angry about their anime names being taken (note: basically CMs took some popular names before name reservation was open to the public, initial thread about this is here). Some quotes:

quote:

Absolutely, that is totaly unfair. How could one take not 2 BUT 7 famous anime character names ? He is trolling yea, we are bunch of anime fans fags for some of you, yea.....but think about it, I TRULLY was one of the first who logged into the game and I paid a master pack to take my chance to reserve one of those names and there is some1 who already took them even before the official start, thats loving bullshit

some guy posted:

...the focus here is

1. They didn't tell us CMs will take the certain popular names before name reservation(false advertising on packs, I don't give a drat if they took the name "Youmukon", but "Naruto" and "Saber"? You better tell us this beforehand) ...

re: CM response on the issue posted:

I didn't rly care what he/she did but for that comment i would like to punch the hell out of him/her.
Is that fgt something special to look down at us? Stupidity at it's maximum
Yes it's actually his/her JOB to listen to the people. Funny and weird at the same time how someone like that douche got that job.

Meanwhile some NCSoft employees make some nice responses:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Welp, dead game. GMs have illegally stolen LITERALLY all of the names. You can't even make a character anymore because they're all taken by evil NCSoft employees!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I opened my wallets for intangible Internet things, I own stuff! :qq:

:psyduck:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm waiting to see how many Sephiroth variants pop up despite the fact that there's no real katana wielder in the game.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm waiting to see how many Sephiroth variants pop up despite the fact that there's no real katana wielder in the game.

Idk some Blade Master swords KIND of look like a katana. Also when they pop their multi-sword move the swords kind of fan out behind them, like a single wing!

Damone
May 3, 2009

ErrantSystems posted:

:drat: This is pretty much gold.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I can't imagine feeling actual, unironic pride at being named Naruto.

What I feel pride in is this:

ALL WILL CURSE THE NAME MOUSE RAT

And if the CMs are loving with people by claiming anime names, I feel better about the game already.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ErrantSystems posted:

People over at the bladeandsouldojo forums are so angry about their anime names being taken (note: basically CMs took some popular names before name reservation was open to the public, initial thread about this is here). Some quotes:

I wanna see the replies to that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh no, someone named their character Naruto, what will I and the thousands of anime fans do now? Use an original name? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I support any company that wants to troll animes.

This has actually made me want to play B&S more than anything else NCsoft has said so far.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7qFSVPzQqQ

It seems they also covered the "Emo Shouty Video" before anyone else too.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Does anyone know how the premium membership is going to work? Are the points from the cheap founders pack enough to purchase a month of premium so I can actually log into the game?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buhbuhj posted:

Does anyone know how the premium membership is going to work? Are the points from the cheap founders pack enough to purchase a month of premium so I can actually log into the game?

the points you get aren't like currency they are like a thing that fills up an imaginary bar that tells you how useful your premium is

its like a premium 'level'

you still gotta pay for premium separately

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Those points aren't currency, they're just the points that determine what "premium level" you're at and how good the perks are when you're on premium. Here's a chart about the premium levels but I forget how many points there are to get to each level. I know the Master Pack starts you off at level 4, Disciple is 3, and Initiate is 2.

As far as I know you'll be able to buy premium from the store on the char select screen using NCoin when Headstart begins. It's not currently on there since they're not enabling it until Headstart so it doesn't start ticking down for people. So if you have the cheapest pack you'll just have to see how much it ends up costing and get some NCoin (also can be done from the shop) and then buy Premium if you want to skip the queue.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ok I guess it was just worded weirdly in the founders pack description but that makes sense. Now I need to figure out if I should get cheap pack and a month of premium or just splurge on one of the other packs :anime:

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Speaking of charts here's another helpful one with the costs for leveling a clan and the associated perks.

You get cool poo poo like a workshop for clan crafting, reduced costs on weapon upgrades, and fast travel to guild members in your party. The costs don't seem all that bad either considering I was sitting on around 10 gold, 150 soulstones and 3 or 4 Naryu Silver after just a couple weekends of beta. Shouldn't be too bad to level naturally without breaking the bank. I think the faction insignias will be the most limiting factor just because you need so many of them.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Everyman posted:

Speaking of charts here's another helpful one with the costs for leveling a clan and the associated perks.

You get cool poo poo like a workshop for clan crafting, reduced costs on weapon upgrades, and fast travel to guild members in your party. The costs don't seem all that bad either considering I was sitting on around 10 gold, 150 soulstones and 3 or 4 Naryu Silver after just a couple weekends of beta. Shouldn't be too bad to level naturally without breaking the bank. I think the faction insignias will be the most limiting factor just because you need so many of them.

Faction insignia are from PvP right? I wouldn't mind grinding some insignia at head start to help level the guild but I'm not a big fan of world PvP. If we can get a group farm going I wouldn't feel so bad.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Velveteen posted:

Faction insignia are from PvP right? I wouldn't mind grinding some insignia at head start to help level the guild but I'm not a big fan of world PvP. If we can get a group farm going I wouldn't feel so bad.

Did somebody say world PVP? I'm in.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Anoia posted:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Anoia posted:

Plus, ganking newbs who have no idea how pvp costumes work is going to be great fun. Many tears were had in early beta... Can only imagine how great it'll be on release.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Velveteen posted:

Yup, they come from world PvP. Basically killing players or the other faction NPCs around the PvP hotspots gives you prestige points, and you can turn them in at the prestige npc in camps for items like the insignias or to raise your faction rank. If you die you lose any points you haven't turned in yet, though killing another player lets you take all the points they've farmed up. An icon next to player and npc names lets you know how many they're worth.

There's a risk/reward system in place since certain thresholds multiply the value of prestige points. I think it only applies when turning points in to increase your faction rank but it goes 1-10 points is a x1 multiplier, 11-20 is x2, and 21+ is x3. So turning in 15 points towards your rank actually gives you 30, and 25 would be worth 75. 21 is the magic number for turn ins basically.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I am kinda sad I didn't spring for name reservation ability because I kinda wanna make my summoner Bee then have Puppycat.

Oh well.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Velveteen posted:

Just sit by the place where the two faction dudes are in the first village and kick the poo poo out of all the newbies that put on their SWEET NEW BLUE CLOTHES without reading the description or understanding it. That should be good for a week worth of tears and easy insignia.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Reminds me of: https://youtu.be/eoPw7WwbD-M?t=1110

Oh, it's that kind of game:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I am kinda sad I didn't spring for name reservation ability because I kinda wanna make my summoner Bee then have Puppycat.

Oh well.

A month after launch they release all the reserved names, so if you try then you might be able to snag it and pay for a name change.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Zizi posted:

Just sit by the place where the two faction dudes are in the first village and kick the poo poo out of all the newbies that put on their SWEET NEW BLUE CLOTHES without reading the description or understanding it. That should be good for a week worth of tears and easy insignia.

This won't get you any points since there isn't a nearby NPC to trade in prestige. Zoning, changing channels, wind striding, dying, taking off your faction outfit and anything short of physically walking to the prestige NPC without crossing any zone boundaries resets any prestige you're holding onto.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

IRSmurf posted:

Reminds me of: https://youtu.be/eoPw7WwbD-M?t=1110

Oh, it's that kind of game:

A shameful 31% gloss.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Anoia posted:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So I heard there were oiled-up muscle men in this game :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I like your name

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I must be the only person who keeps oil sliders at the minimum because it looks all weird to me.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Determining the perfect balance between oily and not-oily is the most important part of character creation.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is at least 68.7% of the reason I'm gonna try this game on proper release day.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Amante posted:

Determining the perfect balance between oily and not-oily is the most important part of character creation.

Anime Wolverine. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Velveteen posted:

I must be the only person who keeps oil sliders at the minimum because it looks all weird to me.

This is specifically why I turned them right up.

Also if the characters are running everywhere I assume every PC stinks like an athlete covered in three day old sweat :v:

Probably going to play the martial artist because chinagame.exe

• Locked thread